Sandbags and suspension - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-03-2016, 09:04 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Sandbags and suspension

So, I have 180lbs of sand in my trunk, typically. It's all on the right side of the trunk because of the open differential. I used a bag to get a friend out of a jam today, then bought another 180lbs a half hour ago.

Now there's 300lbs from the center to the right side. My question is: Does 300lbs of static weight over the rear right wheel cause unnecessary wear to the shock tower? Oh, it's putting more strain on the engine to some degree no matter how minute, right? But then I keep going to the perspective that it's like having two other people in the car...

I am likely going to put 120lbs into the garage as a backup and leave the remaining 180lbs in there for the rest of winter, as I've been doing thus far. With 300lbs in the trunk the car feels somewhat more sluggish (obviously), but I'm just happy to hear the Borlas roar after a few days of not driving
2001 3.8L - Cheap SR CAI, SF4/X4 w/ 91 Octane Bama Tuning, Pacesetter H-pipe and Borla Stingers, Auburn HP Limited-Slip Diff, FRPP 4.10 gears

Coming EVENTUALLY: BBK headers, Eibach Springs, FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft, Maximum Motorsports Caster Camber Plates
JudenInduven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2016, 02:00 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Personally I would distribute the weight evenly, you're more likely to wear out that shock and spring by focusing all the weight in that corner. Yes it might out a little extra strain on the engine, but it's no worse than riding around with some buddies. The engine should be more than capable of handling the extra weight.
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 02:20 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile high JDF View Post
Personally I would distribute the weight evenly, you're more likely to wear out that shock and spring by focusing all the weight in that corner. Yes it might out a little extra strain on the engine, but it's no worse than riding around with some buddies. The engine should be more than capable of handling the extra weight.
Okay, thank you. I figure I hopefully won't need to cram in as many sandbags once the limited-slip is in
2001 3.8L - Cheap SR CAI, SF4/X4 w/ 91 Octane Bama Tuning, Pacesetter H-pipe and Borla Stingers, Auburn HP Limited-Slip Diff, FRPP 4.10 gears

Coming EVENTUALLY: BBK headers, Eibach Springs, FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft, Maximum Motorsports Caster Camber Plates
JudenInduven is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang