FMIC & Eaton M112? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-26-2008, 01:21 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
FMIC & Eaton M112?

I was thinking about the whole "cant intercool the M112 on a 6" thing for a while now. Wouldnt it make sense to simply create a single or split CNC'd lower intake thats split down the center (seperating top from bottom) at about 6" tall. This would allow a 2.5" IC pipe to be run into the upper and lower "boxes" and to a FMIC. Thoughts?
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2008, 01:49 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to VCS_SSSTANG
Re: FMIC & Eaton M112?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion1 View Post
I was thinking about the whole "cant intercool the M112 on a 6" thing for a while now. Wouldnt it make sense to simply create a single or split CNC'd lower intake thats split down the center (seperating top from bottom) at about 6" tall. This would allow a 2.5" IC pipe to be run into the upper and lower "boxes" and to a FMIC. Thoughts?
Then what do you do about fuel rails? How do you get the intercooled air into the motor? I think ever possible way to do that has been though of and their is no simple way.
VCS_SSSTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 02:07 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Ok maybe I didnt explain it the way I wanted to. Basicly take a 6"tall by X" by X" box, put runners on it to the heads(for the injectors and rails). Now split the box straight down the middle (top half is filled with air from Supercharger, blows it out the front, through the FMIC, and into the lower portion of the box and through the runners)

Runners to heads on each side w/ rails and injectors
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	6.0 KB
ID:	19658  
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2008, 02:34 AM   #4
Road Trip!

Well that thing would be huge after the m112 sitting on top of it....

6" box + m112 + upper intake
= holy jeebus!!!!!!!
Old 08-27-2008, 04:05 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

upper intake? Eh well this is why Im still researching things . I was also thinking of a 2.5" tall box, same outlet but instead of a seperated box run a log type runner underneath and run the intake runners out of that to keep clearances down. Probably cut it down to about 3.5-4"
Old 08-27-2008, 07:25 AM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

I'll bet you could get something to work with the GM intercooler setups..

Unless the 112's bolt pattern is that different.. you'd be modifying your lower intake to fit the 112 already...
Old 08-27-2008, 09:41 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Im assuming thats water to air?
Old 08-27-2008, 11:47 AM   #8
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCS_SSSTANG View Post
Well that thing would be huge after the m112 sitting on top of it....

6" box + m112 + upper intake
= holy jeebus!!!!!!!
that was supposed to be 6" box + m112 + lower intake. The m112 adapter bolts up to the lower then the m112 on top.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:04 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

Quote:
Im assuming thats water to air?
Yes...

I had to run hoses/etc, front mount heat exhanger... water to air
Old 08-27-2008, 09:13 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
that was supposed to be 6" box + m112 + lower intake. The m112 adapter bolts up to the lower then the m112 on top.
ah, no the idea was to make something to replace the intake all together. (upp & lower)
Old 08-28-2008, 02:11 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Heres the real question, If I work up several functional designs would someone be willing to help me with testing/marketing? Thats the only thing id really have trouble with.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:57 PM   #12
Road Trip!

I think hipo on v6power is already working on it, your gonna have a hard time marketing anything with hipo making one.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:02 PM   #13
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Heres the real question, If I work up several functional designs would someone be willing to help me with testing/marketing? Thats the only thing id really have trouble with.
Quote:
I think hipo on v6power is already working on it, your gonna have a hard time marketing anything with hipo making one.
I think that is completely wrong.

DSS is the only company making upgraded half shafts for the 03/04 cobra crowd right now and has been for a while. Their product has taken a dump lately and their level 5 shafts are breaking left and right. Now a new company is coming around with a different, better design. They will clean up and hammer DSS once they finish their testing.

Just because one company/person is making a part doesn't mean no one else can. If Scorpion has the abilities to make one, and can in fact get it tested (it won't be hard finding testers once you have something to test), all he has to do is market it. There is plenty of room for more than one version of a product. And if it is priced right, it won't be any issue.

So, I wouldn't try and shoot down someone's thoughts so quick. hell, this hipo guy could decide to bail on the project...then there would be nothing because you shot down someone else's idea.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:51 AM   #14
Road Trip!

TPS will test and market it if you come up with a design, i can also help you overcome obstacles that you may come across, my email is jarrod@tpsperformance.com ill help any way i can...we are all about innovation, im currently desighning a new bov pipe routing for kyles car that will theoretically eliminate turbo-lag.
SimplyOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 11:16 AM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

Quote:
So !!! Doesn't mean somone else can't come up with a design .Who voted hipo God, sounds like you got a case of Idolatry

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 02:32 PM   #16
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbstang View Post
So !!! Doesn't mean somone else can't come up with a design .Who voted hipo God, sounds like you got a case of Idolatry

he is just supporting his friend
Old 08-29-2008, 04:45 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I think I will be taking your advice and working on both a water to air and air to air style. However the air to air is proving somewhat difficult as I need to figure out how to get around the belt and pullies. Im thinking a plate that "tilts" front to back or vice versa with the ports on the TB side. thoughts?
Old 08-29-2008, 08:37 PM   #18
Road Trip!

the air to water will be your best bet
Old 08-30-2008, 12:56 PM   #19
Road Trip!

See that's the thing you guys don't stick around v6 forums so you have no clue who is who and who does what. Hipo has already built custom valve covers, a custom combo upper and lower intake, sells p&p heads and intakes, custom upper intakes. Have I bought ANYTHING from him? No... But his **** sells somebody else already tired to market another m112 adapter and guess what happens? Everybody knows nathan(mysteed) and matt(lilroush) in the v6 words this random other guy had to stop because nobody would buy it from him and that is a lot of R&D money lost ....
Old 09-01-2008, 12:41 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
See that's the thing you guys don't stick around v6 forums so you have no clue who is who and who does what. Hipo has already built custom valve covers, a custom combo upper and lower intake, sells p&p heads and intakes, custom upper intakes. Have I bought ANYTHING from him? No... But his **** sells somebody else already tired to market another m112 adapter and guess what happens? Everybody knows nathan(mysteed) and matt(lilroush) in the v6 words this random other guy had to stop because nobody would buy it from him and that is a lot of R&D money lost ....
hipo has good stuff.. i have his upper and lower intake .. and i cant wait for his intercooler to come out either
1994 mustang v6 vert.. Split port swap, 24# fuel injectors, SCT custom tuner, flowmaster 40's true duel, CAI w/ K&N, 1/2in. intake spacer, ASP Pullies, P&P intakes, viper remote starter & alarm,17x9 black bullitt rims(my babies)
Future Mods:4.2 stroked, auto to stick tranny swap, 3:73 gears W/ T-Loc, Cam, 1.73 Roller Rockers, P&P heads, Full Suspension(dunno what brand yet), 03Cobra Bumper w/ Fogs, custom candy paint
immenukka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:09 AM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

Quote:
I check the V6 site every day and I'm well aware of the work all are doing including Hipo !!!!!! Don't make assumption But unlike some of the other V6 sites We don't bash or tear apart someone who wants to try another approch or method.

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 01:19 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Well my current roadblock is finding a CAD program lol. I might just give up and freehand everything, so stick around it could get interesting haha.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:27 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyOrangeTPS View Post
TPS will test and market it if you come up with a design, i can also help you overcome obstacles that you may come across, my email is jarrod@tpsperformance.com ill help any way i can...we are all about innovation, im currently desighning a new bov pipe routing for kyles car that will theoretically eliminate turbo-lag.
try placing one before the IC if hes using one, it will also help with lag as it keeps the IC "filled" so you dont need to replace all the air in the larger cell as well, just the pipe up to it. One thing I found on the daytona with a few BOV setups while trying to hide it. Oh and I greatly appreciate the help. Im currently awaiting the sale of my Daytona so I can use some of the extra cash to pay for welding and materials. Any recomendation on thickness? current prototype design.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	prototype 1.JPG
Views:	611
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	19664  
Old 09-04-2008, 09:18 AM   #24
Road Trip!

I'm on my BlackBerry right now but I have unlimited access to cad programs when I get back to work, I don't believe that one person can maintain a monopoly because he was the first one to develope something, I am working on designs for things that major companies ar waiting for, its all in who you know and how you market, I doubt hippo can sell his more than a company like FRPP or BBK.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:26 AM   #25

Region: Iowa

Im building an M112 with an external water/air IC.
-Thomas
Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 11:46 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

the 4.6 has more room between the heads for the intercooler as well as its not pushrod, not sure how much room the v6 has~ it can be done but how big could the intercooler be? the m112 already wont fit under any sort of near stock hood
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 12:18 PM   #27

This is HALF of a Lightning intercooler underneath a lightning M112 on a single-port engine. As you can see there would be room for it, but the supercharger also sits VERY high. I ended up ditching this entire idea and going with a Magnuson MP112 who's case size is much more compact and versatile for custom fabrication.

-Thomas
Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 03:56 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

who says the blower has to sit ontop of the intake tract, the supercoupe M90 sure doesnt... it may sit there but it routs the air out and down to an intercooler then back up to the back of the upper intake.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 04:21 PM   #29

Yeah exactly my thoughts. Thats why I did this

and my custom made 8-rib pulley with vortech race strut. I wanted to use this becasue I have an extended hub on the shaft for a quick-change pulley. This was needed to still clear my distributor, and I wanted to prolong the supercharger and front main bearing life.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang