Couple valvetrain questions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-06-2008, 12:27 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Ibanezplayer272 Send a message via MSN to Ibanezplayer272
Couple valvetrain questions

Hey everyone! Well 3-4 days ago my car started to spew some white smoke out of the exhaust. I instantly figured it was coolant, it started knocking real bad under light acceleration and afterwards I checked the oil and it had coolant in it. I decided it on being a head gasket blown. So I started to dig into it. Got the intakes off and I left off at getting all the rocker arms and pushrods out off of the passenger side head. When I pulled off the lower intake gasket it was shot. On my next day off I'm going to tackle the other rocker arms and pushrods and get the heads off and check the gasket. So here are the questions, other then the head bolts, is there anything else I will need to replace? Gaskets are a given. I also know I need anti-seize for the bolts and Teflon paste for the bolts that run through the coolant passages. Looks like there isn't any wear on the rocker arms and the pushrods are straight as a pin. So if anyone can shoot me any advice on top of what I already mentioned that would be great. Thanks!

2007 Windveil Blue Mustang GT
Mods : Intake, Stubby antenna
Rolls are for fat chicks
Ibanezplayer272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2008, 09:19 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to Ibanezplayer272 Send a message via MSN to Ibanezplayer272
Re: Couple valvetrain questions

Update with some pics! Me and a friend of mine are going to port and polish the intakes and heads. By the time this puppy is finished it should be a completely different motor!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0905081444.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	19666   Click image for larger version

Name:	0906080919.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	19667  

Click image for larger version

Name:	0906080948.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	19668   Click image for larger version

Name:	cp1_0906080921.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	19669  

Rolls are for fat chicks
Old 09-06-2008, 10:48 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri

The only things you should have to replace when doing a head gasket job is gaskets and head bolts. And whatever else is broken. Provided any thing else is broken. Everything else is up to you.
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2008, 11:42 AM   #4
Road Trip!

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to VCS_SSSTANG

You may want to consider camming it while your in the motor....
VCS_SSSTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 08:54 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

1234 : Awesome thanks for the info.

VCS_SSSTANG : I would but funds are holding me back. Funny because I saw my cam when I took the lower intake off and I was like mmm, its so close. haha

Rolls are for fat chicks
Old 09-06-2008, 10:40 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to Racin02GT

I would also take the heads to a machine shop to make sure they aren't warped
Racin02GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 12:48 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racin02GT View Post
+1 def a good idea
Old 09-07-2008, 02:31 AM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California

make sure all your gasket surfaces are clean. Since you have the coolant drained, might as well replace the thermostat with a 180. its cheap and easy and thats what she said.

95 GT- Sold
09 Hyundai Elantra Touring-new ride.
Looking for the next project car now
Scut95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 08:14 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Racin02GT: Ya I was planning to when I got them off. They going to charge me to look at em?

Scut95: What are the benifits? Just running cooler? Back when I had my water temp gauge on my a-pillar it never creeped past 180 and i'm pretty sure that's with the stock thermostat.

Rolls are for fat chicks
Old 09-07-2008, 10:28 AM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
What are the benifits? Just running cooler? Back when I had my water temp gauge on my a-pillar it never creeped past 180 and i'm pretty sure that's with the stock thermostat
the car will run cooler which is a good thing, and its convenient right now to do. it sounds like it might have been done already because most cars come with t-stat around 195. And to answer your other question, yes the machine shop will charge you to check them. If they do the job right, they will take a machinist straight edge and a feeler gauge and check it top to bottom, left to right, corner to corner, and around the combustion chambers. I believe the number is .005 of an inch, anything more will require them to be machined.

95 GT- Sold
Old 09-07-2008, 06:44 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scut95 View Post
the car will run cooler which is a good thing, and its convenient right now to do. it sounds like it might have been done already because most cars come with t-stat around 195. And to answer your other question, yes the machine shop will charge you to check them. If they do the job right, they will take a machinist straight edge and a feeler gauge and check it top to bottom, left to right, corner to corner, and around the combustion chambers. I believe the number is .005 of an inch, anything more will require them to be machined.

Hmph... I see. Well I got to the passenger side head and all I need is the header off to take the head off. But the driverside head, the powersteering pump needs to be removed because the bracket bolts are behind the pulley and apparently you need a special pulley "removal tool" and an "installer tool" which I have no idea where to find them. Any ideas? This is a 2000 3.8.

Rolls are for fat chicks
Old 09-07-2008, 07:43 PM   #12
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana

rent the tool from auto zoo or advanced auto,seems like you are going to do fine with the swap, only gasket match the heads and intak if you are not very expierienced with this because you can cause damage to the water passages.
SimplyOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 09:17 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Jarrod your power get turned back on yet? Or you still on your phone?
Old 09-08-2008, 12:52 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

So are you saying a normal pulley puller will work for the P/S pulley? Cause it doesn't look like it will...

Rolls are for fat chicks
Old 09-08-2008, 01:13 AM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
So are you saying a normal pulley puller will work for the P/S pulley? Cause it doesn't look like it will...
no it won't work. Auto zone or advanced auto will rent the proper tool to you though. Its worth it just to spend the little bit of money and do it.

95 GT- Sold
Old 09-08-2008, 02:08 PM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Pennsylvania
Send a message via AIM to Kiljosh

I just went and bought one from autozone, I think it was 25 bucks or so and Ive used it a couple of times so I think it was worth it. Handy little thing.

I would look real hard at the lifters, timing chain, and tensioner for the chain. If the lifters are shot just get a new set because your car will be noisy! Take it from me I had to take mine apart twice cause I cheaped out.

The chain and tensioner really would depend on your mileage but another something you don't want to have to do later. I think the manual says to have your timing chain serviced around 100k. Can't remember the exact but it is something that needs to be done.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:46 PM   #17
Road Trip!

im on my work pc now, i have electricity at home and work, i woula been ok not having it here at work being how i could just sleep all day and they wouldnt care

always go with new lifters anytime they are removed from the cam, and the cheap autozone puller works fine just be careful that you dont put too much pressure on it, ive broken several in the past, then you cuss and throw things because its a PITA to get the center bolt out after its broken....at least most people would cuss, i personally choose not to
Old 09-08-2008, 04:19 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

^^Yeah i think when that happened to you. You would need a train horn to cover up what was coming out of you rmouth.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:09 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Yea I rented one from advanced and it worked fine, the first set was stripped but the second one was brand new so I was happy. Bought the head gasket set today and the head bolts. Is there any sealent that is required for the head bolts? I know some of them run through the coolant passages. When I took them off I didn't see any teflon tape or paste but I bought the sealent already because I thought that I would need it. I'll probably just put some on anyway. The lifters look good from what I've seen. I got 120,000 miles so timing chain is a good idea like you said kiljosh. Cylinders 4 and 5 look like they are a bit lean, the valves are pretty white, where the 6th cylinder has loads of carbon on it. I believe that Cylinders 1 and 2 are also lean because the valves look the same and then the 3rd cylinder has carbon build up and on both cylinders 3 and 6 the spark plugs were fouled. I have a tune from VMP but my car wasen't on the dyno. Now this could be from the person that owned it before me and they might have always used 87 octane because on the stock tune it pinged on 87. So I ran 93 until I got the VMP SCT X-Cal 2. One of the tunes I ordered were 87 performance. So ran the tank down, filled up with 87 and no pinging. Either way once i'm finally done with the motor i'm going to bump up the fuel ratio a bit at WOT just to be safe. I would rather see black smoke then white smoke.

Rolls are for fat chicks
Old 09-09-2008, 01:44 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

If there wasnt any teflon on the head bolts when you pulled them out, you probably shouldnt put any on them.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:08 PM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy

The ones that go through the water passages need a sealant. It's a white permatex sealer, you can get it at Napa maybe advanced auto if you accidently got the wrong stuff. Use it on the ones through the water passages and squirt some oil on the other bolt threads. Torque them down to spec in the correct tightening sequence.

95 GT- Sold
Old 09-10-2008, 10:36 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The ones that go through the water passages need a sealant. It's a white permatex sealer, you can get it at Napa maybe advanced auto if you accidently got the wrong stuff. Use it on the ones through the water passages and squirt some oil on the other bolt threads. Torque them down to spec in the correct tightening sequence.
Right, I got the white permatex sealent, 2 tubes because I thought I would have to put sealent on all the head bolts. I also read in the haynes manual that the ones that go through the coolant passages need sealent on them. So good call. However on the other 4 bolts can I just put dabs of motor oil on them or does it have to be a special kind?

Rolls are for fat chicks
Old 09-10-2008, 11:05 AM   #23
Road Trip!

motor oil or assembly lube , doesent matter which one, double and triple check the torque on the bolts after you make your first round
Old 09-10-2008, 11:09 AM   #24
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1234 View Post
^^Yeah i think when that happened to you. You would need a train horn to cover up what was coming out of you rmouth.

you have no idea, when i did my motor swap i broke one off in the cobra pump taking the pulley off, then i broke another off in the gt pump putting it back on, so i got pissed and bought a brand new pump, pulley, and hose since i was so mad i cut the PS hose off of the pump with a pair of bolt cutters becuae i diidnt feel like fighting the hose connection behind the pulley, everything is fine now aparently it needed to be replaced
Old 09-10-2008, 11:14 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Nice, thats awesome.
Old 09-14-2008, 06:11 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racin02GT View Post
Well I purchased a pair off of ebay from a seller. Seller said they were taken off of a 27,000 mile motor. $200 for both + shipping, can't complain. It would of been more for a shop to look at the heads for me, i'm sure. Should be here sometime this week. I'm excited.

Quote:
make sure all your gasket surfaces are clean. Since you have the coolant drained, might as well replace the thermostat with a 180. its cheap and easy and thats what she said.
Alright well I went to go get a 180 thermostat and put it in.

Rolls are for fat chicks

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang