Transmission install Help! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-05-2016, 08:41 AM   #1

Region: Florida
Transmission install Help!

Hello everyone. I really hope someone will be able to help me with my transmission problem. My wife's car is 2003 Mustang base model 3.8L with no mods. Alright here is what is going on, Her car was leaking oil from oil pan, valve covers, oil pump and she had an exhaust leak, so I decided to just pull motor and go through it and put it back in. So I did, but here is the issue, when I went to marry the transmission / Engine back together it slid in great even the torque converter studs went right into flex-plate. I tightened all the bell housing bolts then finished installing everything else, then once I tried starting the motor seemed to be in a bind, so I called Ford and the tech told me it sounded like I didn't seat the torque converter all the way. So I decided to just drop the transmission instead of pulling motor back out, anyways I checked and re-seated the torque converter and checked flex plate to make sure everything was all good and jacked transmission back into place. This time it slid right into place again easy as pie nearly perfect with only about a 1/4" of space, the converter went right into flex plate but as soon as I start to tighten the bolts on bell housing it seems to jam up, How I test this is I took spark plugs out so I can turn crank, but if I start tightening the bell housing bolts I can not even turn crank and so I installed starter to see if it will turn it and it does the same as it did the first time has a really hard time turning over which makes me think its in a bind some where, This is really kicking my butt, I did not change anything and really need some HELP on this. Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks for your help.
jimmy0373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2016, 10:38 AM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Did you spin the torque converter and apply any pressure while you do that? I've had this issue before on my 69 mustang. The converter slides off just a bit and isn't seated properly on the transmission shaft. There are a few steps of gears that it must sync up with before its all the way in. So it sounds like it's possibly one spin away from being completely seated.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:41 AM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Here's a video of what I'm talking about

http://youtu.be/g7klzEV0kng
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2016, 11:26 AM   #4
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
nice post Ox...thx 4 the help to newbie!
Old 02-05-2016, 01:22 PM   #5

Region: Florida
Thanks OX, I will pull back and see if I did miss putting in all the way. Good video, too
I will let you know if it was that, I will get out there now and try again.
jimmy0373 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang