A/C Problem - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-26-2015, 11:30 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Question A/C Problem

The heat in my '01 V6 doesn't work seemingly at all. The actual cool air works perfectly, but the heat (even at the highest heat setting) blows ~65 degree air when at engine operating temperatures. With winter approaching, the outside temperature being around 10 degrees, the fact that I park my car outside, and now the fact that I find the heater doesn't work makes me really dread driving the Mustang

I would think the heat not working would be impossible, seeing as the engine gets really hot (relative to typical things) while in use , and I thought the heat for the a/c got drawn from the engine (but I don't know for sure, so don't quote me on that)

I tried looking up if anyone has had a similar problem and couldn't find anything, so I'm turning to you guys

Thanks
JudenInduven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2015, 08:22 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Sounds as though your heater core is plugged up. My first question is this: is your car running at normal temp or is it fluctuating or running hot. Your thermostat may be the culprit, not opening fully when running temp is reached. I would start there. Also, your hot/cold settings are vacuum controlled I believe. The vacuum control may be malfunctioning. Lots of variables here to check out.
yogibooboorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 08:27 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Before you go crazy you don't have any coolant leaks do you?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
dave73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2015, 11:03 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
-Yeah, system needs to be bled of air and definitely verified that it is full. Remove air bleed plug, squeeze hoses, watch it as it's on and circulating through the bleed plug hole.
I would flush it with water only & keep checking/recording the heat temperature as water is flushing out system & circulating.
Once a chemical cleaner is added, it is a bear to completely clean it out for fresh fluid.
-94-04 V6 needs to have a thermostat with a bleed hole in it set at 12:00, towards the firewall.
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 01:12 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave73 View Post
Before you go crazy you don't have any coolant leaks do you?

Nope, no coolant leaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogibooboorange View Post
Sounds as though your heater core is plugged up. My first question is this: is your car running at normal temp or is it fluctuating or running hot. Your thermostat may be the culprit, not opening fully when running temp is reached. I would start there. Also, your hot/cold settings are vacuum controlled I believe. The vacuum control may be malfunctioning. Lots of variables here to check out.
The car's temperature is entirely steady. And those all sound like quite possible solutions to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by robb15033 View Post
-Yeah, system needs to be bled of air and definitely verified that it is full. Remove air bleed plug, squeeze hoses, watch it as it's on and circulating through the bleed plug hole.
I would flush it with water only & keep checking/recording the heat temperature as water is flushing out system & circulating.
Once a chemical cleaner is added, it is a bear to completely clean it out for fresh fluid.
-94-04 V6 needs to have a thermostat with a bleed hole in it set at 12:00, towards the firewall.
Definitely sounds like a plan.

Thanks for all the help guys, it gives me some good starting points for this
JudenInduven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 01:19 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Just to add another option...the blend door could not be going to full heat. My brother had that issue before

gqsmash is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang