2011 3.7L Swap?? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-01-2016, 08:35 PM   #1

Region: Indiana
Smile 2011 3.7L Swap??

Hello everyone !! I'm new to the forum.
So I was looking around at engines on ebay today when I came across a 2011 V6 3.7l engine and 6 speed transmission with only 17k miles on both for $1,500. *This is about the same price as a 4.6l engine with much more mileage.*

The 3.7L V6 has 305 hp and 285 TQ stock
My 2003 V6 3.8L has 193 Hp and 220 Tq stock.

So why do I want the 3.7L? Because it has more hp and torque, also much more lighter weight engine than a stock GT of my year, better gas mileage, the only new edge around with a 3.7L, and almost 1000% less miles than my current engine, 30 mpg highway (I do lots of driving on highways).

My question is could I get it to fit/work? what would I need? afterall, people can get coyote engines to fit/work and they came out around the same time.
Thank You!!!
Fillywardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2016, 02:29 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
You can get anything to work if you have two things...time and money.

People are shoving coyote engines in everything but it's not a simple engine swap. It will be the same for the 3.7. I believe the 3.7 is a taller engine due to the oil pan, so there would be clearance considerations. Also it's EPAS (electric power assisted steering).

If it were me and I was going thru the effort of pulling the v6, I'd be putting a v8 back in, nothing less.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 03:18 PM   #3
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
You're going to need the motor, a control pack/harness, fuel modifications, other electronics etc...

Even swapping to a 4.6L you really should have a whole donor car. You will likely get a better result selling what you have and taking that $$$ and the $$$ you would spend on this swap to pick up a real nice 99-04 GT for $5-$6k.

And that's also factoring in what your time is worth because its not something that'll get done in just a weekend.

AND... if you are dead set on doing this, make sure you have some other form of transportation if the car is your daily and be prepared to run into a lot of shenaningans.

To be blunt... if you've never swapped a motor before you are well out of your league. And even if you have... the support and tech info on the interwebs for this swap is very sparse mainly because if someone is going to swap its the Coyote.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2016, 07:16 PM   #4

Thank you for the reply! Means a lot because as you said, no support or tech info on the internet anywhere... Being 17 I only make a little over $2k a year. So I would only have the money for the engine/transmission and have about $1k left for the rest of the swap (assuming I sold my engine/trans). I'm not even sure if the 6 speed automatic trans would line up correctly, that's one of my big concerns also.
Old 03-02-2016, 07:20 PM   #5

Thanks for the reply!
Old 03-02-2016, 09:13 PM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

17 and making $2k a year? Keep the car you have, keep up on the maintenance so it lasts and drive it while you go to school/learn a trade to get a good job and get a nice car down the road. Do not be car poor at your age. You will thank yourself later if you aren't stupid with money now and I speak from experience.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
17 and making $2k a year? Keep the car you have, keep up on the maintenance so it lasts and drive it while you go to school/learn a trade to get a good job and get a nice car down the road. Do not be car poor at your age. You will thank yourself later if you aren't stupid with money now and I speak from experience.
Ahh fine, that was the originial plan, sounds good to me. Guess ill just keep modding my 3.8l lol.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:33 AM   #8
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillywardo View Post
Ahh fine, that was the originial plan, sounds good to me. Guess ill just keep modding my 3.8l lol.
Nothing wrong with what you have. You are 17. So as long as it gets you to school/work/store, then you are good. You can always hang on to this and keep saving, then in a few years - get yourself an awesome 5.0 with this car as a trade plus a nice down payment. Patience is a difficult thing but pays off.
ZombieSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 09:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieSlayer View Post
Nothing wrong with what you have. You are 17. So as long as it gets you to school/work/store, then you are good. You can always hang on to this and keep saving, then in a few years - get yourself an awesome 5.0 with this car as a trade plus a nice down payment. Patience is a difficult thing but pays off.
Thanks for the advice man, thats actually something ive considered doing for quite awhile! 13-14 is my favorite Stang ever, and 5.0 is a badass engine all around. Plus, Price is going down to the lower twenties already
Old 03-03-2016, 09:14 AM   #10
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Thanks for the advice man, thats actually something ive considered doing for quite awhile! 13-14 is my favorite Stang ever, and 5.0 is a badass engine all around. Plus, Price is going down to the lower twenties already
Yessir! So say you save up and try for one in 3 years, I am sure they will be at the very bottom of the 20,000s or even higher 18,000-19,000. So the longer you wait, the more you will actually save! I wouldn't count on them dropping much more then that though in that time frame. I am sure they will hang around the 18,000-22,000 ball park for a while.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:03 AM   #11

I graduate HS next year and plan to go to college for 2 years to become a dental hygenist, so 3 years might be spot on And yeah I couldnt see TOO much depreciation happening seeing as the return of the 5.0 is still fairly new.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:07 AM   #12
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
I graduate HS next year and plan to go to college for 2 years to become a dental hygenist, so 3 years might be spot on ������ And yeah I couldnt see TOO much depreciation happening seeing as the return of the 5.0 is still fairly new.
I would also see if a parent could cosign with you when the time comes. That might help with your interest rate in case they try to hit you with a 15% rate.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:53 AM   #13

Yeah, thats a good idea because they always like to show low rates online, then you go there in person and things are much different
Old 03-03-2016, 11:01 AM   #14
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Yeah, thats a good idea because they always like to show low rates online, then you go there in person and things are much different
Yup. In the fine print it's usually - 750+ Credit Score plus a hefty down payment.

Also, they love taking new buyers for a ride. Trick you into thinking 15% interest is low.
Old 03-03-2016, 01:34 PM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Ouch 15 percent lol

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 06:30 PM   #16
Staff
Regular
Staff

I wouldn't mod your 3.8L at all. Regular oil changes, a tune up if it needs it and do the trans fluid and diff fluid too if it has not been done. Then just keep up on the maintenance, keep it washed regularly and make it last you as long as it can.

Because really nothing you do to the 3.8L for what your budget is going to do anything.

What you DO have going for you is a plan in a field they really can't outsource. Get your school, get your training, DO NOT TAKE OUT ANY STUDENT LOANS and get a steady job for 6-12 months and then go start getting yourself nicer stuff.

Yes... life advice from some rando on a car forum. Take it for what it is worth but been there and done that. Seen far too many ppl get ****ed by student loans, useless degrees and financing $$$ things on high interest rate credit when they were young.

Old 03-03-2016, 08:08 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Only mods you should do to a newedge v6 is a mach 1 grill, chin spoiler, h&r supersports, and rims. If you want it louder throw a flowmaster muffler on it and dont do anything else. Coming from a highly modded v6 owner..... no 3.8 is worth more than those mods
superdrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 07:14 AM   #18

Yeahhh too late LOL already have sr performace intake, performance altenator (was thinking about doing audio system at the time), dual flowmaster exhaust, smoked headlights, bullit rims, shorty anteena, aftermarket hood, s197 seats soon , and the list goes on. Its all 100% worth it to me, wouldnt get a refund if I could lol
Old 03-04-2016, 07:56 AM   #19

Plus im thinking about getting one of those cervini speedster covers, tune, lowering springs, saleen spoiler, brake pads and rotors etc. matinance.
Old 03-04-2016, 08:08 AM   #20

I wash/wax/detail my car constantly, and always check my oil, power steering fluid, and transmission fluid. I assume by the way you talk you have a V8 :p. Sure the mods for a 6 wont do the same numbers as they would do with a V8; but thats just by comparison. I plan to keep my car for a very long time, it's fairly efficent and its a Mustang at the same time. There is nothing more I love doing than modding my car, be it cosmetic/performance. I could have gotten a GT coupe with cloth if I wanted, but I opted for the V6 with leather/droptop for insurance/gas purposes.
Yeah I agree, I think it's a good field to get in to. Thank you for your advice by the way!!!
Old 03-04-2016, 08:09 AM   #21
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Zombie nailed it.....you'll do better in life with some delayed gratification.
Old 03-04-2016, 08:09 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
Ouch 15 percent lol

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Sad part is, people actually do it
Old 03-04-2016, 08:10 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
Zombie nailed it.....you'll do better in life with some delayed gratification.
I agree 100%
Old 03-04-2016, 09:05 AM   #24
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
forgot to mention: it sounds like you really don't need much advice and you just want b/up on your choice. Going to school/maintaining your car/not being stupid with $ way smarter than I was at that age.

Welcome to Mevo btw. did you post pics in the intro section?

Mud
Old 03-04-2016, 10:31 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
forgot to mention: it sounds like you really don't need much advice and you just want b/up on your choice. Going to school/maintaining your car/not being stupid with $ way smarter than I was at that age.

Welcome to Mevo btw. did you post pics in the intro section?

Mud
Thank you! Yeah thats why I dont see why people tell me not to mod my car because its a v6. Im a teenager, im going to spend my money. Better to be in somewhat of an investment than buying lots of food or other junk normal kids my age spend hundreds on. I beleive I only posted pics to my profile so far. Thanks again!
Old 03-04-2016, 12:26 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thank you! Yeah thats why I dont see why people tell me not to mod my car because its a v6. Im a teenager, im going to spend my money. Better to be in somewhat of an investment than buying lots of food or other junk normal kids my age spend hundreds on. I beleive I only posted pics to my profile so far. Thanks again!
I would be hard pressed to say that modding a car is an investment decision but you're young and there's nothing wrong with spending some of the money you earned. Better on something you're passionate about than on b.s.

I did the same thing with my 03 v6 when I was in high school. It was no v8 but was still fun to get outside and wash/clean it, do some light mods (CAI, exhaust etc.), make it look good and have some fun in it. I've been fortunate enough to be able to keep it all this time (I'm 26 now) and have another mustang.

Also do not buy into the whole gas mileage crap with the 99-04 cars. The 2V v8's get maybe a couple mpgs worse than the v6's. Imo if someone is that concerned with gas mileage you're better off buying a commuter car.

Insurance, however is another story...

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

Old 03-04-2016, 01:18 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
I would be hard pressed to say that modding a car is an investment decision but you're young and there's nothing wrong with spending some of the money you earned. Better on something you're passionate about than on b.s.

I did the same thing with my 03 v6 when I was in high school. It was no v8 but was still fun to get outside and wash/clean it, do some light mods (CAI, exhaust etc.), make it look good and have some fun in it. I've been fortunate enough to be able to keep it all this time (I'm 26 now) and have another mustang.

Also do not buy into the whole gas mileage crap with the 99-04 cars. The 2V v8's get maybe a couple mpgs worse than the v6's. Imo if someone is that concerned with gas mileage you're better off buying a commuter car.

Insurance, however is another story...
Thanks for the story, thats really cool to hear you loved your v6 as much as I feel about mine (yours was pretty new at the time, just thought about that) Ik the gas mileage isnt too terribly far apart between the gt and v6 but it still is. The major things were insurance and I wanted a drop top. Budget was $2500. I saw plenty of gt coupes with a couple minor problems for that price, but none of them were the convertible like I wanted.
That's badass that you have an 04 mach btw, love the sound of 4v's and the shaker hood is awesome.
Old 03-04-2016, 03:10 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks for the story, thats really cool to hear you loved your v6 as much as I feel about mine (yours was pretty new at the time, just thought about that) Ik the gas mileage isnt too terribly far apart between the gt and v6 but it still is. The major things were insurance and I wanted a drop top. Budget was $2500. I saw plenty of gt coupes with a couple minor problems for that price, but none of them were the convertible like I wanted.
That's badass that you have an 04 mach btw, love the sound of 4v's and the shaker hood is awesome.
Yah she's my baby, bought with 17k miles in 05. Not going anywhere any time soon. Have ~75k miles on her now. Really wanted the Mach 1 back when I was in high school but couldn't afford it so I ended up with the v6. So in June of '14 I decided it was time for another mustang and picked up my high school dream car.

I think you got a decent car for the money. Yes you could've have gotten a GT for that money but it would've been beat to sh*t and given you more problems than you'd want.

You have a solid plan for your future. Go to school, become a dental hygienist (really good field btw) and you'll be able to get what you want. Just takes some patience and hard work.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang