Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Burning smell! Need help

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  51008 
#1 ·
Hello all, I'am new to the forum and I have an issue. Got a 95 3.8L V6 and it was sitting for a long time before I purchased and the car was completely neglected. I've done a lot of work to it so far but I smell something burning (car was smoking), I'am new to the car world and this is my first project vehicle. Its pushing 205k in millage and apparently the lady stated that her husband had to put in 2quarts of transmission fluid before I arrive that day. Ok, the burning smell was always there but after replacing the spark plugs and wires I smell it worst. Its on the passanger side and a little hint on the drivers side. I checked the tranny fluid and its low and stinks. Oh yea, my heater core hose was leaking fixed that (fixed the smoking part) so the smell is little bit less now. I check the wires and they are a bit close to the original headers. Maybe I install plugs wrong? Tranny starting to go? Antifreeze cause smoking? Wires to close to Headers? Any ideas?

#3 ·
When I replace valve pan cover gaskets i didnt clamp my hose down to the heater core. Anitfreeze dripped onto the header . that is where the smoked came from. Today I fixed it and no more smoke. Now, its just a burning smell, no smoke. The smell is coming from around the ac accumulator, valve pan cover and header location (passenger side). Its not gas or oil smell. It smells of pure burnt as something is burning off .

#6 · (Edited)
Most auto stores have someone that will help you figure out something like what the smell is. It would help to have your wife or girlfriend do it. They get more help due to its assumed they are not knowledgeable about cars.[/QUOTE]

And they will be sold something not needed.....

OP, it could be just the smell of the new gaskets getting broken in. "Cured", if you will. Or some oil/gunk got spilled/dropped on the headers/intake plenum that is slowly burning off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.