Turbo in 3.8 help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-09-2018, 11:53 AM   #1

Region: Canada
Turbo in 3.8 help

Hey, so I want to boost my 2000 3.8L, I want to know exactly what I would need starting from square one. I've been told that I need 1. Compressor 2. Turbine 3. Wastegastes And Bypass Valves 4. Heat, Detonation, And Intercooling 5. Fuel Systems 6. A Turbo.. I just want to know if there are kits out there what all I have to relocate and what I need what would be best. Any help is appreciated! I know there are other things like, tyres, gears, rear end, suspension, sway arms/control arms, exhaust. I just want pretty much a check list, I've tried looking for some other people have used but no luck. Thank you in*advance!!!☺
INFAMOUS FTFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2018, 12:23 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I wonder how a Ecoboost engine would fit into a New Edge engine bay?
4 or 6 cylinder, it wouldn't really matter.

Anyway, don't forget to add "wheelbarrow full of cash" to any list that you come up with.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 12:44 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
How much money do you have set aside for this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2018, 01:11 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by INFAMOUS FTFW View Post
Hey, so I want to boost my 2000 3.8L, I want to know exactly what I would need starting from square one. I've been told that I need 1. Compressor 2. Turbine 3. Wastegastes And Bypass Valves 4. Heat, Detonation, And Intercooling 5. Fuel Systems 6. A Turbo..
1. A compressor is the cold side of the turbo, where the fresh air comes in and is "compressed."

2. The Turbine is the hotside of the turbo, where the exhaust gas drives the turbine.

3. Yes, you need those.

4. Yes, you need to understand the implications of heat and detonation in regards to engine health and performance.

I'm not going to tell you what you need, and i personally don't think anyone should. If this is something you expect to do yourself, i expect you to do your homework, because when something goes wrong (and it will) you will be equipped to handle it at that point. If we sit here and spoon feed you, you wont be equipped to handle issues when they arise and will basically be lost with a non running car. I don't mind tell you what you need to research, but i wont give you a check list.

Personally, i don't think this is a good idea for several reasons, but i'll humor you. Show us you're giving some effort and doing some research and we'll help fill in the blanks. I want to see how serious you are about this.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:31 PM   #5

That would be sick!!!

---------- Post added at 11:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 PM ----------

$2500 ish
Old 01-09-2018, 11:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
1. A compressor is the cold side of the turbo, where the fresh air comes in and is "compressed."

2. The Turbine is the hotside of the turbo, where the exhaust gas drives the turbine.

3. Yes, you need those.

4. Yes, you need to understand the implications of heat and detonation in regards to engine health and performance.

I'm not going to tell you what you need, and i personally don't think anyone should. If this is something you expect to do yourself, i expect you to do your homework, because when something goes wrong (and it will) you will be equipped to handle it at that point. If we sit here and spoon feed you, you wont be equipped to handle issues when they arise and will basically be lost with a non running car. I don't mind tell you what you need to research, but i wont give you a check list.

Personally, i don't think this is a good idea for several reasons, but i'll humor you. Show us you're giving some effort and doing some research and we'll help fill in the blanks. I want to see how serious you are about this.
Ive got help from a shop so it's not like I'm doing it 100% myself, I just want to know what exactly I'm going to need Beaune every person I talk to says different then the last.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:35 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ive got help from a shop so it's not like I'm doing it 100% myself, I just want to know what exactly I'm going to need Beaune every person I talk to says different then the last.
Because there is no right answer. That's why i'm trying to get you to understand this on your own. I'll just go ahead and lay it on you.

1. First of all, who even makes a turbo header for your car?
2. What turbo flange does that header come with?
3. What's the safe torque level of your engine and transmission (dont let anyone tell what what HP level is safe, torque is what breaks engines).
4. Now that you know what turbo flange you need, and what powerband you're after you can pick a turbo. So, what's the theoretical CFM flow through your engine? You could pick one way too small and end up with all low end power and nothing up top, or one way too large and end up with no bottom end and all the power up top.
5. Do your stock cams support a turbo? Most turbos do not like valve over lap, and most stock NA cams are tuned with a bit of overlap.
6. What are your options for connecting the turbo downpipe to the rest of your exhaust?
7. Is your current exhaust large enough to support the additional exhaust flow?
8. If you know the theoretical CFM flow through the engine, and the Lb/min flow of the turbo in your target powerband you can pick appropriate sized injectors.
9. Can your in-tank fuel pump support the power, or will that need to be changed as well?
10. You'll need new spark plugs, and you'll have to gap them for boost.
11. Will your current MAF support the additional airflow, or will you have to upgrade or scale the MAF?
12. You're probably going to need someone to make you a custom intake, do you know what sized ID your MAF housing needs to be?
13. will your differential gear be appropriate for boost, or will you need to regear?
14. Is the 7.5" diff strong enough for boost?
15. What about your tires? You're going to need new rims for wider or stickier tires.
16. Suspension? Do you expect the stock stuff to handle the new power?
17. Brakes? You'll need new tires and new pads at the very least for safe stopping distances.
18. Is your grille large enough for an adequate intercooler? How thick / tall can your intercooler be? Understand how pressure drop through the intercooler works.
19. What are you going to use for boost control?
20. What base psi spring are you going to put in the wastegate?
21. Will your turbo have an internal or external wastegate?
22. You'll need custom intercooler pipes and a BPV flange. What BPV is large enough to support the airflow you'll be putting through it?

There's more, but that's a good place to start.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:26 AM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: Europe
Quote:
That would be sick!!!

---------- Post added at 11:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 PM ----------

$2500 ish
You'd need about triple that if you want it to be reliable and if you are getting help from a shop... $2500 might be enough to get a kit made by a custom shop.

For the cost you could sell your car for plus $2500 why not just sell yours and get the cleanest 96-98 GT you can find and PI swap it?
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:43 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
You'd need about triple that if you want it to be reliable and if you are getting help from a shop... $2500 might be enough to get a kit made by a custom shop.

For the cost you could sell your car for plus $2500 why not just sell yours and get the cleanest 96-98 GT you can find and PI swap it?
$2500 barely buys you a quality turbo. Headers are gonna run another $1000 to $1500 for quality as well. I'm with you, leave it how it is or get a GT.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:00 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon
I know some of the comments sound harsh, but I must agree. I bought my '05 GT with a Kenny Bell 2.4 L blower already installed and the buy included the receipts for the install. All together the first owner put $10K into the install, (including the blower kit). I had to put another $400 plus my time to install a Thumper Serpentine Belt Tensioner, (Factory Cobra Jets use them) to keep the serpentine belt from coming off when you hit the rev limiter - and you will because the motor revs so fast (at least the 4.6 does once it it under pressure.
I love the power and throttle response but it does come with a price and higher gas consumption. With our relatively small gas tanks it's a pain to have to re-fuel seemingly all the time - Aw poor me! I did have the motor de-tuned to keep it together, not sure what the sixes can take stock but my 4.6 can live with 400 RWHP, much more than that and your getting into hurting the block etc. 400 at the wheels is about 460 at the motor, I'm using a Performance Automatic upgraded 5 speed auto.
Good luck, and it's good you are asking questions!
'05 Mustang GT, KB Supercharger, (10 PSI), detuned to 400 RWHP for longevity, PA Street Fighter Transmission & Torque Converter, BMR LCA & Adj Upper, BMR Adj Panhard Rod, BMR Strut Tower Brace, etc, etc.
Gil05GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:35 PM   #11
Staff
Regular
Staff

The stock sixes can make enough on boost to feel like a gt for 2 or 3 times the price of a gt.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 01-11-2018, 05:46 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
The stock sixes can make enough on boost to feel like a gt for 2 or 3 times the price of a gt.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:53 AM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

And inb4 "but I want to be unique" or "prove it can be done" or "I have sentimental value to my car".

1- You're not unique, there are 3.8 builds out there

2 - Its already been proved by competent big money shops a hundred times over

3 - No you don't, you aren't keeping that car till you die, guarantee it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang