1998 3.8 auto to manual swap help pls. Serious inquiry - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-27-2015, 11:01 PM   #1

Region: Florida
1998 3.8 auto to manual swap help pls. Serious inquiry

I've recently acquired a fresh titled 98 by blown motor and auto trans, however I have perfect donor car with perfect motor and manual trans, 98 as well. Same year etc, so I've got all the parts. Few questions, first the auto car has an alarm as manual is just base model standard, is the alarm tied in with what I may need to swap? I was planning full motor tranny swap, so should I bypass auto wiring? Or bring over the manual harness? And in doing so swap ecus? will that affect alarm? I'd like to keep the alarm an electric key locks. and last question, I believe the keys are chipped, so do I have to change ignition etc, sorry for the wall of questions but any help is appreciated.
98mustangsupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2015, 11:14 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
1998 3.8 auto to manual swap help pls. Serious inquiry

The motor and trans wire harnesses are completely separate from the dash wire harness and any aftermarket or factory alarm. You will want to use the harness from the motor and trans it belongs to.

Yes, computer swaps are also required. Computers are specific to motor trans combos.

The motor trans harnesses will plug into a main plug and you will not have to worry about keys or anything else
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 11:16 PM   #3

Edited: Sorry half missed a Few things from your post, super long day lol.

so all in all should be just a.simple motor/trans and harness swap, practically plug and play? Other than peddle drilling etc. I start pulling/swapping tomorrow I'll post any hurdles I run across. Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2015, 11:21 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98mustangsupra View Post
Is the key chipped to ignition or ecu? An I believe the alarm on the auto is factory option alarm not some aftermarket

There is a different module for the key programming. The computer or ECU is just that engine control unit. None of that other stuff will be affected.
Old 09-27-2015, 11:25 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98mustangsupra View Post
Edited: Sorry half missed a Few things from your post, super long day lol.

so all in all should be just a.simple motor/trans and harness swap, practically plug and play? Other than peddle drilling etc. I start pulling/swapping tomorrow I'll post any hurdles I run across. Thank you

Yeah, are you doing the same motor swap or going like v6 to v8?

If that were the case some things might be affected like the speedometer and gauges. But if it's the same platform it's easy as pie.

Clutch and brake pedal swaps over no prob. You have everything from the donor car so that makes it really easy.
Old 09-27-2015, 11:30 PM   #6

Ya same exact platform, I figured it should be easy but wanted to make sure as most of my electrical/wiring experience comes from my 85 Toyota supra, it's like caveman efi and super basic haha and with things like chipped keys etc I wasnt sure, so you've cleared up a ton.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:01 AM   #7

Are the drive shafts different or the same, does anyone know?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang