Got my car dyno'd for the very first time - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-11-2016, 07:47 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Got my car dyno'd for the very first time

After weeks of trying to set something up with Lundstedt, I finally managed to schedule a pull on the dyno last Friday. My HP, as expected, is about stock-looking, maybe a bit less. The torque on the other hand...

I also ponied up an extra ten bucks to have A/F ratios included just for kicks and, if I'm reading it right, my car was doing around 120 mph? Isn't that close to the dreaded point where the driveshaft explodes? The chart that reads TQ lower is the baseline. What do you guys think of the charts? Any idea why at around 9.5 seconds the HP/TQ dip a bit?

Also, I did not realize how freaking loud my car is. I thought the engine was going to explode
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GRAPH FOR Ben Woolf on 2016-02-11 @ 16-35-34.png
Views:	171
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	196964   Click image for larger version

Name:	GRAPH FOR Ben Woolf on 2016-02-11 @ 16-53-04 - AFR.png
Views:	158
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	196965  

Click image for larger version

Name:	GRAPH FOR Ben Woolf on 2016-02-11 @ 16-53-04.png
Views:	134
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	196966  
2001 3.8L - Cheap SR CAI, SF4/X4 w/ 91 Octane Bama Tuning, Pacesetter H-pipe and Borla Stingers, Auburn HP Limited-Slip Diff, FRPP 4.10 gears

Coming EVENTUALLY: BBK headers, Eibach Springs, FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft, Maximum Motorsports Caster Camber Plates
JudenInduven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2016, 03:36 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I don't know crap about the v6s, what do they normally dyno at? I've never heard of these guys before, where are they located?

The driveshaft "explosions" were really only a problem on the 11+ V6s and even then only and select few actually had one go out.
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 08:02 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile high JDF View Post
I don't know crap about the v6s, what do they normally dyno at? I've never heard of these guys before, where are they located?

The driveshaft "explosions" were really only a problem on the 11+ V6s and even then only and select few actually had one go out.
Up here in Fort Collins. Family-owned and operated. And I don't know where they dyno normally at either lol. So my driveshaft is likely good for what speed, do you know?

Quote:
I don't know crap about the v6s
Oh, you might not
2001 3.8L - Cheap SR CAI, SF4/X4 w/ 91 Octane Bama Tuning, Pacesetter H-pipe and Borla Stingers, Auburn HP Limited-Slip Diff, FRPP 4.10 gears

Coming EVENTUALLY: BBK headers, Eibach Springs, FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft, Maximum Motorsports Caster Camber Plates
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2016, 08:10 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudenInduven View Post
Up here in Fort Collins. Family-owned and operated. And I don't know where they dyno normally at either lol. So my driveshaft is likely good for what speed, do you know?

Oh, you might not
Gotcha, I'm still surprised I haven't heard of them. They must not have too many people running their tunes out at Bandimere.

Odds are that your driveshaft will be fine to whatever speed your engine let can get you to.
Old 02-12-2016, 12:01 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Gotcha, I'm still surprised I haven't heard of them. They must not have too many people running their tunes out at Bandimere.

Odds are that your driveshaft will be fine to whatever speed your engine let can get you to.
Yeah, I'm not sure how many people have them tune or anything of the sort. It seemed pretty quiet when I was there, so I'm not too sure how good the business they get is. By the state of the place, I'd say pretty well, but can't say for sure.

And good, that driveshaft thing had me a bit worried.

I'm just curious as to why my TQ seems sky-high, but the HP is bogging a tiny bit. The dyno operator figured a 17% drivetrain loss (and the variety grows; I've heard 33%, 30%, 25%, 17%, 17.75%, 15% and 12% losses now), so that puts the 223 ft-lbs of torque at 268 ft-lbs, roughly. Meanwhile, the HP only equates to 186. Someone correct me if I'm reaching these figures incorrectly, or making incorrect assumptions.

Maybe it was something with the dyno? Because at first there was too much interference trying to read the ECU due to the placement of the thing reading it and that was causing weird numbers, but then he fixed it

Old 02-12-2016, 12:07 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Air Fuel mixture is fine.
2013 RedMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 12:17 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013 RedMustang View Post
Air Fuel mixture is fine.
Yeah, to my understanding, it runs a bit rich in the higher RPMs, which is nice

Old 02-12-2016, 02:55 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
On a Stock 3.7 V/6 the lost to the rear wheels is 15 to 16%.
2013 RedMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 03:33 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013 RedMustang View Post
On a Stock 3.7 V/6 the lost to the rear wheels is 15 to 16%.
Okay, so ~262 ft-lbs of torque and ~186 Hp at the engine sound about right to you, then?

Old 02-12-2016, 03:46 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah, I'm not sure how many people have them tune or anything of the sort. It seemed pretty quiet when I was there, so I'm not too sure how good the business they get is. By the state of the place, I'd say pretty well, but can't say for sure.

And good, that driveshaft thing had me a bit worried.

I'm just curious as to why my TQ seems sky-high, but the HP is bogging a tiny bit. The dyno operator figured a 17% drivetrain loss (and the variety grows; I've heard 33%, 30%, 25%, 17%, 17.75%, 15% and 12% losses now), so that puts the 223 ft-lbs of torque at 268 ft-lbs, roughly. Meanwhile, the HP only equates to 186. Someone correct me if I'm reaching these figures incorrectly, or making incorrect assumptions.

Maybe it was something with the dyno? Because at first there was too much interference trying to read the ECU due to the placement of the thing reading it and that was causing weird numbers, but then he fixed it
My guess is he messed up the way he set up the dyno. Your car is mostly stock other than exhaust correct? Factory numbers are 190hp and 220ft-lb at the crank

Quote:
Okay, so ~262 ft-lbs of torque at the engine sound about right to you, then?
Not at all.
Old 02-13-2016, 07:46 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
My guess is he messed up the way he set up the dyno. Your car is mostly stock other than exhaust correct? Factory numbers are 190hp and 220ft-lb at the crank

Not at all.
Hmmm...it is the tune, exhaust, and intake. Very simple stuff. It was reading a bit funny at the very beginning. I'll have to go take a second look or something. 262 ft-lbs sounded like a bit much for 186 HP

Old 02-13-2016, 09:21 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
No Way that car has 262 ft/lb of torque
WAR HORSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 04:55 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAR HORSE View Post
No Way that car has 262 ft/lb of torque
I guess it's a matter of "where do I go now" with this. Like how do I go back there and say "well, something seemed wrong with this". I probably don't. Unfortunately, they're the only place in town with a dyno

Old 02-13-2016, 05:02 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I guess it's a matter of "where do I go now" with this. Like how do I go back there and say "well, something seemed wrong with this". I probably don't. Unfortunately, they're the only place in town with a dyno
I wouldn't really sweat it. It's fun to get the car dyno'd, but at the end of the day it's just a number
Old 02-13-2016, 05:35 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
if you think your car runs great & you're happy with it then it really doesnt matter what the real # is in my opinion, its not like you got a race car or trying to have some sort of bragging rights but I would try to find another Dyno where the numbers make a bit more sense .
WAR HORSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 06:34 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I wouldn't really sweat it. It's fun to get the car dyno'd, but at the end of the day it's just a number
I suppose so. And I'm used to the car running with 240lbs of sand, so I can't wait to take them out and see how much faster it feels haha

Old 02-14-2016, 10:07 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
I just don't think it's possible for a 3.8 with a tune, exhaust and intake is going to net a ~50-70 ft lbs gain. They botched the run and numbers some how. Stock is in the ball park of 180 ft lbs to the tires...

Cammed, and long tubes sure, but not with the most basic bolt ons.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 02-14-2016, 06:45 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Pony View Post
I just don't think it's possible for a 3.8 with a tune, exhaust and intake is going to net a ~50-70 ft lbs gain. They botched the run and numbers some how. Stock is in the ball park of 180 ft lbs to the tires...

Cammed, and long tubes sure, but not with the most basic bolt ons.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Mustang Evolution mobile app
What's your best guess for the Hp and TQ, Project? Mine is 160 WHP and 190 WTQ

Old 02-15-2016, 09:03 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Yah I have to agree that there's no way you're making more than 200 ft lbs of torque on a dynojet without injecting loaded variables.

Again, I'm not a believer in a flat percentage of drivetrain loss but for the sake of argument let's figure for an average of 15%. With your bolt ons/tune I'd say the you're roughly at 170 rwhp and 195rwtq.

If you're an auto bump that "average" up to 20%.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 12:49 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
Yah I have to agree that there's no way you're making more than 200 ft lbs of torque on a dynojet without injecting loaded variables.

Again, I'm not a believer in a flat percentage of drivetrain loss but for the sake of argument let's figure for an average of 15%. With your bolt ons/tune I'd say the you're roughly at 170 rwhp and 195rwtq.

If you're an auto bump that "average" up to 20%.
No, sir, I got a manual transmission here. And that sounds pretty fair and what I was expecting when I showed up to the dyno. For all intents and purposes, that's what I'm going to assume I have

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang