Fan wont turn on - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-06-2016, 11:49 AM   #1

Region: Ohio
Fan wont turn on

Hi Everyone,
I'm trying to get my fan to stay on. My cars operating temperature is around 190... but on a very hot day can climb over 200. When it climbs above 200, I can put the AC on, the fan kicks in, the temp goes back down to 180-190. As soon as the AC is off, the fan kicks off. I never can get the fan to stay on unless the AC is on.

I did a little research and some say it's the CCRM (I think what it's called) relay. But some say if that was the problem, the fan wouldn't turn on at all... even with the AC.

Other people say the ECT sensor could be the problem. Others have replaced this and it fixed it. I'm getting no codes, but when I plug my scanner into the computer it can read the cars temperature and it's pretty accurate to my gauge. I'm leaning towards that it's the ECT sensor... but a couple questions:

Where is this on a 1995 V6?
If it was this, wouldn't it show an incorrect reading on my scanner or does my computer get it's reading from a different sensor?

Thanks!
RickSample is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2016, 01:01 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Maybe the car's operating temp. is a bit higher and is trying to keep it a bit hotter? My 01's operating temp is ~216, so maybe that's the case. Either way, it being a few degrees above operating temp won't do any damage. If it were 20 (or so) or more it would start to screw with some things.

As for where the relay is, I'm not sure. Is your scanner a tuner or just made to read engine codes?
2001 3.8L - Cheap SR CAI, SF4/X4 w/ 91 Octane Bama Tuning, Pacesetter H-pipe and Borla Stingers, Auburn HP Limited-Slip Diff, FRPP 4.10 gears

Coming EVENTUALLY: BBK headers, Eibach Springs, FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft, Maximum Motorsports Caster Camber Plates
JudenInduven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 03:57 PM   #3

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudenInduven View Post
Maybe the car's operating temp. is a bit higher and is trying to keep it a bit hotter? My 01's operating temp is ~216, so maybe that's the case. Either way, it being a few degrees above operating temp won't do any damage. If it were 20 (or so) or more it would start to screw with some things.

As for where the relay is, I'm not sure. Is your scanner a tuner or just made to read engine codes?
Thanks, I had an overheating issue... but I think that's fixed (hopefully and $1,000 later lol). Overheated in the parade last year... temp got up to around 250. I noticed my AC wasn't on when I saw my gauge that high... I turned it on and temp went down to 200 within seconds.

Got home and couldn't figure out for the life of my what was happening. Changed the radiator, thermostat, flushed the system, that brought my temp from around the 210 range down to around 190. Then I started to leak coolant around my timing chain gasket. Since I had the timing chain cover pulled off, I replaced the water pump too. The radiator, thermostat, water pump, timing chain gasket all came to a grand...

I didn't know the fan wasn't kicking on until just recently. While testing it last year I always kept the AC on... so the fan was always on. But I just noticed that without the AC on... the fan won't kick on. I don't let it get to hot before turning the AC to kick it on... but I've let it get up to around 220... don't want it to get any warmer than that. I would imagine the fan would kick on before that.

The scanner is just meant to read codes... but it has a driving mode on it where it'll tell what the cars temperature is.
RickSample is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2016, 04:10 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickSample View Post
I didn't know the fan wasn't kicking on until just recently. While testing it last year I always kept the AC on... so the fan was always on. But I just noticed that without the AC on... the fan won't kick on. I don't let it get to hot before turning the AC to kick it on... but I've let it get up to around 220... don't want it to get any warmer than that. I would imagine the fan would kick on before that.

The scanner is just meant to read codes... but it has a driving mode on it where it'll tell what the cars temperature is.
That's very interesting...it probably is that relay then, is that something that would be depicted in the owner's manual? They usually mention overheating in there, but I don't know what the SN95 manual is like
2001 3.8L - Cheap SR CAI, SF4/X4 w/ 91 Octane Bama Tuning, Pacesetter H-pipe and Borla Stingers, Auburn HP Limited-Slip Diff, FRPP 4.10 gears

Coming EVENTUALLY: BBK headers, Eibach Springs, FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft, Maximum Motorsports Caster Camber Plates
JudenInduven is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang