WTF is wrong with my taillight? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-10-2016, 10:47 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
WTF is wrong with my taillight?

I got my smoked Raxiom taillights today (yay) and installed them just fine, but getting some of those clips out was a huge PITA, as was moving all the sandbags out.

Anyways, now my left turn signal is f****d. (All that follows will regard the left taillight.) The signal blinks really fast and only blinks the middle bulb, not the leftmost two. The left amber turn signal up front blinks the same speed. Hazards blink normal speed, but again, only the middle bulb. With the headlights on, it lights up all three bulbs normally. I really need help, since I can't drive the car like this (well, more like I don't want to). But I need to know how to fix it, because my back can't take another round of moving sandbags in and out. I'll post some short videos in a second
2001 3.8L - Cheap SR CAI, SF4/X4 w/ 91 Octane Bama Tuning, Pacesetter H-pipe and Borla Stingers, Auburn HP Limited-Slip Diff, FRPP 4.10 gears

Coming EVENTUALLY: BBK headers, Eibach Springs, FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft, Maximum Motorsports Caster Camber Plates
JudenInduven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2016, 10:50 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

This is the turn signal on with the headlights on as well.
Attached Files
2001 3.8L - Cheap SR CAI, SF4/X4 w/ 91 Octane Bama Tuning, Pacesetter H-pipe and Borla Stingers, Auburn HP Limited-Slip Diff, FRPP 4.10 gears

Coming EVENTUALLY: BBK headers, Eibach Springs, FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft, Maximum Motorsports Caster Camber Plates
Old 02-10-2016, 11:21 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Pulled the taillight out, took the far left bulb out of its housing and after separating its wires from the middle bulb, it seems to work fine. What went wrong?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2016, 11:28 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Now it's stuck blinking really fast again with the far left bulb not working. It occasionally sparks a bit, but I can't get it to work

With the middle bulb removed, the front turn signal still flashes really fast

Old 02-10-2016, 11:51 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I think the ****ing idiot that owned my car before me (he removed the right taillight, ****ed up the bumper, spliced in some wires to repair something, I guess, god knows why he didn't leave the factory everything for the right taillight as is) my turn signals already had some bugs, like if they were on for too long sometimes, they'd freeze up and stop blinking, even after repeated cycles of turning them on and off. I'm guessing this is just the straw that broke the camel's back. I have no idea why or how. But, ****, I'm out of ideas and this is extremely frustrating

Old 02-11-2016, 12:19 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Had a eureka moment. The dual filament in the far left bulb was broken. Must've just slightly aligned sometimes and worked fine. That was causing the middle bulb to blink fast, and since the filament was broken, the far left bulb did not blink with the signal, but worked with the headlights being on. One new taillight later (thank God I still had one from changing my brother's taillight), and everything works perfectly. Still don't know about the turn signals occasionally freezing though, lol I'm just extremely relieved I don't have to go through this process of moving everything again.

BTW, thanks for nothing guys. Just kidding

Old 02-11-2016, 12:51 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I had my key at START for a while, without starting the car, for the hour that I was trying to fix my taillights, and upon start up, all my gauges went as far right as they could, it said I was revving 7K, doing 120mph, etc. Is this just from the car being at accessories for an hour without the engine being on. The voltmeter said the battery was just fine.

(And sorry to keep posting on this thread, I didn't want to start a new one, since it's related)

Old 02-11-2016, 07:33 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

When the ecm loses enough power (i.e. leaving your key on) it goes through and does a gauge check. I'm assuming they swept right and then returned to the left position?
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 11:09 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile high JDF View Post
When the ecm loses enough power (i.e. leaving your key on) it goes through and does a gauge check. I'm assuming they swept right and then returned to the left position?
Yessir, just for a brief moment, then it returned to where it should've been. But after a bit of driving, it should be fine, right? Unless my alternator is on its way out (which I highly doubt)

Old 02-11-2016, 04:05 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Try replacing the flasher unit to stop the intermittent freezing. Flasher units get old and worn out. Hope that helps that problem.
yogibooboorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 06:45 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogibooboorange View Post
Try replacing the flasher unit to stop the intermittent freezing. Flasher units get old and worn out. Hope that helps that problem.
Hmm, I'll look into it, thanks

Old 02-11-2016, 06:49 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudenInduven View Post
Yessir, just for a brief moment, then it returned to where it should've been. But after a bit of driving, it should be fine, right? Unless my alternator is on its way out (which I highly doubt)
Yeah it'll be fine after some driving.
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 09:00 PM   #13
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Canada
Send a message via Skype™ to Gravydog316
WTF is wrong with my taillight?

yeah, if it blinks really fast, it's usually a bad bulb.
You can notice it on other vehicles, when they are signalling
Gravydog316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 07:25 AM   #14
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogibooboorange View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudenInduven View Post
Hmm, I'll look into it, thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravydog View Post
yeah, if it blinks really fast, it's usually a bad bulb.
You can notice it on other vehicles, when they are signalling
OP - I'd start with the flasher and then the bulb. If it persists let us know and we'll get the taillights replaced for you no questions asked.

Alex
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 10:58 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMAlexLazarus View Post
OP - I'd start with the flasher and then the bulb. If it persists let us know and we'll get the taillights replaced for you no questions asked.

Alex
That's very kind, Alex, but the new taillights are perfectly fine lol the flasher has been a bit wonky since I got the car. I must've just damaged the bulb changing them from the old housing to the new one

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang