Rattling notice under 2000 v6 when accelerating - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-25-2016, 11:39 AM   #1
Region: California
Rattling notice under 2000 v6 when accelerating

I've had this issue for a while now. I had my mechanic look into it but all he can tell me is to use better gas and to add an octane booster. I've tried adding the octane booster to the gas but I can still hear the rattling. At first I thought it was my exhaust system but I had it redone to a dual exhaust and changed a bad cat. Noise is still there. It happens when I accelerate and sounds like a thin loose metal. I've looked and checked to see what could possibly be hanging under the car or coming loose but everything seems to be fine.

J3lly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 05:46 PM   #2
Registered Member
Region: Indiana
Does your car sometimes restrict the speed when going over around 35-45 MPH?

The Red Wolf
2004 Mustang GT
PI heads on NPI shortblock
Cherry Bomb mufflers
stang938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 07:01 AM   #3
Region: Louisiana
Is your car auto or 5spd? I have a 5spd and a few months ago I had a strange rattle. It was the thin metal cover on the lower driver side of the transmission that covers the linkage for the clutch cable to clutch fork. Mine would rattle at different times though not just accelerating. Just a thought for you.
CajunStang02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 01:01 PM   #4
Registered Member
Region: Georgia
It could be spark knock.

It could be a something vibrating.

It could be a lot of things.

I filled my "new to me" GT tank with 87 octane when I picked it up. Unknown to me the car had been apparently retuned. The car lost power, and would rattle when accellerating under a load.

I ran the car down to a half tank of gas and then refilled it with some VP 103 octane racing fuel that I had, and I poured an octane additive. Once the car was empty I filled up with regular 93 octane. My spark knock went away.

If you have a manual you have to remember to downshift for big hills. The extra load is just dumping fuel into the cylinders. You will end up clogging catalytic converters, and possibly destroying pistons and cylinder walls due to detonation. If spark knock is bad enough you can blow out plugs, head gaskets, or even destroy a head.

Run a higher grade of gas and see what the results are.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 10:35 PM   #5
Registered Member
Region: Canada
Is it still doing it? If so I had a similar sound on mine and it turned out to be the e-brake cable came loose and was rubbing on my driveshaft

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Bravebowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang