Mustang Evolution Forum banner

starting problem, wits end, 1969

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  hfca 
#1 ·
I have a 1969 mustang that has an intermittent starting problem that has me at my wit's end.

I've been trying to get this fixed off and on for a year or two, and the car is undependable because of this, so I rarely drive it.

The car sometimes will not start and makes a grinding noise. There is only one old car mechanic place around where I live as far as I know and they have had maybe three shots at finding and fixing this.

It's complicated by its non-reproducibility. They have replaced the starter, worked on the carburetor. I think they said they looked at the flywheel and it was a little worn, but not enough to cause this.

Right now the car is just a paperweight in my garage, so I would appreciate any clues. Also if anyone could recommend a mechanic in Rhode Island who works on old Mustangs.

#3 ·
Have spark, , coil, compression, fuel pump been checked? I had a custom/fast 68 Fastback/hipo 289, what motor? Manual or auto?
I am not sure what they have done other than the starter, look at the flywheel, and carburetor. AAA came out today and made a mess trying to replace the battery, so the car is going into the mechanic again this week and I will ask them about the above.

250 cu in engine, automatic transmission.

#4 ·
Looking up flex plate, which I have never heard of, the mechanic did not mention that. He did talk about the flywheel. Does my automatic transmission car actually have a flywheel... Another thing to ask him tomorrow.

They specialize in old cars and have a lot full of majorly impressive old cars, so I have been assuming they know what they're doing, although so far they have not fixed this.

#6 ·
Bill

The problem is the Ring Gear on the Flywheel/Flexplate. There's a bad spot on the gear and when you shut it off and it happens to stop at that spot, that's when the starter grinds because it cant mesh with the bad spot on the ring gear! You could drive for weeks without a problem if it doesn't stop at the bad spot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.