HELP Pricing and advice!! V6 rebuild or upgrade the motor??? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-14-2015, 09:41 PM   #1

Region: Oklahoma
HELP Pricing and advice!! V6 rebuild or upgrade the motor???

I am the proud owner of a 2004 40th edition automatic 3.9L Ford mustang. it has ORH headers, long tubes, and flowmaster 40's with dumps. But sadly my precious mustang needs to have the motor rebuilt sometime. SO should I spend the money to rebuild the v6 or upgrade to a v8, or a 5.0 or cut my losses and sell the car and buy something else? Im in Oklahoma if that matters for any of the laws. This is the first time Ive ever had any problems like this so Im very green on this. Absolutely any and all advise is helpful.
04v6_god is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2015, 09:46 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04v6_god View Post
I am the proud owner of a 2004 40th edition 3.9L Ford mustang. it has ORH headers, long tubes, and flowmaster 40's with dumps. But sadly my precious mustang needs to have the motor rebuilt sometime. SO should I spend the money to rebuild the v6 or upgrade to a v8, or a 5.0 or cut my losses and sell the car and buy something else? Im in Oklahoma if that matters for any of the laws. This is the first time Ive ever had any problems like this so Im very green on this. Absolutely any and all advise is helpful.

what problems do you have,why do you need to rebuild?
ALLYDRIVER1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 10:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLYDRIVER1 View Post
what problems do you have,why do you need to rebuild?
I was told by my dad who took it to the shop for me (because he wants me more worried about school dumb right? kidding) that the seals in the bottom of the motor were ruined. To fix those it would be the same as rebuilding it, or replacing the motor. Plus this is the best opportunity i have had to throw a big ol beefed up engine in it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2015, 10:26 PM   #4

i love this car its the only thing i have paid for by myself and have my loan down to $700 so i would love to have this car paid off and ready to rock for a long time and at least get me through college.
Old 09-14-2015, 11:49 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I was told by my dad who took it to the shop for me (because he wants me more worried about school dumb right? kidding) that the seals in the bottom of the motor were ruined. To fix those it would be the same as rebuilding it, or replacing the motor. Plus this is the best opportunity i have had to throw a big ol beefed up engine in it.

drop the transmission replace rear main seal,remove harmonic balancer from front of crankshaft replace seal..change oil and drive for a long time 5 hrs tops labor, $30 for seals $25 for oil and filter, shouldn't cost more than $400 depending on who does work,you do not want shop that told your dad that you needed to replace engine to touch your car ever again. he's a rip off artist or just plain stupid. maybe just needs a bunch of money for pulling your engine and replacing gaskets and seals cleaning up and re-installing. telling you that you have new engine..
Old 09-15-2015, 12:26 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
How many miles are on your car?
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 01:08 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
If you didnt want to try to fix it or just want to put a beefier engine in you can look for a 04-05 Crown Vic PI 4.6 V8. They can be had for low miles pretty cheap, like in the $500-$1k range from what ive seen. There are members on this forum that have done this and it works quite well. Im not 100% sure how your trans will mate up to the PI motor but i dont think its that bad at all, im sure somone will chime in with that info. If you can do the work yourself you could do this for less than a grand for sure or find ANOTHER shop to take the 6 out and drop in the 8 if your going to spend money on an engine rebuild anyway, the cost probably wouldnt be that much more. Im sure once you do your research, and possibly get a 2nd opinion on your current motor situation you will figure out what you want to do. If you want more power and upgrade to a V8 then this would be the easiest most cost effective way IMO.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 09:40 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Cut your losses and call the bank. Sell the trans and shell if you can.

It takes a LOT to turn a V6 into a GT. Just save money, and then take out a small loan and get something you don't have to worry about..

You're gonna need a second car even if you do decide to convert the V6 to a GT..

Or keep the V6 stang as a project car so you can just build whatever you want throughout the next 10 years. Do it on the side while you're driving your shiny V8 car not worrying about anything but basic upkeep and how to make the exhaust sound radical

Ill let you in on a secret: Most of these projects are never 100% done.
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 09:25 PM   #9

Update: put the computer on it. The number 3 & 6 valve sensors are slow. Got told to change the coils
Old 09-17-2015, 09:51 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
update: Put the computer on it. The number 3 & 6 valve sensors are slow. Got told to change the coils

just what problems are you having with the mustang?though you said oil leaking
Old 09-17-2015, 09:52 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Thumbs down

Quote:

SEE ABOVE
Old 09-17-2015, 09:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLYDRIVER1 View Post
just what problems are you having with the mustang?though you said oil leaking
The oil leak was my pan and I fixed it. But there is oil in the actual motor itself. But it's misfiring in the 3 and 6 valve

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang