Need Advice/Help. Pretty New To Boost lol? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-14-2017, 11:19 AM   #1

Region: New Jersey
Need Advice/Help. Pretty New To Boost lol?

I own a 2002 Mustang 3.8L later down the road im looking to boost her but in order to use higher boost psi, I would have to make my engine tougher to withstand that kind of stress, right?

Now I know I would need "forged internals, bigger injectors, bigger fuel pump" as I said im new to boost and everything I listed here ive learned from reading this website alot. I read something about 3-6 psi would be all the stock motor can handle before crapping out. ?

Now my questions are: ??
1. What else would I need for this build regarding to parts?

2. What forged internal are out there for a 3.8 Stang and what would be my best option for it?

..... im pretty sure I have more questions but cant think of any now. Also im looking to make around 400-500 HP nothing too big just something I can have fun with ??
ILoveMyStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2017, 11:23 AM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
http://www.supersixmotorsports.com/
Have fun.

Pick your poison.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 12:00 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Shoulda bought a GT.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2017, 12:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeaton View Post
Shoulda bought a GT.....
Not everyone wants a GT so you can save your criticism
Old 07-14-2017, 01:18 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
My speed shop just said don't bother. I traded my 2003 for a 2007.
gary9alan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 01:22 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveMyStang View Post
GT=more power for less money than a built V6 or Honda Civic engine. You want more power. JKEATON just said what most others are going to say.

For the record, my brother supercharged a 2014 V6. Yes, it does have a bit more power. I'm glad that car had a supercharger whine to drown out the import sounding exhaust to some degree.
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 01:46 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Old 07-14-2017, 01:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
Quote:
GT=more power for less money than a built V6 or Honda Civic engine. You want more power. JKEATON just said what most others are going to say.

For the record, my brother supercharged a 2014 V6. Yes, it does have a bit more power. I'm glad that car had a supercharger whine to drown out the import sounding exhaust to some degree.
I get that I respect his opinion but wont stand for the criticism its alot cheaper yes but the point of this build is to show that older V6s can do as much as the new & older GTs and the new V6s
Old 07-14-2017, 02:02 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I get that I respect his opinion but wont stand for the criticism its alot cheaper yes but the point of this build is to show that older V6s can do as much as the new & older GTs and the new V6s
Unless you plan to build the entire engine to race specs, and spend a ton of money, you will grenade the 6 trying to keep up with a new GT.

I would make for a fun grudge race toy though.
Old 07-14-2017, 02:06 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
The "criticism" that you will hear on this website will mostly be constructive.
The reason for trying to discourage you from highly modifying the V6 is because, from a financial standpoint, it makes no sense. The dollar per horsepower ratio is very high. Not to mention, the possible reliability problems.
And when, not if, you ever want to sell the car, most all of the money spent will be lost.

You could actually buy a Terminator for what it will end up costing you to get a 3.8 to the 400-500 hp level, with all of the supporting mods. And the Terminator will likely hold its value quite well. Along with being a platform that is comparatively easy to modify.

If you have a lot of discretionary income to toss at a project that will be "different", sort of, then build up the V6... It's your money and time to spend as you please. Just be aware that there is a reason that most people don't do expensive modifications to the V6 engines.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 02:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
Quote:
Unless you plan to build the entire engine to race specs, and spend a ton of money, you will grenade the 6 trying to keep up with a new GT.

I would make for a fun grudge race toy though.
Yeah true but then again I dont want a ton of power to race on like the drag or anything. I just want to "get up and go". So typically im good with a set up that'll get me low 4s or mid 3s. But the only way I know to get to that point is a turbo or procharge. But I thank everyone for their input
Old 07-14-2017, 02:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
The "criticism" that you will hear on this website will mostly be constructive.
The reason for trying to discourage you from highly modifying the V6 is because, from a financial standpoint, it makes no sense. The dollar per horsepower ratio is very high. Not to mention, the possible reliability problems.
And when, not if, you ever want to sell the car, most all of the money spent will be lost.

You could actually buy a Terminator for what it will end up costing you to get a 3.8 to the 400-500 hp level, with all of the supporting mods. And the Terminator will likely hold its value quite well. Along with being a platform that is comparatively easy to modify.

If you have a lot of discretionary income to toss at a project that will be "different", sort of, then build up the V6... It's your money and time to spend as you please. Just be aware that there is a reason that most people don't do expensive modifications to the V6 engines.
Thanks for the input.
Old 07-14-2017, 02:40 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

One of the members of this forum used to be very knowledgeable about modding the 3.8. His name is davidcseifert, but I haven't seen him on here for a while. His car was pretty fast, and I believe that it was normally aspirated with mostly reasonably low cost modifications. His car would run a 8.5 eighth mile, which is faster than most of our GT's.
If you wanted a car that will run a low 4 to high 3 second 1/8, you need something more along the line of those cars that you see on Street Outlaws.
Old 07-14-2017, 02:59 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I think he was referencing the HP numbers instead of 1/8 mile time.

...but to get into a 4 sec 1/8 time you need a perfectly tunes suspension, an engine putting out tons of torque, and around 2000-3000hp. You will also need a drive train capable to launching that much power. All in all, you will need a $100,000 toy.
Old 07-14-2017, 03:01 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I'm in no way criticizing you dude. Tongue in cheek humor. It's your car. Do what you want. Saying you should have bought a GT is not criticizing. It's stating an obvious fact. The internet can be intimidating at times. Sorry that the statement came across as wrong. One of the problems with written words without knowing the intent. My intent was not to criticize. Good luck with your build. Be sure to post pics along the way.
Old 07-14-2017, 03:07 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeaton View Post
I'm in no way criticizing you dude. Tongue in cheek humor. It's your car. Do what you want. Saying you should have bought a GT is not criticizing. It's stating an obvious fact. The internet can be intimidating at times. Sorry that the statement came across as wrong. One of the problems with written words without knowing the intent. My intent was not to criticize. Good luck with your build. Be sure to post pics along the way.
Its all good dude and your right about the Internet and not knowing what the person means over text. But im just not going to spend any money on any turbos or superchargers till I can get a GT. I'll just make her look pretty sound good and then sell her for a GT
Old 07-14-2017, 03:17 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Your probably right. Likely referencing hp.

I don't think that you need a hundred grand to break into the 4's nowadays. There are probably, at least, a few stock bottom end LSx turbo powered foxbody's that can do it.
Old 09-30-2017, 01:04 AM   #18

Region: South Carolina
If your a big fan of the "Essex" 3.8s then welcome to this life lol. I'm in the process of building my 02 3.8. Estimated off multiple and multiple hours of research on just about every website and forum, I should be making at least 315-350hp to the wheels without spending over $2k. Which yeah sounds like a lot but I'll be dog walking GTs that have bolt ons.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Staticdroptop is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang