Rebuilding Rear Brake Caliper Problem - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-18-2017, 11:47 AM   #1

Region: North Carolina
Exclamation Rebuilding Rear Brake Caliper Problem

So here's the deal, iv got a base 00' mustang and the back right caliper piston was leaking fluid. I got the rebuild kit and now i'm attempting to take the piston out. The biggest problem is that i had already cranked them down previously and now i need to get them back out. As you all probably already know, its got the ebrake system built in so its exceedingly fun to work with without the tool(which i dont have). What is the procedure for extracting the piston? Do i just use a flat head screw driver to apply upward force on the piston and turn counter-clockwise with some channel locks..or what? I dont have an air compressor or any other fancy tools, just channel locks, wrenches, screwdrivers and a large socket set(forgive me, im only 22 lol)
Thanks ahead of time
mustang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2017, 04:32 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang77 View Post
So here's the deal, iv got a base 00' mustang and the back right caliper piston was leaking fluid. I got the rebuild kit and now i'm attempting to take the piston out. The biggest problem is that i had already cranked them down previously and now i need to get them back out. As you all probably already know, its got the ebrake system built in so its exceedingly fun to work with without the tool(which i dont have). What is the procedure for extracting the piston? Do i just use a flat head screw driver to apply upward force on the piston and turn counter-clockwise with some channel locks..or what? I dont have an air compressor or any other fancy tools, just channel locks, wrenches, screwdrivers and a large socket set(forgive me, im only 22 lol)
Thanks ahead of time
I don't see why a jolt of compressed air wouldn't force it out. Need to find a guy with air hose and a blowgun. Was thinking at first, use air down at the "air store", but no way to do it with their permanently fastened on tire chuck.
65 k car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 01:40 PM   #3

Region: North Carolina
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65 k car View Post
I don't see why a jolt of compressed air wouldn't force it out. Need to find a guy with air hose and a blowgun. Was thinking at first, use air down at the "air store", but no way to do it with their permanently fastened on tire chuck.
Thank you for replying
mustang77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang