Cannot Pinpoint Weird Noise! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-20-2016, 04:58 PM   #1
Registered Member
Region: Georgia
Cannot Pinpoint Weird Noise!

Hey there everyone,

I am having a strange clicking sound coming from under the hood of my 2000 V6. It is a 5 speed and I initially thought it was the clutch, but I think I can cross that out. However, when I open the hood I can hear it as if it is coming from the serpentine belt, but I cannot tell at all. Can anyone offer any ideas. I am attaching a video so you can see and hear.

Here is a link I uploaded to YouTube:
Attached Files

devanslive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 05:14 PM   #2
Region: South Carolina
I'm honestly gonna go on a limb for the worst, sadly. Maybe connecting rods or lifters... not good. But without further inspection and only going off a video, hard to say.

---------- Post added at 07:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:13 PM ----------

What's the mileage?

mustangphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 06:07 PM   #3
Registered Member
Region: California
Video sounds like a Model T. Not the serpentine belt. Just to be sure, take a little soap and put that on the belt. If it changes or goes away you'll know for sure. Sounds like noisy tappets. Gonna have to dig deeper. Hope you find it's something simple
oxfordwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:32 PM   #4
Region: Pennsylvania
Suggestion: Remove the serpentine belt. Run the car at idle briefly. Like 30 seconds or less. No noise will tell you that it is a belt driven component making your noise.
HOSER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 05:54 AM   #5
Registered Member
Region: Georgia
Is this the new diesel Mustang?

All jokes aside:

Lifters or lash adjusters. Either way, it sounds like a head / valve train issue.

The possibilities are endless. You could have a bad oil pump, or clogged oil galleys. The sump / oil pick up could be bad or clogged. Regardless, my ears are saying lifter noise.

I will admit that I listened to The clip on my phone. Take a good look at the exhaust manifolds and make sure there are no exhaust leaks. There is a small chance the problem can be that simple.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang