My Suspension Adventure at the Dealership. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-12-2004, 11:56 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

My Suspension Adventure at the Dealership.

Thought I'd share my holiday fun with you guys...

Around 4500 miles my '03 starting squeaking in the front end going up and down fairly steep grades. Took it to the dealer for a checkup.

I walked in and told the service writer what was wrong...I had a pretty good description and location of the problem, and I told her under what conditions the squeaking occured. She, of course, didn't tell the tech a thing I said, so I sat for two hours while he farted around bouncing the front end and rolling the car back and forth (lovely grease on my headliner from that manuever). He never drove the car under the conditions I described.

Finally he decided the rotors were glazed, so he put a non-directional finish on them and deglazed the pads. They let me know that the pads weren't factory ones and they were doing me a favor by not charging me for the deglazing. Not factory? At 4500 miles? Real sweethearts.

Anyway, three hours burned, because I pulled out on the highway up a little grade and guess what...the squeaking was still there. Plus, I had complimentary gouge marks on my wheels from the jackhammer the tech must have used to leverage the center caps off. Too pissed to go back 'cause my off-day was pretty well gone already. Why are they so afraid to let a customer actually talk to the technician to describe what's going on so all the important information isn't lost between the service desk and the service bay? Five minutes is all I ask!

Talked with a friend of mine who owns a garage. "Seen it a lot." he said. "Take a grease gun and needle and shoot the ball joint boots full. It'll stop it."

That night I'm under the car filling the boots, and when I took it up the road on a test run, it fixed it! I pulled back in my driveway and...squeak! :

Next week I took it back and told them the squeak was still there. After a couple hours of TSB's and consultation with the higher-ups, the technician (same one, looked about 13 years old), decided the ball joints were squeaking, and said the control arms had to be replaced. Of course they weren't in stock, so...I'm back NEXT week!

Went back the next week and sat five hours because I didn't have anyone to come pick me up. Finally got the car fixed and took it home! 8)

In the meantime I'd been smelling oil burning, so I put it on a lift at work and found oil on the bellhousing. Yeah.

I told them I thought the rear main was leaking, so on my last visit they did a dye check and couldn't find a thing. Problem was I had cleaned the oil off the tranny, so everyone was lost and confused I guess when they saw a clean underbelly. Pissed me off, but I left with a non-squeaky car. More grease on the headliner, though.

Drove the 'Stang about 2000 more miles, came up my drive one night after work and something CLUNKED under the passenger side. Oh, boy. Here we go again. :

Next morning (another off day), I get it back on the lift at work and...this is SO frustrating...I see that the passenger end link nut is gone, along with the bottom end link bushing. The sway bar link has danced merrily back into the coil spring after slightly elongating the hole in the (BRAND NEW) control arm as it wallowed around. The clunking is the coil spring chewing on the end link.

Back to the dealer we go, and I'm ticked. I went in and told them I didn't care what they had to do, but my car was going to be fixed THAT DAY and I wasn't sitting around for hours and hours while they pooted around. Four trips for one problem sucked, not to mention the fact that I ride my kids around in that car, and I don't want them dead. Oh, and by the way, I'M STILL SMELLING BURNING OIL!

I got slick then...I went to parts and checked to see if they had an endlink. Of course, they didn't. I sat there for two hours before I finally had enough and called a friend to take me home for awhile. When I went back four hours later they were "wrapping it up", because they not only fixed the end link with parts robbed off a new GT, but they miraculously followed the quart of oil on the bellhousing all the way up to the rear main seal, correctly deduced that it was leaking, and managed to outdo themselves by fixing that problem also.

At that point I was almost happy...TWO problems fixed in one day! I got in the car with my son, heading out to meet my wife and daughter at a local restaurant for a grand celebration of good over evil! I pulled out on the highway and goosed 'er a little, but the tranny acted WEIRD!

I looked down and saw that the speedometer was at zero and my mileage readout was blank, so I wheeled right into the next side road and circled right back to the service department. The tech said he'd hook the speedometer right up, so he drove the car to his lift where I watched him for the next ten minutes trying to fumble that connector back into its socket.

I kind of wonder if something about it was broke because he took so long, but that will have to wait until I can get it on the lift at work again. Tomorrow...on my off day.

Owners, beware. Here's the moral: there is nothing free in this life, and even if you get the bonus of a bumper-to-bumper warranty included with your car...you WILL pay for all those free repairs...one way or another!

Peace, love, 'Stangs.
2003 White 3.8/Auto/No mods YET. Now considering what massive horsepower mod to do first.
Tin Kicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2004, 11:58 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to tire
whoa i'm sorry to be rude but are there cliff notes?
tire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 12:02 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Well, okay.
Went to dealer. Dealer screwed me multiple times. Finally got satisfaction, but is it really over? Stay tuned... :no:

Peace, love, 'Stangs.
2003 White 3.8/Auto/No mods YET. Now considering what massive horsepower mod to do first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2004, 05:34 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
Dealers are hit and miss at best. The real test is customer service. If you have a real good service dept they will ask you to go for a ride with them and point out the noise
Old 01-13-2004, 07:14 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

ya you really need to find a good dealer in your area. My local Ford dealer is **** IMO. But the local SVT dealer is my best friend

They carry everything and would order/work on any part almost.

1999 V6 5-speed
14.6 @ 95 w/ 2.22 60'
Wrecked
stangin99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 02:17 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Indiana
Send a message via AIM to Fishers Stang
Hey man sorry about your time there, my Ford dealer that i go to, (not the one i bought the stang from) but the one we got 2 of our other cars from, I went there to get new tires, I pulled up, told the lady what i needed, she said it would be 1 1/2 hrs be 4 they could get the tires from goodyear, I said ok thats cool she asked if i wanted to stay the whole time, or have the Ford Driver take me home, well cause it was a 30 min drive to home I just stayed, they put a ton of paper on the floor, and i saw her go wash her hands to drive my car into the bays, the tech came up shook my hand and said that the tires will be there in about 15 min, (i guess goodyear was going to drop them off, so i was happy. then they took the rims off, (yeah they are stock) but took care of them, put my tires on the rim and did the road test, then looked at my undercar, to make sure everything was ok, well he saw my in the window watchin everything, he came over and asked if i wanted to see anything I loved it, they were nice, did everything right, and cost was low.

(short form; went to Ford, Loved it, very happy)
Old 01-13-2004, 10:51 PM   #7
Dom
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Send a message via AIM to Dom
Why I didn't want a warranty with my car. I'd end up paying for it anyway.
Old 01-18-2004, 10:29 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Dude
Dealers are hit and miss at best. The real test is customer service. If you have a real good service dept they will ask you to go for a ride with them and point out the noise
Sometimes you gotta make them bring the customer service to you.
I walk right into a mechanic's bay or the grease pit. Only once have I been
asked to leave and that was actually at a stereo shop.

Redlined Performance Mustangs
Cylinder Head / Intake Porting, Camshafts, Pistons, Cold Airs/Pulleys
www.rpm-mustangs.com

http://rpm-mustangs.com/pictures/KEcrank.jpg
mikael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 06:44 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

that sucks hardcore

and i cant believe i read all of that.

i'd go to a different dealer if possible

Garaged:
1990 Ford Mustang GT
5.0L V8
4-Speed Automatic Overdrive
ItWouldAppearSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 02:39 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
I've been to 5 dealers here in ms and finally found a decent one, SVT dealer too, it's a 30 minute drive from where I live but well worth it. Ppl know me by name now and fix stuff without piddling around with crap. I'm so glad I finally found a decent dealer. Of course I found the dealership when my car has 34000 on it, now I'm at 35500 and just wishing I had found them earlier...
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 07:09 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry my post was so long, but some things just have to be said. There's another dealer about 40 miles from me that everybody talks highly of, so I think I'll try them next time.

Maybe I won't need a next time. (Ha!)

Peace, love, 'Stangs.
Old 01-27-2004, 06:47 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
thats all in a day at ford, i alwasy talk to the tech i dont sit back and let them figure it out... i alwasy watch them work on my car so i can make sure if they screw up then they know i know.... cuz be srue they wotn tell ya. my speedo was also left un done but it was an easy fix. I had to fight with tehm for over a year and have 2 reps come out (that were also just as stupid) .... and still problem i have not fixed. if your problem is be happy, i would take a look at that rear main seal cuz it dotn seem like they had ample time to replace it but you never know.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 07:55 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, they started on the rear main about 11am and was done around 3. I have a friend in parts there who said they did pull a new seal from inventory, so I'm pretty sure everything's cool. It hasn't leaked since.

One thing everybody here ought to know about are the lemon laws in their state. I'm saving every piece of paperwork, because if it's determined that the repairs I have to have done exceed a certain level of stupidity in a year, I've got a case.

Good idea is what I'm doing: make a scrapbook of everything you do or have done to the car from the day you buy it. Every receipt, every service invoice, even make notes on what they tell you at garages so you'll have your memory straight if you have to come back. Don't let them stick you deeper than what they can possibly get away with!!!

Peace, love, 'Stangs.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang