Help me rescue the Rustang - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-25-2015, 09:31 PM   #1

Region: Wisconsin
Help me rescue the Rustang

I've got a 1999 Mustang v6. It's seen better days clearly and I've done little to it besides some nice little rocker stripes (in third picture) and a bit of exhaust work.

Yes it's a Stang and yes it's fast, but not fast and fun and sexy enough.

How do I rescue this thing.

I've been looking at
-New rims
-LED Headlights
-a big hood scoop
-CAI
-BAMA Tune
-a chin spoiler
-a new paint job
-weight reduction
-quarter window scoop
-spoiler delete

Which of these should come first and which of these can wait? Which of these are dumb vs smart?

Let me know!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1440556148.133144.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	190073

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1440556200.337910.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	190074

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1440556242.609197.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	190075

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Benedictbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2015, 04:40 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benedictbeck View Post
I've got a 1999 Mustang v6. It's seen better days clearly and I've done little to it besides some nice little rocker stripes (in third picture) and a bit of exhaust work.

Yes it's a Stang and yes it's fast, but not fast and fun and sexy enough.

How do I rescue this thing.

I've been looking at
-New rims
-LED Headlights
-a big hood scoop
-CAI
-BAMA Tune
-a chin spoiler
-a new paint job
-weight reduction
-quarter window scoop
-spoiler delete

Which of these should come first and which of these can wait? Which of these are dumb vs smart?

Let me know!
Okay. Just remember that you asked for it.

-New rims

MAYBE SMART.... MAYBE DUMB.....

Personally, I think a lot of the aftermarket wheel and tire combinations I see on V6 New Edges are more about a look and conforming with group-think and less about real performance enhancement.

The stock 15 x 7 Tri Spokes on my car are shockingly light. That matters to me because rotational mass takes torque to turn. I don't think the 3.8 has enough torque to squander any on spinning excess rotational mass. Rotational mass also takes swept brake area to stop. My car will go from 70-0 in under 170 feet using O.E.M. rotors and calipers. It wouldn't do that if I ran some of the wheel and tire combos that are the rage these days. The wheels are also stiff for their weight.

I'm anal about rotational mass because I auto-x and track the car. When I bought it, I had no intention of driving it every day, but I can't seem to keep my butt out of the driver's seat.

As long as I can still get 235 / 60 / 15 Pirelli P-600's and 225/60 Hoosier slicks, I'm sticking with the stock wheels. That's the plan, at least.

I'm not a huge fan of many of the wheels common to the current Mustang aftermarket -at least those meant for SN-95/New Edge applications. I don't think the quality of many of them matches O.E.M.

If I were to change wheels, it would probably be for a few sets of the forged 16" wheels that some V6 New Edge cars came with.. They have the D.O.T. info stenciled in them, cast wheels don't. I might just skip up to the genuine Ford O.E.M. Cobra R's I know people who wheel-to-wheel road race on them so I know how well they hold up.

I don't personally care too much about how my wheels look. I bought this car to get back in to auto-x and for track-toy duty on road racing courses, not to make a fashion statement.

Most people who buy wheels for their Mustangs seem to just pick a set they think looks *****in' without any consideration to how much they weigh, how stiff they are, what the bead seat is like, how hubcentric they are or aren't, how much run-out they have, or anything else that really matters in how a wheel performs.

If you're not one of those "most people," then I'll change my answer to "SMART."

-LED Headlights

DUMB IDEA

-a big hood scoop

REALLY DUMB IDEA

Do you really want to do weight reduction, or not? If you're concerned about the weight of your car, then why tack on any weight to it that doesn't have a functional purpose? "Big Hood Scoop" = "Special Needs Posuer" to me.

-CAI

DUMB IDEA, BUT A MASSIVELY POPULAR ONE

Ford already provided me with a cold air intake as O.E.M. and unlike the majority of aftermarket CAI kits, the O.E.M. setup doesn't go to the trouble of sucking air from outside of the engine compartment, only to have it sucked through a heat absorbing, heat retaining metallic tube. The O.E.M. setup uses a filter with more surface area that most of the aftermarket CAI kits use. That matters, because the same amount of crapola spread over a smaller filter area is more restrictive than if spread over a larger one. Even when clean, smaller surface area filters can act like their own kind of cork, bottling up the intake by creating a restriction that need not be present. And aftermarket CAI pretty much marries you to oiled, cotton-gauze element air filters upstream of a Mass Airflow sensor that likes to be meticulously clean if it is to meter airflow accurately. While legions will undoubtedly follow along claiming they've never had an issue with varnish forming inside a MAF sensor as a byproduct of filter oil residue, I know that CANNOT EVER be an issue as long as I run the stock, paper-element Motorcraft air filter. Aftermarket CAI is highly unlikely to add any hp because the O.E.M. set-up already can flow as much air as the stock longblock can make use of at wide-open throttle and max rpm. It is more likely to make LESS power than stock because of smaller filtration surface area and drawing air through a heat absorbing, heat retaining metal tube. The stock set-up doesn't look sexy or sound *****in' but it works really well. If you want to fix a real bottleneck in the intake tract, the place to do that is in the intake manifold, We know this has to be the case by comparing 3.8 split port outputs in various applications. I had mine extrude-honed. It doesn't look sexy and that doesn't give all the benefit that swapping for a plastic manifold would, because the air running through that will be a few degrees cooler than if running through an aluminum one.

-BAMA Tune

SMART IDEA

I did this to my car when it was still running the original engine. I got every bit of the gain they claim for this plus the SR Performance CAI without using the CAI and I know I did because one of the first things I did when buying the car was having it dyno'd, which I did afterwards. That gain is with the canned 92 octane race tune. Gains with the lesser tunes were minimal but the thing was still worth it for what it did for my lazy-shifting slushbox, the ability to have my speedo read true for my ring and pinion gears, the ability to delete the passive anti-theft, rear O2 if I want to do something different with my exhaust set up, and to turn off the speed limiter function so the car no longer stops accelerating at 117 mph with plenty of tach left to spare.

-a chin spoiler

Not DUMB, Not Smart

They look cool on other people's cars. I'm too much of a tightwad bastage to buy one for mine -so far, anyhow.

-a new paint job

SMART idea if you're in to owning the car over the long haul. DUMB Idea if the Mustang is a short-term fling

I plan on doing this and spending what it costs to have it done right. But I also plan on keeping my car until I die or until I kill it like I killed my Porsche that I had before it by splattering it to a road race course wall at 120+ mph.

-weight reduction

VERY SMART IDEA, but it doesn't jibe with fake scoops

Colin Chapman of Lotus Cars, Ltd fame would be proud of you. If he were responding to this, he would tell you that adding power to a car makes it faster coming out of corners and getting down straits, but making a car lighter makes it faster everywhere on the track. I think he was right.

This is actually the first "mod" I did to my car. It was a time-consuming pain in the arse, but worth it in the end. Some of the weight taken out got added back in via subframe connectors, strut and shock tower braces, and a roll bar, and so on.

-quarter window scoop

DUMB IDEA

It costs money. It does nothing functional. It adds weight. It takes away a function (being able to see out of the car).

-spoiler delete

Not DUMB, Not SMART

I like that clean "Bullitt" look on other people's cars. On mine, I like the style of the '99 spoiler best but what I really like it for is a handy place to set stuff on while I fumble around in my pockets for keys.

IF YOU REALLY WANT TO MAKE THIS THING MORE FUN TO DRIVE

Instead of spending money of tacky, tack-on, non-functional scoops, which aren't exactly free, I' recommend applying that money toward the purchase of subframe connectors and strut and shock tower braces.

Then I'd do quality adjustable caster / camber plates, performance struts and shocks, and lowering springs, along with a rear anti-sway bar.

If it were me, I would do what I did, not blow money on aftermarket wheels when my O.E.M. ones do what I want them to do, but blow $275.00 per each for four Pirelli P-600's in 235 /60 -15.

With the money I didn't spend on wheels that look *****in', I'd get something that IS *****in' -a limited-slip differential and a set of either 4,10 or 3.73 gears, plus the cost to have them installed.

Personally, where acceleration is concerned, I think the two best bangs for the buck are ECU flash tuning and 3.73 or 4.10 ring and pinion gears with limited slip. The ring and pinion swap with limited slip will transform the car in a way that fake scoops and l.e.d. headlights and chin spoilers and CAI won't.
threepointeight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 05:12 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas

What LED headlights are you thinking of? I have the ones from Latemodel Restoration and although they cost entirely too much, I would buy them again in a heartbeat. Even with new lenses, my 03 was scary to drive at night before I got the LED headlights.

Just to be clear, I'm using OEM style housings.

PS: love that color! I added a chin spoiler to mine as well and honestly would make that the first appearance mod to any 99-04.
dwbrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2015, 07:13 AM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
We're all thinking it but I'll be the one to say it. Sell it and get a V8.

Take all that mod money and the cost of the car and look to see about selling the car and getting a GT. It will probably be right around that price or not much more. If you can't find a 99+, you sure as hell will be able to find a 96-98 GT and those are easy enough to PI swap and at that point they'll make more power than a 99-04 because of the higher compression 96-98 motor with 99+ heads.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 11:56 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Gears
Exhaust
Tuner
Intake
Tlock
Also look into a Windstar intake. Subframe,lowering springs, rear sway bar, racing seats, lower control arms

I like my v6 mustang got most bolt on its not the fastest but it's just fun to drive. Look at latemodel they have hid you can get which look good and are brighter then stock.

kickerofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 02:27 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
im gonna go against just selling it for a GT. Been there and done that. Sold my 04 bolt on GT for my 04 v6. Way more fun for the type of driving I do. In the end if you like your car and just want a fun cruiser or even corner carver just build up what you have. If you really like speeding in a straight line maybe consider a GT but only if that's a priority. Other then that threepointeight had some great points made.

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 03:34 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
There is nothing wrong with dumping money into a V6. I did it before and loved the car. My only gripe was it didn't have the beautiful sound of an odd fire V8. If it wasn't for that I would have kept it. It was fun to drive, sounded great for a V6 and I loved the way mine looked.

Some food for thought. You will hear it would be more cost effective to sell a V6 and add 2 more cylinders. And in the grand scheme of things I'd be inclined to agree. But I don't think that some people consider for those that are on a budget, it's easier for them to spend money here and there building their V6, over the higher upfront cost of buying a V8. But if it can be worked into the budget I'll always recommend going the V8 route.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 08-26-2015, 03:38 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I would love to own a GT but for now, will settle for my wife and I's 3.8 vert. We choose to keep it stock and just use it for cruising on a nice evening or a full day of sun. We are 64-65 years young, married for 44 years and truly enjoy the gas saving qualities of the v6. Not our first mustang as we had one back in early seventies. I had a 1966 2+2 fastback. We loved that one too and surely wish we had it back . Was a great little car before we had too many children. Anyway, love the fact that our car draws the attention of ricers and large diesel pickups who like to drive by with pedal to the metal, hot-rodding to their hearts content trying to impress us..haha. We have had a few race cars in our life time, some sleepers. Would make most of the ricers turn their heads. Anyway, if you have the v6 enjoy it for what it is. And threepointeight hit most things right on the head, and spend your money where it will do the most good.
yogibooboorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 05:06 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Why is it that so many people answer to stop hunger, BUY A V-8, World Peace, BUY A V8, cure cancer, BUY A V8, stop farting, BUY A V8.....

You have to buy what you can afford. Being able to afford doesn't mean never going out to eat again, going commando because you can't afford to purchase underwear, or only taking a shower once a week, can't afford soap and water.

Your V6 can be a nice little project car. You can take your time and shop for bargains and know that you brought it back to life.

Or, you can BUY A V8!
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 05:41 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
Why is it that so many people answer to stop hunger, BUY A V-8, World Peace, BUY A V8, cure cancer, BUY A V8, stop farting, BUY A V8.....

You have to buy what you can afford. Being able to afford doesn't mean never going out to eat again, going commando because you can't afford to purchase underwear, or only taking a shower once a week, can't afford soap and water.

Your V6 can be a nice little project car. You can take your time and shop for bargains and know that you brought it back to life.

Or, you can BUY A V8!

It's not always the case but often times it's a realistic thing to consider. GTs in that price range are probable 2,500-4 k more then a v6 all things being equal. From the mods he listed that would probable be a few grand at least. With a GT you don't just get a better engine you get better suspension as well as some appearance goodies that some v6s won't have ( larger rims, spoiler, etc).

I drive a v6 and enjoy it but from a financial standpoint its not a bad idea to consider if he could sell his car buy a GT and have a small car payment opposed to dumping a few grand in his v6 and not be at the GT level of performance. I say that because he is clearly concerned about performance from his planed mod list.

Additionally those year v6s are difficult to get much more power out of with bolt ons. As long as he has realistic expectations on where the car will be. But I would hate for him to do this all still not be happy with the performance and end up selling for a GT. At that point he will lose even more money.

StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 07:10 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

OP. You listed a few cosmetic mods. I think they make a big difference. Just look at my wife's 3.8 compared to my GT. The Mach 1 stuff makes it look mean. And I personally like the GT hood scoop as far as appearances go. The GT side scoops like mine I think look much better than the V6 and ealier GT scoops as well.

On my last Dark Shadow Grey 03 3.8 I did the GT hood scoop. Yes it's not cheap, yes it's not functional, but damn it looked good. Yes I want performance, but I want to look at the car and say to myself "Damn that thing looks good." A worth while trade off for the cost and couple of extra pounds. Hell my wife's purse weighs more than the combined weight of the plastic hood scoop and side scoops.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1440633897166.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	190129  
Old 08-27-2015, 05:57 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
We're all thinking it but I'll be the one to say it. Sell it and get a V8.
We're not "all thinking it".

The V6 New Edge might suck as a muscle car, but as a foundation to build a sports car out of, it has a lot going for it.

I've had two V8 Mustangs -a '66 GT and a '92 LX. I don't miss them. I drove an '87 Porsche 924S for nearly two decades and I would still be driving it today if I hadn't had a "special needs" moment in it while doing over 120 mph on a road course. I missed that car every day thereafter, until I got going on my V6 New Edge project. Now, I don't miss the Porsche, either.

Since the object of the exercise for me was replacing a Porsche and not a muscle car, I started with the more "Porsche like" of the two main New Edge versions -the V6. It is the more Porsche-like of the two because it is closer to 50/50 weight distribution that the Porsche had and a lot closer to the Porsche's 3,050 lb curb weight. It's closer in other areas, too, like the location of center of mass of the engine, which is lower and biased more toward the center of the car than it would be with a 4.6 V8 under the hood, and it starts off closer to the Porsche's "neutral" feel in terms of understeer and oversteer. For a lot of reasons too complex to get in to here, the V6 version of the car takes less rear bar to get closer to a neutral feel than the GT does. The V6 also enjoys the potential handling advantage afforded by the lighter 7.5" drive axle, and that's an advantage because added unsprung weight on a live axle rear suspension tends to exacerbate the shortcomings such suspensions have over IRS arrangements.

Power was the least of my concerns. The other Mustangs I had came from the factory with more power than the stock chassis, suspension, and brakes could make full use of. The New Edge V6 is similar in that regard, at least where the chassis and suspension are concerned. Having more power than my tires, brakes, suspension, and chassis can support is a waste to me. And as the car was stock, it already enjoyed a not altogether insignificant 23 hp advantage over the Porsche it replaced, with that power peaking a full 1,250 rpm lower, and with more of it available all over the power band, while being in the same curb-weight ballpark.

Since power was the least of my concerns, it was the last thing I addressed prior to paint, which still hasn't been addressed. Having addressed the power issue, I'm content with the 165 hp and 192 ft/lbs of torque it gets to the rear wheels. That's enough to have friends puke their lunch immediately upon exit after "riding shotgun" in the passenger seat for a few hot laps around the track. It's enough, with the right gearing, to nudge a tick over 130 mph according to GPS. Having plastered my prior toy in to a racetrack wall at that speed, I'm not inclined to want to do it a second time at a faster speed in something that isn't a fully prepared, dedicated race car with no license plates on it. In all honesty, if I am going to go faster than 130 mph in a vehicle, I not only want it to have wings, but three-axis flight controls and an aerobatic rating.

On the street, I could care less if some high-school kid in "rice d' jour" with an engine hooked up to a bottle of laughing gas gets across a controlled intersection before I do. I ain't in that big of a hurry to get anywhere unless I'm dodging cones in a parking lot or rippin' around a road course. I'm a grown adult with nothing substantive to gain or win in street racing and I have the kind of job that I would be very quickly terminated from if I got caught engaging in it.

At the local level autocross events I've participated in, some of the hottest shoes of the day are invariably piloting Mazda MX-5's, some of which would struggle to romp down 1320' of asphalt from a standing start in less than 17 seconds and have an equally hard time seeing 60 from 0 in 7 seconds or less. There's a reason why "Get a Miata" is the pat answer to "I wanna get in to autocross" even though they won't run mid 13's off the showroom floor.

And I understand that there's a reason why "Get a GT" is the pat answer to "I wanna make my Mustang faster," too. I've never been much in to drag racing, though I've done plenty of it for a guy who doesn't really dig it all that much. One thing I figured out pretty quick when I was hanging out at the Pomona Drag Strip for the street legals was that no matter whether I brought my AAR "Cuda or LT-1 Stingray or 5.0, somebody had a quicker car, and no matter how quick I made mine, that little problem would never go away.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:04 AM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

If I was going to get into autocross on the cheap I'd buy a FC RX7 and drop a L33/T56 into it with a Turbo II rear and widebody fenders and do the suspension. Or for REALLY cheap I'd buy an older Miata rolling chassis and drop a junkyard Explorer engine and a T-5 into it and rebuild the rear.

Both of these options WAY before dealing with the horror that is the handling characteristics of the Fox4. Only reason I still have one is because I got a special edition car for a ridiculous price that already had factory Steeda suspension put on it and even then it still needs another $1500 or so of suspension to be good.

But yes I understand what you are saying but the OP seems like he is worried about power as well. With the price of 96-98 GTs these days, just get one of those or hold out a little longer for a 99-up but the 96-98 GT is the way better buy these days IMO for the money.

If I was going to get a V6 Mustang, it would be a 05-09 S197 simply because if I am going to sacrifice power I'm going to make sure I start off with a platform that is way cheap to set up for handling vs the Fox4 chassis and I'm also going to have my fat *** in the MUCH better 05+ interior.

Also the 4.0 V6 actually can make halfway decent power with 4.10s, bolt ons and a tune. Enough for the average person to call it very "peppy" or a lot of "passing power" lol.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:45 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Just throwing this out there!.. But the HP and Torque that the 2v makes, does more than just compensate for the Added weight of the GT parts!.. Yes if you want to Go Fast For Cheap, the GT is the better way to go!.. The last few AutoX events I went to, all the Top Cars where Highly Modded Miatas, One Race Car Prepped Thunderbird, and me and my buddies SN95 Mustangs (2 GTs and 1 V6)!.. Me and my one buddy ran better lap times than the V6!.. Funny thing is, my GT is a Auto, and I have No Suspension mods done (unless you count front and rear strut bars, and 4point K-member brace from MM)!.. I also have the stock rear end with 2:73 gears!.. Now for some comparison, the V6 had Full Bolt Ons, manual, 4:10 gears, and a host of suspension/handling goodies!..

Now with that being said, do some research and get the best Starting Point you can afford!..

Sent from Me and Only Me!.. 🍺
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 07:47 AM   #15
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner View Post
Just throwing this out there!.. But the HP and Torque that the 2v makes, does more than just compensate for the Added weight of the GT parts!.. Yes if you want to Go Fast For Cheap, the GT is the better way to go!.. The last few AutoX events I went to, all the Top Cars where Highly Modded Miatas, One Race Car Prepped Thunderbird, and me and my buddies SN95 Mustangs (2 GTs and 1 V6)!.. Me and my one buddy ran better lap times than the V6!.. Funny thing is, my GT is a Auto, and I have No Suspension mods done (unless you count front and rear strut bars, and 4point K-member brace from MM)!.. I also have the stock rear end with 2:73 gears!.. Now for some comparison, the V6 had Full Bolt Ons, manual, 4:10 gears, and a host of suspension/handling goodies!..

Now with that being said, do some research and get the best Starting Point you can afford!..

Sent from Me and Only Me!..
That means the person driving the V6 can't drive to save his/her life or there was some sort of serious mechanical problem. A V6 manual with aftermarket suspension should walk away from an auto GT with stock suspension.

Old 08-27-2015, 08:01 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

He also drove my buddies GT and turned in better lap times!..

Old 08-27-2015, 08:03 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Also just throwing this out there, but the Porsche 924S was a POS from the very beginning!.. So trying to use that as your basis for comparison is just weak!..

Old 08-27-2015, 08:41 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Also just throwing this out there, but the Porsche 924S was a POS from the very beginning!.. So trying to use that as your basis for comparison is just weak!..

I'll just throw this back at you.

Your assertion that the Porsche 924S was a POS is a supreme public display of ignorance.

But please, don't take my word for it. The next time you're at an SCCA Solo event, try running your opinion of that car past anyone present who was active in autocross in the late 80s and early 90s and see how many people you can find who share it.

edited to add: Make sure you add the "S" to the end of "924" if you inquire about the car, because it makes a difference. A 924S is not the same thing mechanically as the previous 2.0 924 was -that's even more true if it had the M030 option group that mine had.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:51 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by threepointeight View Post
I'll just throw this back at you.

Your assertion that the Porsche 924S was a POS is a supreme public display of ignorance.

But please, don't take my word for it. The next time you're at an SCCA Solo event, try running your opinion of that car past anyone present who was active in autocross in the late 80s and early 90s and see how many people you can find who share it.

Lol. The fact that a SN95 V6 can pull away from one!.. That's not ignorance!.. That's facts!.. Not to mention the only reason the 924S was built, was to pull Porsche out of a financial S*** hole!..

Old 08-27-2015, 08:57 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That means the person driving the V6 can't drive to save his/her life or there was some sort of serious mechanical problem. A V6 manual with aftermarket suspension should walk away from an auto GT with stock suspension.
I would concur.

Stock, assuming we're talking New Edge with the split-port, those cars could run the quarter in 15.7 at 90 and do 0-60 in 7.1 seconds.

I would imagine that one with a 4.10 gear would be quicker still, but I don't have to use my imagination.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:57 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Funny too how Porsche later built the 924S with the idea of competing!.. Yet Ford built the V6 Mustang just as a Bare Bones Car, with no competing in mind!.. Yet it still performed better!..

Old 08-27-2015, 09:02 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I would concur.

Stock, assuming we're talking New Edge with the split-port, those cars could run the quarter in 15.7 at 90 and do 0-60 in 7.1 seconds.

I would imagine that one with a 4.10 gear would be quicker still, but I don't have to use my imagination.

Imagination and real world are two different things!.. I know several guys with SN95 V6 cars!.. Only one of them is faster than a Stock GT of the same year!.. But then again his car is fully built with a Turbo pushing over 500hp at the wheels!..

Old 08-27-2015, 09:13 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Funny too how Porsche later built the 924S with the idea of competing!.. Yet Ford built the V6 Mustang just as a Bare Bones Car, with no competing in mind!.. Yet it still performed better!..

What's even funnier is your prior assertion that an SN 95 with a single port 3.8 putting power down through a 2.73 gear is going to "walk away" from a car that could run the quarter mile in 15.7 to 15.9 with a trap speed of 88 to 90 mph or manage to keep up once it hits the speed limiter at 116 to 118 mph with a car that would do 142 mph in fifth gear. That made my day.

I guess you weren't aware that the Porsche 924S and 944 were once in the same stock production class for SCCA Club Wheel to Wheel road racing that 5.0 Mustangs and V8 F-Bodies were classed in.

Been there, done that.

Have you?
Old 08-27-2015, 09:31 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

I had a 94 3.8 years ago. I wouldn't have a hard time finding almost any vehicle that wasn't faster. The measly 140 hp, and 2.73's provided for a very underwhelming experience.

I would still think mod for mod (gears, suspension, brakes, engine bolt ons) the extra HP and TQ in the GT negates the weight difference between it and the V6.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:54 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What's even funnier is your prior assertion that an SN 95 with a single port 3.8 putting power down through a 2.73 gear is going to "walk away" from a car that could run the quarter mile in 15.7 to 15.9 with a trap speed of 88 to 90 mph or manage to keep up once it hits the speed limiter at 116 to 118 mph with a car that would do 142 mph in fifth gear. That made my day.

I guess you weren't aware that the Porsche 924S and 944 were once in the same stock production class for SCCA Club Wheel to Wheel road racing that 5.0 Mustangs and V8 F-Bodies were classed in.

Been there, done that.

Have you?

No!.. What's funny now is how your trying to Exaggerate your numbers!.. The best time for a stock 924S was actually about a 16.3!.. Not the 15.7 to 15.9 that your claiming!.. Where as a SN95 V6 would average 15.7 with some actually hitting 15.4 in stock trim!.. The Porsche was built with "performance" in mind!.. Where as the Mustang V6 was not!.. Hence the speed limiter kicking in about 117!.. But simply turn it off and 130+ can be expected!..

If the 924 was such a great car, why couldn't Porsche sell more!.. Especially for the price tag!.. Even top Porsche execs have tried to forget about that car!..

Old 08-27-2015, 09:57 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Pony View Post
I had a 94 3.8 years ago. I wouldn't have a hard time finding almost any vehicle that wasn't faster. The measly 140 hp, and 2.73's provided for a very underwhelming experience.

I would still think mod for mod (gears, suspension, brakes, engine bolt ons) the extra HP and TQ in the GT negates the weight difference between it and the V6.

It is and does!.. The only V6 Mustang built with any real perforce from the factory is the New 3.7 Cyclone!..

Old 08-27-2015, 10:50 AM   #27
Staff
Regular
Staff

Did you guys all miss the part about the track times the guy was talking about were autox? Lol read the thread.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Old 08-27-2015, 11:19 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Did you guys all miss the part about the track times the guy was talking about were autox? Lol read the thread.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

The only track I see him talking about with any times, is the 1/4!...

Old 08-27-2015, 12:26 PM   #29
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:

Lol I was responding to YOU dude... guess someone's signals got crossed somewhere.

That's what happens when ppl try to make pre 2011 V6s fast, weird **** starts going on.

Old 08-27-2015, 12:40 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

I never said the pre 2011 V6 was fast!..

Old 08-27-2015, 04:27 PM   #31
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky

This whole Porsche 924S vs V6 mustang comparison is amusing. Keep it going.

Pick your poison.
Recon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 05:17 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Recon View Post
This whole Porsche 924S vs V6 mustang comparison is amusing. Keep it going.

Pick your poison.

Porsches suck!... Mustangs are great!... V6!!!! 😜

Old 08-27-2015, 05:20 PM   #33
Registered Member

Regular

Whatever floats your boat.

Pick your poison.
Old 08-27-2015, 06:24 PM   #34
Staff
Regular
Staff

I just drove by some cray cray Porsche today going to work. Was something out of the 80s with gigantic fender flares in the back and sounded like the guy either had engine work done or straight pipes or something no idea. Looked kinda cool.

Old 08-27-2015, 06:31 PM   #35
Registered Member

Regular

They come with large rear fender flares from the factory. At least from the 80s.

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1440718298.658817.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	190166

Pick your poison.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang