Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Weird coolant leak. Water pump or pulley?

8K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  straybullitt 
#1 ·
I have a weird coolant leak. Cleaned off thepump to see if I can find the source and seems Its from a little hole above this circular thing. I think it's a weep hole. Also found this seal ripped on my main pulley. Is this a contributing factor or separate issue. Thanks.

#6 ·
Ok I figured. Thanks for your help. One last question is that do i need to remove theps pulley or can I manage to do it without.. I have the water pump off basically just need to remove the ps pulley it seems. Also if I do, do I need thespecial tool or can I rig something up?

#7 ·
Also about the seal. I dunno if u can tell front the picture but the seal is on the back of the main crank pulley it self. Not where it meets the block but where the pulley bolts to the crank. I believe. Methane u can tell better from the pic? Also I imagine it needs to be fixed asap or is it minor

#8 ·
The power steering pulley needs to be removed. Get a pulley remover from an auto parts store. They usually have them as "loaner" if you don't want to purchase one. You will also need a pulley installation tool to press the pulley back onto the pump. Don't try to hammer the pulley back onto the pump!

I think that you are referring to the rubber ring on the crankshaft balancer/pulley. If so, they tend to start deteriorating around the exposed portion of the rubber, but the rest of the ring can still be in sound condition inside of the balancer. They typically last as long as the engine before needing replacement. Although they have been known to go bad prematurely at times, I wouldn't worry too much about it, unless your engine develops a strange unexplained vibration at some point.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.