rebuilding engine and twin turboing - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-25-2004, 03:05 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via ICQ to tek55 Send a message via AIM to tek55 Send a message via Yahoo to tek55
rebuilding engine and twin turboing

I was wondering if someone could give me some realistic numbers. Some of my import friends offered to help me fix my mustang up w/ some at cost parts.

I'll be pretty much completely redoin the engine so it can handle an 8:1 compression ratio and twin turbo it then I'll be repiping the exhaust.

Quick question... Assuming I port and polish it, resleave it (spelling?), twin turbo it, they said they've gotten civics from stock hp to dyno at 500+ hp w/ mods... I was figuring, I could definitely pull more out of a v6 than a 4 banger, but I'm not as informed as I'd like to be in this kind of information. Anyone out there have a twin turbo set up on a stang? They want to do it then dyno it, but I wanna know what I'll be getting b4 they do it... How much gas would I expect to guzzle as opposed to a stock set up as it is now?

Also, hehe, sidenote... what do you think about repiping the exhaust so it looks like that corvette center exhaust? I like that, think it'd look nice on a stang? THanks!
tek55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2004, 03:33 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via MSN to Shahrum
I'm not knowledgable enough for the first part, but as far as getting a Vett'ish exhaust, that will be difficult because your fuel tank sits right in the back of the vehicle.
Shahrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 03:48 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

shahrum is right, you cannot pipe the exhaust like a vette. it would be too close to the fuel tank.

as for TTs. there is one guy named Justin00Stang that posts on 3.8 and v6power who had twin turbos. i think they are still for sale if im not mistaken. as for 500rwhp, he dynod and was in the high 300s i believe, but ran 11s. our cars will never see 500+rwhp IMO. i think the record is like 403rwhp held by Dan Haga. the reason for this is our outdated pushrod design. our engines are not designed to handle that much hp. the b18a civics and b16a, etc are imported and can handle a decent amount of power. they build strong over there because they know how big the mod scene is here as well as in japan

i would say, you can TT it (do all your own work, it would be really expensive to get someone else to fab up your pipes). although justin just put the TTs on a pretty much stock car (stock bottom end, no p&p, no cam) i think you could see about 425rwhp with a good cam, and full out porting with TTs. but you would need a forged bottom end with 8:1 or 8.5:1 compression.

go over to 3.8 or v6power or email him at justinv6@bellsouth.net to see if he still has it available. it would be a lot easier and possibly cheaper to buy his used setup or the one he is trying to market (trying to make kits now).

hope that helps
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2004, 09:09 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Justin did sell that kit.

And I wouldn't trust your friends in rebuilding your engine. They may know what they are doing with a DOHC 4cyl, but a pushrod v6 is a different engine.

Find someone who knows a lot about the motor, or even an enigne shop that has dealt with 5.0's as they are very similar to our engines.

1999 V6 5-speed
14.6 @ 95 w/ 2.22 60'
Wrecked
stangin99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 10:15 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

just cause its a DOHC vs a pushrod, the pistons and the crank are still made the same and still installed the same.
Old 01-25-2004, 10:46 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via ICQ to tek55 Send a message via AIM to tek55 Send a message via Yahoo to tek55
well they asked cuz they were working on a 5.0... they do imports but they own muscle cars... it's weird... i'd want to do what they do but i know it's hard to make a v6 a roaring muscle car like some of these guys chargers and novas and stuff. out of curiosity, umm, push rods.... now, is there any way I can upgrade those so it can handle the hp? Or would that be something I can't change?
tek55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 03:46 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tek55
well they asked cuz they were working on a 5.0... they do imports but they own muscle cars... it's weird... i'd want to do what they do but i know it's hard to make a v6 a roaring muscle car like some of these guys chargers and novas and stuff. out of curiosity, umm, push rods.... now, is there any way I can upgrade those so it can handle the hp? Or would that be something I can't change?
hardened pushrods can be bought, but they aren't your weakest link.

I think you need to reaserch a little more about an engine before you dive into rebuilding one

1999 V6 5-speed
14.6 @ 95 w/ 2.22 60'
Wrecked
stangin99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 04:41 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
I think you need to reaserch a little more about an engine before you dive into rebuilding one

i agree.. you have to have pushrods. its the design of the engine.
Old 01-28-2004, 12:25 AM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169
Quote:
the b18a civics and b16a, etc are imported and can handle a decent amount of power. they build strong over there because they know how big the mod scene is here as well as in japan
no they were built strong to last long for commuting. now with all the import stuff theres such a big aftermarket these cars are no longer seen as a daily driver from which they were intended to be. now you can take your moms hand me down civic and put 3 grand into it and make it run 13's.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 12:54 AM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

yes, but the block and crank and some of the pistons themselves can handle quite a bit of power. the 4g63 im looking at can handle like 500whp before forging is necessary.
Old 01-28-2004, 01:24 AM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169
uh huh anyways. the stock assembly can only handle 16lbs of boost. go to the DSM forums and see for yourself. the 500+ hp 4G63's are the big time racers whose cars are no longer daily driven. more like weekend street machines.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 10:55 AM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

thats why the 4G63 engine in the Evo handles 19psi stock?????
Old 01-29-2004, 06:46 PM   #13
Road Trip!

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Tbird232ci
19psi doesnt mean it can handle 500whp

the engines in turbo dodges have been ead to hold up to 36psi bone stock, doesnt mean it was running 76874375hp

usually, the problem with running high boost numbers is making sure you have enough fuel and NO detonation

if you really want to twin turbo, do alot of research on turbo systems, they definatly arnt a "slap it on and watch the boost gauge" kind of ordeal
Tbird232ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 07:14 PM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

i never said 19psi = 500hp. he was saying that no 4g63 engine can handle more than 16psi. i was saying the evo handles 19psi stock and makes 271bhp. but its not too difficult to get up to 500brake hp with that engine.
Old 02-05-2004, 01:38 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to v6stanger
If you are serious about this whole project then do it right the first time.

93-95 Supercoupe Block or 96+ Mustang 3.8 Block
Supercoupe Crank
Wiseco, Ross, Diamond, JE Dished Pistons
Eagle 351w Rods
Morana Stud Girdle
ALL ARP Studs
Ford MLS Gaskets
Hardened Pushrods
Clevite Bearings
Total Seal Rings
v6stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 07:52 AM   #16

Or you can just buy a V8 that will blow the crap out of the TT V6. I can get a V8 Winston cup motor complete for $5200 and has about 700hp n/a imagine the power you could make with a turbo/supercharger or even nitrous on that, crazy numbers and cheaper than doing all that to a v6.

Was a v6 enthusiast till I saw hoe much more power you can make with a V8 for cheaper. Oh yeah my father is a Super Street Outlaw racer so that helps too. lol
Old 02-10-2004, 09:06 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to v6stanger
yes since we all know how relaible the winston cup motors are for everyday driving and how far you have to rev to make peak power.

My friend put a winston cup motor in his RX7 and its defiently bad *** just not anywhere near streetable/reliable for everyday.

And you can't turbo the winston cup motor because the compression ratio is so high to achieve those excellent 700hp power figures.

Plus its not exactly a direct swap. You need to re-do just about the entire car
v6stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 11:40 AM   #18
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Or you can just buy a V8 that will blow the crap out of the TT V6.

Yea you could be like everyone else and have a fast v8. Rather try something more challenging myself

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 01:19 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to tire
Re: rebuilding engine and twin turboing

i mean no negativity when i say you shouldn't be doing anything to your car at this point. you do not know what you are talking about enough to begin such a project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tek55
Quick question... Assuming I port and polish it, resleave it (spelling?), twin turbo it, they said they've gotten civics from stock hp to dyno at 500+ hp w/ mods...
resleeving a v6? :
so you want to bore and stroke it so much you'll need that? dont' wory about that, worry about your pistons, crank, p rings, and conn rods. are your friends ricers, or the 2 import guys that are actually knowledgeable and hardcore?
tire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 12:56 PM   #20
RGR
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Send a message via AIM to RGR
Sleeving is not needed, these blocks have pretty thick walls.
If you want a really hot V6 get a supercoupe block and crank,
pro-assembly, and get combo advice from a pro who has
done this before. Lots quicker that way, but your friends need help
no matter what they have done in the past, unless it was lots of Ford
V6 work

You can do it pretty easily but the block might need poured w/Hard-Blok,
that is cheaper than sleeving and the block is better off for it. THe only
thing is that you might need an oil cooler and a bigger radiator.

400 RWHP has been exceed plenty of times, and by lots more than
3 HP too. I have 2 guys out there now that will top this easily when
they get the combo done, SSM just had a guy go nearly 450 RWHP
but they stopped the dyno @ 5500 and it could have pulled to well over 6K...
He has a Vortech and 14# of boost, still just pushing 235 cubes too. Split Port.
Mild cam. No intercooler.
Old 03-26-2004, 01:38 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahrum
I'm not knowledgable enough for the first part, but as far as getting a Vett'ish exhaust, that will be difficult because your fuel tank sits right in the back of the vehicle.
One of the Saleen packages has the exhaust setup this way so it can be done. Someone may have already chimed in with that but I am to lazy to read the whole thing.
Extreme Effects.com is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang