Grinding When Shifting? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-30-2015, 10:18 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Grinding When Shifting?

Hey all,

So, sometimes when I stop and shift into first, the shift knob kind of kicks back in my hand, grinds, and refuses to go in. Usually, if I move it to neutral and then back it's just fine. Same thing happens going into second, third, and fifth occasionally.

The only thing I can think of is that my clutch (which is probably going to go out in 300-400 miles) isn't engaging all the way or something. I always push the clutch all the way in, though. Could a misalignment of the shift knob going into a gear cause this horrendous grinding noise?
JudenInduven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2015, 10:53 AM   #2
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Could be an issue with the clutch, the cable might not be tight enough or the trans itself is shot. I would not keep on grinding away if the issue is not the trans itself tho or it quickly will become an issue.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 12:17 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Could be an issue with the clutch, the cable might not be tight enough or the trans itself is shot. I would not keep on grinding away if the issue is not the trans itself tho or it quickly will become an issue.
I really hope it's the clutch. My mechanic said it did look pretty bad, but could last me until the end of the year, tops. Right now I only have to depress the clutch pedal maybe 3-5 inches to be able to shift, or probably about 1/5 of the clutch's arc.

I'll go to the mechanic tomorrow, since I noticed this a month or two ago but didn't think anything of it. Thanks for the info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2015, 07:36 AM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
If you are grinding it every time you shift the clutch needs to get done asap and hope you didn't bork the synchros.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 11:10 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
If you are grinding it every time you shift the clutch needs to get done asap and hope you didn't bork the synchros.
It's not nearly every time I shift. Maybe one out of every 40 times going into 1st or 5th, about once a day or slightly less. The reason it grinds going into 2nd or 3rd is my own fault I realize. The only time I've heard those grind is when I missed a shift
2001 3.8L - Cheap SR CAI, SF4/X4 w/ 91 Octane Bama Tuning, Pacesetter H-pipe and Borla Stingers, Auburn HP Limited-Slip Diff, FRPP 4.10 gears

Coming EVENTUALLY: BBK headers, Eibach Springs, FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft, Maximum Motorsports Caster Camber Plates

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang