Please Don't Say Tranny's Fried. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-06-2016, 11:14 PM   #1

Region: California
Question Please Don't Say Tranny's Fried.

I have a 2000 V6 auto. The car has about 173,000 miles on it. When I bought it used in 2012 a used transmission was put in car right before I got it. The other day I started my car and went to shift from Park to Drive and when it passed thru Reverse it jerked and made a clunking noise. I was like wtf ......that doesn't sound good. I noticed it only did this after warming up. I drove it again and it had been raining and I noticed that when in Drive it would sometimes act like it was in Netural and the RMP's would rise, but the car wouldn't go anywhere. Pulled fthe dip stick and the fluid didn't smell too fresh and was a quart low. I put fluid in and when I went to drive it. The gears wouldn't engage unless I turned the motor off and then restarted the car. Do you think the transmission is fried? Or maybe a flush or band adjust could fix it or something? Got any ideas? Please?
Tinaleib123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2016, 11:28 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
I think your gonna need to get it to a reputable transmission shop to have it checked out. Based on my experience and what you are describing you may be looking at having it rebuilt.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 02-07-2016, 03:42 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Oh man, unfortunately this isn't sounding so good. I have an '02 Dodge Ram 1500 automatic with only 67,000 miles. Have it for 13 years. I never abused it, changed tranny fluid in the past, and had some issues like you described. Ended up needing the transmission replaced recently, $3,000. I learned that this was a somewhat common problem in the late 90's into early 2000's of Dodge's. Got a Jasper transmission, should last me now for many years.
la pantera is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2016, 10:37 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

UH-OH, sounds like she's on the way out. That'a a whole bunch a miles.
oxfordwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 09:10 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Try a full flush and filter change too

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
kickerofdoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 08:05 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Low fluid plus age means that the internal hydraulics tend to overheat. I wouldn't be surprized if it simply stops running altogether in a few days. At least save yourself a tow and get it to a shop while it can still move.
JOberlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 11:09 PM   #7

Cant find the edit button

I did a filter change and put some Lucas in the transmission. It now goes into gear but you can fell slippage and there is no overdrive. Do you think a solenoid could be bad or plugged?
Tinaleib123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 02:16 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
If it can't be FRIED, how about BROILED, GRILLED, Crock Potted, Steamed, Microwaved, Grilled or like Sushi, eaten raw.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang