AC issue!!!! It's too hot for this!!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-11-2016, 08:42 AM   #1
Registered Member
AC issue!!!! It's too hot for this!!!

So on my way home from a outa town work location I noticed smoke rolling out from the hood. Pull over, pop the hood, and smoke is coming from the AC pulley, clutch, compressor area. Compressor was very hot also. I unplugged the power to the compressor and drove home perfectly fine minus a loud squeaking/metallic noise. The AC was running just before this occurred. It was also blowing cold and hot when needed. Is it the clutch, bearing, anything else, or am I SOL and havta buy a whole new compressor? Thanks in advance.

2002 3.8l v6 automatic

Feather_Not_Dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:10 PM   #2
Registered Member
Region: Indiana
If your clutch has gone bad, you can replace it, not the entire compressor. Have a certified mechanic look the situation over. You can replace the clutch assembly yourself if he says that is what went wrong.
yogibooboorange is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang