Mustang Evolution Forum banner

92 Mustang Start Up Issues

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  scurfie 
#1 ·
Hello community, first time posting here and wanted some feedback into a problem I ran into. As the title suggests I have a Mustang that won't start up. I've checked the battery terminals and tried jump starting it to no avail.

All the lights come on, stereo works and everything but it won't turn over. When I turn the ignition to start I hear a very distinct "electronic screech" for a second then it tries to turn over when I try to start it but nothing. I have not had the battery tested but a week prior to this has same issue without starting and a jumpstart got it running and turned on fine a few days later. During this time of year last year had issues with start up and took it to an electrician to have it checked for possible parasitic drains and he found nothing. Since than no problems starting until now where it won't even start up. These are probably two different scenarios but the likely cause might be a faulty starter this time around. Any help would be appreciated as the car is sitting in the drive way and probably might have to get it towed to find a solution

#4 ·
A starter can fail with little to no notice.
You mentioned that there is a "screech" noise when you turn the ignition to the start position. I believe that your car has a fender mounted starter solenoid. Have someone try to start the engine while you listen in the engine compartment for the source of that noise. If the noise is coming from the starter solenoid, it is likely that is the cause of your problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.