blown engine - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-30-2008, 12:22 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
blown engine

OK...so I finally got the heads off my car (thanks for the breaker bar advice BTW) and took it to the shop where they pointed out that on top of looking scorched, there were little pieces missing...and asked me if the pistons looked like they had little bits of melted metal in them. Come to think of it, yes they do.
So one head is completely hosed, the other could potentially be redone...but the engine itself is probably toast. [After a week of taking the car apart, I'm glad roomie suggested getting the heads checked before putting the whole thing back together and having it not work.]

So I'm looking for advice. As much as I've put into buying parts we knew we'd need to replace, it's getting a bit...illogical...impractical...more money than it'll be worth. We should probably give up but I'm too stubborn for that and I'm having fun, so...what's the next step? I'm not looking to trick the car out and spend a jillion dollars on it. I just want to get it back to the point where all we had left to do was the convertible top and the paint job.

There's a place near here that has a 117,000m engine that they'll sell me for $500, but I've no idea how much it should cost. It looks like a good deal (it's actually listed on car-part.com.)

We've tossed around the idea of putting the bigger engine in it, but I don't know what all else I'd have to replace.
shustwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2008, 12:53 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Send a message via AIM to VCS_SSSTANG
Re: blown engine

500$ for 117k?
No possible way that's way too much. You can get 50-80k 4.2L motors for that price!
VCS_SSSTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 01:21 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to SaturnMan8227

Ive done the used motor bit. It may seem like good deal, but in the end you do not know how abused the motor is. In my case i a got POS and it took a dump on me. Not very fun. If i was you I would look around for a rebuilt motor or if you want to go used make sure it was some type of warranty on it.
SaturnMan8227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2008, 11:19 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnMan8227 View Post
Ive done the used motor bit. It may seem like good deal, but in the end you do not know how abused the motor is. In my case i a got POS and it took a dump on me. Not very fun. If i was you I would look around for a rebuilt motor or if you want to go used make sure it was some type of warranty on it.
Any idea where one would go about getting a rebuilt one?
shustwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 01:11 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania

For the money, you can get a short or longblock through advanced auto most of the time. I think a longblock for my 2.2 Daytona cost around 1100 just to give you an idea on pricing. But its all new stuff and a pretty good warranty IIRC. Id call em up and get a price at the least.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:25 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to SaturnMan8227

I would google search rebuilt mustang motors

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang