Engine parts for a 99-04 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-14-2016, 07:22 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Engine parts for a 99-04

Does anybody know where I can find engine parts for the V6? They seem pretty neglected when it comes to performance, all I can find is stuff for the 4.6L. I'm looking for new cylinder heads, camshafts...etc(?), oh, and a new intake plenum. I don't know much about engine mods, to be quite honest, but I want more power out of the sixxer. AmericanMuscle has the basics, but not some of the more serious mods.

Also, any suggestions, that don't include selling my car and buying a GT (I'm looking at you, Scotty ), are welcomed
2001 3.8L - Cheap SR CAI, SF4/X4 w/ 91 Octane Bama Tuning, Pacesetter H-pipe and Borla Stingers, Auburn HP Limited-Slip Diff, FRPP 4.10 gears

Coming EVENTUALLY: BBK headers, Eibach Springs, FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft, Maximum Motorsports Caster Camber Plates
JudenInduven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2016, 10:18 AM   #2
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudenInduven View Post
Does anybody know where I can find engine parts for the V6? They seem pretty neglected when it comes to performance, all I can find is stuff for the 4.6L. I'm looking for new cylinder heads, camshafts...etc(?), oh, and a new intake plenum. I don't know much about engine mods, to be quite honest, but I want more power out of the sixxer. AmericanMuscle has the basics, but not some of the more serious mods.

Also, any suggestions, that don't include selling my car and buying a GT (I'm looking at you, Scotty ), are welcomed
Juden - Sounds like you're looking to dump some cash into your V6 and as much as I wish that we had these parts here we sadly don't. Most if not all times I'll suggest taking a look into SuperSixMotorSports if you're dead set on getting heads, cams, etc.

Give em' a look and let me know if there's anything else I can help out with and maybe take a look at Prochargers Setup for the 99-04 V6

Alex
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 10:42 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMAlexLazarus View Post
Juden - Sounds like you're looking to dump some cash into your V6 and as much as I wish that we had these parts here we sadly don't. Most if not all times I'll suggest taking a look into SuperSixMotorSports if you're dead set on getting heads, cams, etc.

Give em' a look and let me know if there's anything else I can help out with and maybe take a look at Prochargers Setup for the 99-04 V6

Alex
They do indeed have what I'm looking for, thanks Alex! And I'll let you know if I'm ever in the market for a procharger
2001 3.8L - Cheap SR CAI, SF4/X4 w/ 91 Octane Bama Tuning, Pacesetter H-pipe and Borla Stingers, Auburn HP Limited-Slip Diff, FRPP 4.10 gears

Coming EVENTUALLY: BBK headers, Eibach Springs, FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft, Maximum Motorsports Caster Camber Plates
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2016, 02:07 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Would all these parts fit together if I had them installed all at once?
Ford Racing 8.8 in 31 Spline Traction - LOK Mustang Limited Slip Differential w/ Carbon Discs M-4204-F318C (86-14 V8; 11-14 V6) - Free Shipping
Ford Racing 28 Spline Aluminum Mustang Driveshaft M-4602-G (79-95 5.0L; 94-04 V6) - Free Shipping
Ford Racing 4.10 Mustang Gears M-4209-G410A (99-04 GT) - Free Shipping

Also, would that driveshaft be able to withstand the power of a procharger running ~8 PSI?

Old 02-15-2016, 03:14 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
The only thing on that list that will fit your car is the driveshaft. Not worth your money.

Those rear parts are for a 8.8 housing which comes in the GT models. Your car has a 7.5 housing. It's a worthwhile investment to upgrade to a 8.8 housing and will run $500-$800 depending on what you can find. It's stronger and more available parts.

The locker you posted above when installed on a 8.8 housing will require 31 spline axles as well (another $250 or so). It will also require professional installation ($600-$1000) because if it is installed incorrectly you will ruin many parts.

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 08:05 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Forget the aluminum driveshaft. It will do almost zero for you at near stock levels. And frankly, even with a procharger it won't be a huge benefit. The 7.5" is fine for power levels below 250-275rwhp depending how that power's being made. After that, look into upgrading to an 8.8".

Supersix motorsports is about the only place out there these days specializing in aftermarket parts for the 3.8's. They offer many options to build up a 3.8 or step up to a 4.2. H/C/I, forged bottom end, you name it, they have it for the v6's.

I will pay devil's advocate (aka on M.E. as scottydoesntknow) I kid scotty , and say that if you simply want to make a lot of power than look into a better platform. You will easily spend several thousands (not including labor) in the engine alone, plus have to upgrade brakes, suspension, fuel and drivetrain just to handle ~250rwhp.

Also, not sure what power level you have in mind but I doubt you'll see more than 250rwhp N/A. Have to go FI (turbo or centrifugal) to eclipse the 300 mark. 250 would be a nice step up from power levels, but it's not cheap.

Now if you want cheap power run a 75 shot and pray that she holds together. Or spend ~$3000 and throw together a turbo kit with fuel/spark upgrades. Again, the stock guts will be on borrowed time.

I speak from experience. I had an entire build list together for a forged 3.8 setup but realized that I would barely be hanging with bolt on PI GT's. So I kept my v6 and love it for what it is, but knew my money would be better spent on a different car.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 12:53 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
Forget the aluminum driveshaft. It will do almost zero for you at near stock levels. And frankly, even with a procharger it won't be a huge benefit. The 7.5" is fine for power levels below 250-275rwhp depending how that power's being made. After that, look into upgrading to an 8.8".

Supersix motorsports is about the only place out there these days specializing in aftermarket parts for the 3.8's. They offer many options to build up a 3.8 or step up to a 4.2. H/C/I, forged bottom end, you name it, they have it for the v6's.

I will pay devil's advocate (aka on M.E. as scottydoesntknow) I kid scotty , and say that if you simply want to make a lot of power than look into a better platform. You will easily spend several thousands (not including labor) in the engine alone, plus have to upgrade brakes, suspension, fuel and drivetrain just to handle ~250rwhp.

Also, not sure what power level you have in mind but I doubt you'll see more than 250rwhp N/A. Have to go FI (turbo or centrifugal) to eclipse the 300 mark. 250 would be a nice step up from power levels, but it's not cheap.

Now if you want cheap power run a 75 shot and pray that she holds together. Or spend ~$3000 and throw together a turbo kit with fuel/spark upgrades. Again, the stock guts will be on borrowed time.

I speak from experience. I had an entire build list together for a forged 3.8 setup but realized that I would barely be hanging with bolt on PI GT's. So I kept my v6 and love it for what it is, but knew my money would be better spent on a different car.
That's definitely the best someone's made the "get a GT" argument. I think I'll just toss some gears into my car and call it. Some 4.10's will probably make it what I want it to be. I've never driven anything with more power than my little sixxer, so anything above it feels really fast and seems like a big improvement, and that's good enough for me

Old 02-16-2016, 07:47 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

This is probably the most well thought out buy a GT argument that I've seen in a while. I agree 100% with this, the money you will spend to build the 3.8 how you want will easily pass how much it would take to buy a GT. In my opinion, make it look nice and save your money for something faster. As much as I hate to say it, that's what my old GT was
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 12:00 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
I had an 02 v6 auto. Decent amount of bolt-ons. Things that made me smile were tune, exhaust and suspension. The rest weren't really worth it.

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 04:16 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
are you willing to do a total rebuild for power?thats the question you have to ask youself and can you do most of the work youself? thats the only way your gonna get power out of these boat anchors we know as a 3.8 lol.
newedge01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 06:33 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by newedge01 View Post
are you willing to do a total rebuild for power?thats the question you have to ask youself and can you do most of the work youself? thats the only way your gonna get power out of these boat anchors we know as a 3.8 lol.
Felt a bit unnecessary, but I'm just swapping gears out and a LSD and that'll be all for a while

Old 02-17-2016, 11:46 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Felt a bit unnecessary, but I'm just swapping gears out and a LSD and that'll be all for a while
That with some upgraded suspension components will really liven the car up. Maybe not in terms of shear horsepower but in driving dynamics (suspension) and how the power you do have is distributed (gears).

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

Old 02-17-2016, 01:16 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That with some upgraded suspension components will really liven the car up. Maybe not in terms of shear horsepower but in driving dynamics (suspension) and how the power you do have is distributed (gears).
What do you suggest for the suspension? And I won't need control arms with the 4.10's will I?

Old 02-17-2016, 03:28 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Springs, CC Plates if you drop lower than 1.5", rear sway bar and subframe connectors would be a good start. Lower control arms would be a nice upgrade but not necessary, same with the tower braces though I think the Steeda package may include some which is fine.

To save some money you could pull a factory rear sway bar off a v8 car, or even an older Thunderbird at a junk yard.

Old 02-17-2016, 11:59 PM   #15

I'm a 6er as well... like the 6er just needs more power... looking to do most the same... anyone have any response to my idle issue? I started a thread about it and no reply so yet
Charlie8Waffles is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang