This is the worst exhaust combination for a 99-04 V6. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-31-2016, 03:41 PM   #1

Region: Louisiana
This is the worst exhaust combination for a 99-04 V6.

MAC LT Headers, MAC Off Road H Pipe and Borla S Type Catbacks on my 2000 V6. It sounds horrible. I now hate myself car for putting it on. I'm disgusted with my car. I don't even like to look at her anymore. I thought it would have a clean loud V6 noise. It sounds like a raspy Honda. A Honda might even sound better actually. It doesn't even sound like a V6. I hear those little 4 banger Nissan trucks pass and they make the same noise as my mustang. $1500 bucks to make my mustang sound like a little 4 banger Nissan truck. I feel like an idiot.

On top of that, it gets loud and raspy every time it shifts then goes quiet. It gets loud when I start accelerating and then when I get to 80 MPH it goes quiet. I want it to be loud when I'm flooring it. I don't want a raspy fart cannon at 40 MPH and nothing at 80. The S Type is a weird muffler.

In any case, don't waste your time trying this combo out. You will hate it. I thought it would be a clean loud but it's just straight rasp at 3k+ RPMs. The 3.8's sound nothing like the new 3.7's. I've heard a 2014 V6 with LTs and Borla S Type axle backs and it sounded clean. I heard a 4.0 V6 with LTs, O/R X, and Borla S Type catbacks and it also sounded clean. Even with LTs and an H Pipe I can't get my 3.8 to sound clean at all.
Eatel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2016, 03:51 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Weld in a few Vibrant Performance resonators right after the mid-pipe (the longer the better). That will tone things down a touch. Stainless Works also makes some resonated 4" tips that can help as well. Restrict the flow a bit to get rid of the rasp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2016, 03:56 PM   #3

I was thinking of putting 18" vibrant ultra quiet resonators but I don't want to quiet it per say. I want the rasp gone. I want a 350z/GTR/Grand National sound. I want a mean V6 sound not a chainsaw sound.

Where should I put the resonators? Should I cut up the over axle pipe and weld them there or should I cut the H pipe up and put them there? The Borlas cost a lot of money I'd rather not cut them up unless I have to. I also have to find someone who can cut and weld stainless steel if I want to cut up the Borlas.
Old 05-31-2016, 04:01 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eatel View Post
I was thinking of putting 18" vibrant ultra quiet resonators but I don't want to quiet it per say. I want the rasp gone. I want a 350z/GTR/Grand National sound. I want a mean V6 sound not a chainsaw sound.

Where should I put the resonators? Should I cut up the over axle pipe and weld them there or should I cut the H pipe up and put them there. The Borlas cost a lot of money I'd rather not cut them up unless I have to. I also have to find someone who can cut and weld stainless steel if I want to cut up the Borlas.
I understand what you mean. I come from the Nissan community. The 350/370Z has an amazing exhaust note. With your setup, resonators won't silence you. It will drop it a few decibels, but not to the point of silence. The main goal will be to eliminate the rasp and smooth out the tone.

Personally, I would weld them into your Borla over-axle pipes just before they meet your mid-pipe. Pypes and Stainless Works use this positioning in their cat-backs and it makes a noticeable difference.
Old 05-31-2016, 04:07 PM   #5

So would 2 18" vibrant ultra quiets do the trick or should I run more than 2?
Old 05-31-2016, 04:20 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So would 2 18" vibrant ultra quiets do the trick or should I run more than 2?
1 resonator per pipe, 1 muffler per pipe. I'm assuming that you're running dual exhaust. Don't add extra resonators beyond the 1 per pipe, but you can lengthen the resonator.
Old 05-31-2016, 04:25 PM   #7

Yeah I'm running dual exhaust. Is 18" a good length or should I get a longer length?
Old 05-31-2016, 04:27 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah I'm running dual exhaust. Is 18" a good length or should I get a longer length?
Dependent entirely on your piping. You may not be able to fit anything bigger than an 18" on it.
Old 05-31-2016, 04:32 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Flowmaster 40 series is your answer. Look up punypony on YouTube he has same headers and mid pipe as you but with flowmasters instead of the s types.
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 04:32 PM   #10

Ok I see. So a good bet would be to measure the pipe and find the longest resonator that can fit there?
Old 08-22-2016, 05:32 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshow14 View Post
Flowmaster 40 series is your answer. Look up punypony on YouTube he has same headers and mid pipe as you but with flowmasters instead of the s types.
Yup flowmaster 40s.... My friend has this and it's nice. Borla always reminds me of just loud noise on 6s. No defined exhaust note. Imo
mattyp511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 07:04 AM   #12
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Buying pipes and/or mufflers without hearing them first is always going to be tough. I've always tried to attend various car shows to hear the setups on other cars like mine before I lay out the chunk of money. Sound clips don't do enough justice, so I don't place much weight on them either. In the case of a muffler or resonator, I use a local shop that will place them on the car first, then start it so I can hear it before they are welded on.

Thanks for being honest with your purchase here, and warning others. That can go a long way for others to not make the same mistake.
Old 08-28-2016, 03:21 PM   #13

Region: Texas
I bought my 2000 v6 with these already on it, anyone recognize them? There's no name that I can see. They sound really good for a six banger.

Sent from my LGL33L using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1472415432298.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	204647  
Gtwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 09:07 PM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtwannabe View Post
I bought my 2000 v6 with these already on it, anyone recognize them? There's no name that I can see. They sound really good for a six banger.

Knockoff 10 series.

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 09:13 PM   #15

Well they sound low and growl semi V8 style...? I've had them for 3 years and 45,000 miles...so I know they ain't junk.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:30 AM   #16
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: South Carolina
He didn't say junk, just knockoff. That being said I ran a Mac O/R Prochamber and Flowmaster Super 10's on my old 03 3.8. Still sounded like a v6 at anything over 1k, but I still feel it is the best sounded exhaust on the 3.8's.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 08-29-2016, 09:01 AM   #17

Oh I know, I just am surprised they haven't even gotten rusty! Maybe some sort of stainless.

Old 09-13-2016, 07:31 PM   #18

Okay guys I may have had an overreaction after first putting the system on my car. At the time when my dad first fitted it I didn't realize that he didn't screw the system tight because we had to take the H Pipe off again to paint it. There was also an exhaust leak on the H Pipe where it connects because I didn't wanna clamp it all the way with the clamp because I wanted to get it welded.

The exhaust was tightened shortly after but the H Pipe has never been welded yet. There is a still a small leak coming from it. Anyways after tightening it the sound got quieter and deeper. It sounded somewhat like an 8. Then I put a K & N FIPK CAI and it got way louder and a lot of rasp returned. However it has gotten better over time. Now it only gets really raspy during hard shifts. After that it gets to a European Style sound. It sounds pretty cool. Below 2k RPMs it sounds really deep, almost like an 8. It doesn't sound like a Flowmaster muffler, but it sounds really good. It sounds like some trucks I hear with exhaust. A nice rumble. I revved it about 7 times straight up to 3k last Sunday and it was no rasp. It had a pretty nice clean rev. It can get raspy at 3k-4k though.

Overall I'm pretty happy with it. The only problem I really have with it now is that one of the exhaust tips Borla sent me was bent. I'm thinking about calling Borla and trying to get a new one but they'll probably want me to mail in the tip first and then I'd be without a car until they send me a new one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Tags
exhaust