cam swap without removing the engine? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-04-2004, 10:56 PM   #1

Send a message via ICQ to ridelikehell
cam swap without removing the engine?

as the topic says...can it be done? 99+ v6 we're talkin here.

thanks!
ridelikehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2004, 11:03 PM   #2
Dom
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Send a message via AIM to Dom
Yes it can. I've seen pictures. But the radiator has to come out, heads, all accesorys. You just about have to take apart the entire engine bay.
Old 01-05-2004, 08:30 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

ummm Dom, have you ever done the swap?

To swap a cam, you need to pull:

Upper, Lower, waterpump/front cover, power steering PULLEY only, and then you take off the timing chain and some other things and the cam slides right out.

edit: Taking the fan out gives you a good couple more inches of room to work. But the radiator can stay.

1999 V6 5-speed
14.6 @ 95 w/ 2.22 60'
Wrecked
stangin99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2004, 11:04 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
Radiator does not have to come out only have to take off the fan. The 3.8 cam is not very long and easily passes between the motor and the Radiator. I did it !!!!!
Old 01-05-2004, 11:29 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Dude
Radiator does not have to come out only have to take off the fan. The 3.8 cam is not very long and easily passes between the motor and the Radiator. I did it !!!!!

thanks for re-itterating

1999 V6 5-speed
14.6 @ 95 w/ 2.22 60'
Wrecked
Old 01-05-2004, 09:10 PM   #6
Dom
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangin99
ummm Dom, have you ever done the swap?

To swap a cam, you need to pull:

Upper, Lower, waterpump/front cover, power steering PULLEY only, and then you take off the timing chain and some other things and the cam slides right out.

edit: Taking the fan out gives you a good couple more inches of room to work. But the radiator can stay.
No I haven't. But the picture i saw of it, they guy did take the radiator out.
Old 01-07-2004, 09:20 PM   #7

i know you need to pull the heads, intakes and all that s**t out, I just don't have an engine hoist and I don't wanna pay an arm an a leg for something that I can do myself as I've done cam swaps before, I just wanted to make sure there was enough clearance, I have no problems taking out the rad if need be, but i'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Thanks for your help everyone!
Old 01-07-2004, 10:31 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridelikehell
i know you need to pull the heads, intakes and all that s**t out, I just don't have an engine hoist and I don't wanna pay an arm an a leg for something that I can do myself as I've done cam swaps before, I just wanted to make sure there was enough clearance, I have no problems taking out the rad if need be, but i'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Thanks for your help everyone!

did you even read my first reply?

if you pull the heads and all your accessories, your going to sit there and wonder why you just wasted all that time and money on new head gaskets/bolts.

1999 V6 5-speed
14.6 @ 95 w/ 2.22 60'
Wrecked
Old 01-07-2004, 11:57 PM   #9
Dom
Registered Member
Regular

He may have new heads.
Old 01-08-2004, 12:21 AM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

To pull the cam you dont need to take off the heads. But most people are changing the heads when they do a cam. What is this about a hoist. Totally unecessary unless you are taking out the entire engine !!!! hell the aluminum heads dont weight squat. The biggest concern is the Cam position sensor. You need to make sure you are top dead center when you disassemble. The CPS has got to go in exactly as it came out or your car wont start or run very very bad. It send the signal to the coil pack for proper spark timing
Old 01-08-2004, 04:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangin99
did you even read my first reply?

if you pull the heads and all your accessories, your going to sit there and wonder why you just wasted all that time and money on new head gaskets/bolts.
how does what you just said have anything to do with your first reply..in your first reply you said what has to come off...how does that entail me sitting there and wondering what i wasted time and money on?...which I wouldn't mind you explaining to me seeing as I have no idea why that will be a waste of my time...
maybe you could explain it all to me actually since i seem to be such an idiot and I aparantly don't know too much...and why the hell do i need new bolts...gaskets obviously, but why bolts?

thanks.
Old 01-08-2004, 04:20 PM   #12

Quote:
To pull the cam you dont need to take off the heads. But most people are changing the heads when they do a cam. What is this about a hoist. Totally unecessary unless you are taking out the entire engine !!!! hell the aluminum heads dont weight squat. The biggest concern is the Cam position sensor. You need to make sure you are top dead center when you disassemble. The CPS has got to go in exactly as it cam out or your car wont start or run very very bad. It send the signal to the coil pack for proper spark timing
thanks for your help man...about a hoist i was just saying that i don't have one, so if the cam swap meant i had to remove the engine then i wouldn't be able to...but since it doesn't have to come out im good...
except for the fact that stangin99 thinks i'll be wasting my time, which im hoping he'll explain to me.
Old 01-08-2004, 05:00 PM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

If you take your heads off which you dont to just change a cam you need new head bolts. Head bolts are really a one time use item as are gaskets and such
Old 01-08-2004, 05:31 PM   #14

Quote:
If you take your heads off which you dont to just change a cam you need new head bolts. Head bolts are really a one time use item as are gaskets and such
oh right on I didn't know they couldn't be reused...thanks!.....

I actually am getting a different set of heads aswell...that's what I was going to do first, and I just figured i'd put a more aggressive cam in while im in there.
Old 01-08-2004, 05:46 PM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Then you need to get more head bolts or studs
Old 01-09-2004, 08:42 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridelikehell
Quote:
To pull the cam you dont need to take off the heads. But most people are changing the heads when they do a cam. What is this about a hoist. Totally unecessary unless you are taking out the entire engine !!!! hell the aluminum heads dont weight squat. The biggest concern is the Cam position sensor. You need to make sure you are top dead center when you disassemble. The CPS has got to go in exactly as it cam out or your car wont start or run very very bad. It send the signal to the coil pack for proper spark timing
thanks for your help man...about a hoist i was just saying that i don't have one, so if the cam swap meant i had to remove the engine then i wouldn't be able to...but since it doesn't have to come out im good...
except for the fact that stangin99 thinks i'll be wasting my time, which im hoping he'll explain to me.

because I told you you didnt need to pull the heads and accessories yet you said here
Quote:
know you need to pull the heads, intakes and all that s**t out, I just don't have an engine hoist and I don't wanna pay an arm an a leg for something that I can do myself as I've done cam swaps before, I just wanted to make sure there was enough clearance, I have no problems taking out the rad if need be, but i'll cross that bridge when I come to it.
that you know you have to take the heads off

You never said you were swapping heads. If your just doing a cam install, pulling your heads is a huge waste of time/money and is just stupid.

If you ARE swapping heads then you NEED new head gaskets and bolts as they are both one time use only. If you want, you can spend some more and get ARP Studs which are re-useable about 15 times.

1999 V6 5-speed
14.6 @ 95 w/ 2.22 60'
Wrecked

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang