adding a 4wire trailer lights - Help - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-12-2008, 01:05 PM   #36
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida
Re: adding a 4wire trailer lights - Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadows View Post
I do feel about 7 yo with that comment. i just had a "choice" customer so im a bit unglued at the monent
It's all good Bro !!! I was all ready with the stick and stones ryam

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2008, 01:29 PM   #37
Legacy Member
Legacy

Click image for larger version

Name:	tow1.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	19617

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
Old 08-12-2008, 01:52 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbstang View Post
Didnt say it wasnt ugly

March 2010 Mustangevolution Mustang of the Month 1st eva biatch!
DarkShadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2008, 01:54 PM   #39
Road Trip!

<<<gonna laugh at reciever dragging the ground
SimplyOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 02:55 PM   #40
Road Trip!

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to VCS_SSSTANG

You know I fit 4 tires and 4 17x9 rims in my car to get them to discount tire to have them put on. I'm sure you can fit 4 tires alone. I would rather buy a Lightning than tow something with a mustang.
VCS_SSSTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 03:07 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCS_SSSTANG View Post
You know I fit 4 tires and 4 17x9 rims in my car to get them to discount tire to have them put on. I'm sure you can fit 4 tires alone. I would rather buy a Lightning than tow something with a mustang.
well i understand what yall mean buy not wanting to tow anything in a mustang. but it is the most efficent and easyest way to go on race day. just hitch up and roll. idk, its mostly one of many ideas right now. i still need to redue the suspension first.

March 2010 Mustangevolution Mustang of the Month 1st eva biatch!
DarkShadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 03:12 PM   #42
Road Trip!

i dont disagree with it for a track type deal, but im not sure about a bass boat.i know the track trailer is gonna be tiny
SimplyOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 03:42 PM   #43
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

I know a few ppl that have done it, and it works...just not well. Basically I would look into buying a kit if I was to do it. Last thing you want to do is hack up your new wiring just to haul a boat around.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 06:34 PM   #44

Region: Texas

Interesting want, the more and more it looks like you can not combine the two because 1). the mustangs battery can not power the trailer lights 2). I think the mustangs towing capacity is rated at 1000lbs and i dont think the boat and trailer weigh less than that. Wish i could help
06v6stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 02:50 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

The largest trailer that should ever be put behind a car that makes turns on the track...

RyansQuick6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 06:09 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyOrangeTPS View Post
ok,it wont be bad if you know how to wire relays, just use the wires going to the bulb on the drivers side as the trigger power wires on the relay, ground the other side,and run a strong 6-9V power source through the relay for your main power,
if you need further information on wiring the relays, i can draw you a picture using paint, but its gonna be hilarious looking
Thanks.
I think I understand. I saw a kit to do this. I just wish there was a way to tap right into the tail lights. Why did ford design this with only one volt to the rear?
yoyofruity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:09 AM   #47
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyofruity View Post
Thanks.
I think I understand. I saw a kit to do this. I just wish there was a way to tap right into the tail lights. Why did ford design this with only one volt to the rear?
Just another great idea from Ford to screw the public But on a serious note I research the web about towing with a mustang .While some people are doing it with OK results they also have beefed up the brakes added trans coolers etc. Ford rates the towing at 1,000 lbs now add your your weight ,son weight whatever else you bring alone plus the boat and trailer and that could be a dangerous situation with stock brakes

Quote:
Old 11-10-2008, 12:16 PM   #48

Just so you know. Everyone that said you couldn’t hard wire this was 100% wrong. The hard wiring is done and my hitch is on. Took the kids out fishing with the top down some time ago. Don't believe it if someone tells you something on this site. Keep looking until you know for sure.
Here is where I got the hitch and wiring.
wiring

hitch
Moss Mustang Store - Parts and Accessories for your Ford Mustang
Old 11-10-2008, 12:20 PM   #49
Regular

Region: Tennessee

Quote:
Don't believe it if someone tells you something on this site.
That's not fair at all. What you asked for is something that never enters the mind of majority of Ford Mustang owners. It's a little harsh to say we know nothing because the few that posted didn't get the info right on installing a trailer hitch on a Mustang.

Glad you got it figured out though.

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 12:25 PM   #50
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyOrange View Post
like it was stated before, ther is not enough voltage to run a whole trailer,next thing, your rear shocks are extremely under rated for a bass boat..you will blow them out very quickly and probably over work your rear coil springs, where the car will sag in the rear even without the boat on it....i dont reccommend it

that being said, you can run them using relays and using the wires directly off of the tail lights as driver wires for the relays, gonna take 4 relays, a large power wire from 30 amp fused source and a good bit of wiring know-how.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
I know a few ppl that have done it, and it works...just not well. Basically I would look into buying a kit if I was to do it. Last thing you want to do is hack up your new wiring just to haul a boat around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbstang View Post
Just another great idea from Ford to screw the public But on a serious note I research the web about towing with a mustang .While some people are doing it with OK results they also have beefed up the brakes added trans coolers etc. Ford rates the towing at 1,000 lbs now add your your weight ,son weight whatever else you bring alone plus the boat and trailer and that could be a dangerous situation with stock brakes

A number said you could do it and even said what would be required.

However, a "bass boat" plus trailer under 1000 pounds is a bit hard to imagine. I'm guessing it is not a real bass boat, but a boat you used to go fishing.

None the less, glad you got it sorted out like brent said. I wouldn't go painting us all with a broad "don't believe anyone on here if they say something can't be done" brush. There is a lot of knowlege on this site.

And be careful pulling that thing...your brakes and suspension are not setup as a towing rig...so take it easy.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:30 PM   #51
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Just so you know. Everyone that said you couldn’t hard wire this was 100% wrong. The hard wiring is done and my hitch is on. Took the kids out fishing with the top down some time ago. Don't believe it if someone tells you something on this site. Keep looking until you know for sure.
Here is where I got the hitch and wiring.
wiring

hitch
Moss Mustang Store - Parts and Accessories for your Ford Mustang
Glad you got it working !!!! As far as your childish comment it just shows what your about!!! But what can you expect from someone putting their child life at risk to tow your row boat

Quote:
Old 11-11-2008, 11:27 AM   #52

I stand corrected. You are correct. A lot of people on this site know exactly what they are talking about. It was wrong of me to paint with a broad brush. I found some great info that I have used on this site for other things.

You are correct also that I do not have a big bass boat. I have a small boat that I use for fishing.

My comments were made out of frustration about the “there is not enough voltage to run a whole trailer” comment. There is enough voltage and it works fine if you hard wire it.

Sorry to those I offended. My kids and I are safe because we are well below the 1000 lbs. with the boat. And I drive like a granny with the kids in the car and the trailer in tow. Thanks for the concerns.

Please accept my apologies.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:55 AM   #53
Regular

Region: Tennessee

No hard feelings.

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 01:33 PM   #54
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
I stand corrected. You are correct. A lot of people on this site know exactly what they are talking about. It was wrong of me to paint with a broad brush. I found some great info that I have used on this site for other things.

You are correct also that I do not have a big bass boat. I have a small boat that I use for fishing.

My comments were made out of frustration about the “there is not enough voltage to run a whole trailer” comment. There is enough voltage and it works fine if you hard wire it.

Sorry to those I offended. My kids and I are safe because we are well below the 1000 lbs. with the boat. And I drive like a granny with the kids in the car and the trailer in tow. Thanks for the concerns.

Please accept my apologies.
It's all good !!! Accept mine as well Keep driving safe

Quote:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang