Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Do I have Transmission Issues

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  oxfordwhite 
#1 ·
Hello all, for a while i have noticed while accelerating on interstate (usually 3rd to overdrive) the car will accelerate, but my rpm stays at 1800 until I speed up from about 58/60 ish to 70. I have noticed this while driving on the highway as well. The trans also makes a thud and vibration while shifting drom 3rd to OD. I am wondering if my trans is slipping? Sometimes it even seems to shift in between 3rd and 4th if try to accelerate but if I give it more gas it locks into 3rd.
2001 3.8 Auto
235,000 miles origional motor and trans. Yes the motor and trans probably need to be replaced, but it drives great apart from this trans issue. I am looking for a cheaper fix so the car will drive for a few more months

#3 ·
I have never had an automatic transmission last 235,000 miles. I've heard of it happening, but just never any of my transmissions.
Seems like that transmission gave good service, and is probably nearing the end of it's life.
If you need it to last for a few more months, I recommend "babying" the car until you can figure out what to do about replacing the transmission. Drive it like you have a raw egg in between your foot and the gas pedal, and you are trying to not break the egg.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.