turbo for 2000 3.8 liter - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-06-2008, 01:02 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Send a message via Yahoo to btant
turbo for 2000 3.8 liter

anyone know were I can get a good turbo for my stang and chip..and if you know of a good shop that does good work on stangs that would be awesome too.. im coming back from afghanistan with like 41,500 and i want to have some fun..lol exhaust recomendations would be appreciated to..
btant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2008, 01:19 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Re: turbo for 2000 3.8 liter

TMA TURBO heres a links, no idea on the shop. But the exhaust id say duals pypes x-pipe and a chambered muffler. So it doesnt sound to ricey.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:22 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by btant View Post
anyone know were I can get a good turbo for my stang and chip..and if you know of a good shop that does good work on stangs that would be awesome too.. im coming back from afghanistan with like 41,500 and i want to have some fun..lol exhaust recomendations would be appreciated to..
so, what do you have done to your car? do you have a lot of money tied up into it? if not, i would just buy a newer gt or something. honestly, a complete turbo setup is gonna run around $4000-$5000. you can find complete kits at tmaturbo.com. you will end up paying a few more thousand between installing it and getting it tuned. at the end of this, you could just buy a 99-04 gt for around $10000 and have the same power. dont forget about the fuel upgrades as well.
tigerfan2771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2008, 05:53 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to SaturnMan8227

if you wanted to doa turbo go with TMA. If I was you I would supercharge the car and go with an X-Pipe and duals with either turbo mufflers or straight through design like magnaflow or borla. a chamber muffler like a flowmaster would be too restricted.
Old 09-06-2008, 06:16 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

But when you go with a non chambered muffler you sound like a ricer and you dont want to sound like a ricer. And turboing a car you have more flexibility when it comes to power output.
Old 09-06-2008, 06:24 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

thanks wasnt really sure.. I want to work on the stang but at the same time I am possibly having a son so i might have to get a new car.. how are the new stangs with car seats
Old 09-06-2008, 06:34 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Im sure they fit alot better than yours. I know my 03 is horrible to put a carseat in. It cant be any worse.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:04 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

were are the brackets at for the carseat??
Old 09-06-2008, 07:20 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

If you look at the center of the seat, they are slightly off to the side of the center of the seat in the space between the bottom and back of the seat. If i can find a pic i will post it. But when you get backk just stick your hand down there and you will feel it. My seat has a little label that points them out.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:50 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

aww sweet man thanks and that would be awesome if you could find a picture..
Old 09-07-2008, 07:54 PM   #11
Road Trip!

my sons carseat has always fit fine in my 02,

as far as the tma kit goes, we just bought a second hand kit for kyles car and i must say i am not overly impressed, poor welding and crummy craftsmanship, i will be grinding and rewelding many parts on kyles kit as it does not meet tps quality standards. i reccommend people to think twice before plugging thier kit unless they have actually bought and installed one, i will try to post before and after pics of the kit as i make the changes, it is not a non functional kit, i just think it could look better.
SimplyOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 12:23 PM   #12
Road Trip!

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to VCS_SSSTANG

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyOrangeTPS View Post
my sons carseat has always fit fine in my 02,

as far as the tma kit goes, we just bought a second hand kit for kyles car and i must say i am not overly impressed, poor welding and crummy craftsmanship, i will be grinding and rewelding many parts on kyles kit as it does not meet tps quality standards. i reccommend people to think twice before plugging thier kit unless they have actually bought and installed one, i will try to post before and after pics of the kit as i make the changes, it is not a non functional kit, i just think it could look better.
So why don't you start building turbo kits for our cars from scratch?
VCS_SSSTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 12:34 PM   #13
Road Trip!

its in the works buddy...in due time...if i would have known it was going to look the way it does, then i would have built his from scratch like we had originally planned...sorry i hurt your feelings by stating facts about a companys kit... why dont you actually do something special instead of coat tailing hippo and all the other "fast" v6s that you worship and quit being a smartass in every v6 thread i post in????
Old 09-09-2008, 12:40 PM   #14
Road Trip!

Quote:
its in the works buddy...in due time...if i would have known it was going to look the way it does, then i would have built his from scratch like we had originally planned...sorry i hurt your feelings by stating facts about a companys kit... why dont you actually do something special instead of coat tailing hippo and all the other "fast" v6s that you worship and quit being a smartass in every v6 thread i post in????

Sorry I'm not the one talking about what other peoples parts look like in the end... If i was I'm sure I would build something better to back it up. You don't hurt my feelings at all but people who talk about what other people do and don't have something better FTW!
Old 09-09-2008, 12:54 PM   #15
Road Trip!

dude, i was not talking ****, i was warning people that order tma kits of the type of quality they can expect, as we expected some decent quality for $1200 for just the piping, we though we would save the time and hassle since everybody holds thier product so high... either way whether you like it or not, its not what people make it out to be, i can say it is a crummy product without having one of my own, you better hope you never dislike a product and post about it or im gonna crawl up your *** sideways about it...to be honest with you, if i had a v6, i would stay N/A before putting something that looks like that on my car which is why im going to pretty it up for kyles car...

why dont you actually create or build something instead of cruising this site and acting like a pessimistic little prick telling people what they can cant develope and what opinion they can and cannot have, i have done more custom fab work and design than you have even seen much less accomplished so id apreciate it if you would get off my nuts...

and get a tool to remove your foot from your mouth when the TPS turbo kit is on the market.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:58 PM   #16
Road Trip!

Quote:
dude, i was not talking ****, i was warning people that order tma kits of the type of quality they can expect, as we expected some decent quality for $1200 for just the piping, we though we would save the time and hassle since everybody holds thier product so high... either way whether you like it or not, its not what people make it out to be, i can say it is a crummy product without having one of my own, you better hope you never dislike a product and post about it or im gonna crawl up your *** sideways about it...to be honest with you, if i had a v6, i would stay N/A before putting something that looks like that on my car which is why im going to pretty it up for kyles car...

why dont you actually create or build something instead of cruising this site and acting like a pessimistic little prick telling people what they can cant develope and what opinion they can and cannot have, i have done more custom fab work and design than you have even seen much less accomplished so id apreciate it if you would get off my nuts...

and get a tool to remove your foot from your mouth when the TPS turbo kit is on the market.
Mechanical Engineering isn't my field, its computer science... But I'm not the one talking down on other peoples products so I don't have to worry about needing to build something to prove myself now do i? But andy(tma) is going to stop building kits as I think he has a job now doing graphical design so somebody needs to pick up the ball...
Old 09-09-2008, 01:05 PM   #17
Road Trip!

Well after we get tps up and going and get a break from the customer cars, we will develope a kit, I guess nobody is allowed to comment on a product they purchased because they aren't personally making anything better, that's kind of a funny view of things
Old 09-09-2008, 01:09 PM   #18
Road Trip!

Quote:
Well after we get tps up and going and get a break from the customer cars, we will develope a kit, I guess nobody is allowed to comment on a product they purchased because they aren't personally making anything better, that's kind of a funny view of things
Nobody said that...

But did you get his first turbo kit attempt? Because the kits I've seen looked good. Pics !!!
Old 09-09-2008, 01:31 PM   #19

Region: Ohio

Is there anything else out there other than the TMA website? I've been looking all day, but haven't had much success. I'm looking for a turbo kit as well... Thanks!
amowry01V6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 02:40 PM   #20
Road Trip!

Nope TMA TURBO is the only place but he said he is done making kits...

PTK & PMP tried to make turbo kits but they didn't get very far .... So either vortech - procharger - m112 or wait for TPS
Old 09-09-2008, 03:12 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

thanks for all the help guys you've been awesome..
Old 09-10-2008, 07:36 AM   #22
Road Trip!

im probably going to let kyle borrow one of my cars and just build a kit for his from scratch, the tma kit i have has welds where it could just be mandral bent, and every weld on it is not as pretty as i would like(coming from a welder) its not a functionality problem, just an appearance issue, i like for my stuff to look as good as it performs.the cold side piping looks fine, its the hot side im not crazy about.

just looked at the tma instruction page, i have the same kit..look at the welds, the kits that look good on there have been ground and painted to hide some of the welds
Old 09-10-2008, 12:27 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Send a message via MSN to rydog

Lets see some pics cause mine were nice and clean when i got em, wierd

97 V6-GT40 turbo-42#rs-BA2800 MAF-4.10's & tlok-254rwhp-369rwtq
Turbo'd by-TMA Turbo(http://www.tmaturbo.com/)
Tuned by-Dyno Tuned Performance(http://www.dtpracing.com/)
rydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 01:20 PM   #24
Road Trip!

lemme take some when i get around them again, look at the website though, some of those arent even nice welds
Old 09-10-2008, 01:26 PM   #25
Road Trip!

this is right off of the site, but painted, kyles cam in bare metal.those at least look decent under paint, but look in the y of the first pic, that is nowhere near a nice weld
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2into1.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	19673   Click image for larger version

Name:	acarea.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	335.9 KB
ID:	19674  

Click image for larger version

Name:	OilDrainHole.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	305.4 KB
ID:	19675   Click image for larger version

Name:	turboheadercrossover.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	19676  

Old 09-10-2008, 01:51 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

That just makes it look cheap.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:25 PM   #27
Road Trip!

flawless welds???? are you blind???im looking at garbage welds right now on your kit... im not biased, it was my idea to order the kit from them, then was dissapointed

that manifold in the second pic, you think it could have a few more sections pieced in there??/ why not mandral bend that into one piece? your tma manifolds look way better than the ones ive been looking at for sure but those welds are nowhere near flawless and your wastegate location is much better than the kit at our shop.although your kit does look better than the one i recieved, its not flawless but i would have been much happier with that then what im working with.and wtf is up with the spot welds to hold the boots on? most kits have a ribb rolled in the pipe, install a granatelli, turbonetics, or hellion kit and look at the quality...it puts tma to shame, dont call me biased because i have installed a variety of kits and am unhappy with one.compared to the rest it really is crummy.....i dont suppose you are biased considering it is the ONLY turbo kit you have ever installed?????

how much of that spraypaint has peeled off so far??
Old 09-16-2008, 12:40 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to SaturnMan8227

man after looking at all those pictures i would have to say the TMA kit look poorly made. there's a million welds. looks like real nasty hack job. Makes me glade i am going pro charger.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:50 PM   #29
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnMan8227 View Post
man after looking at all those pictures i would have to say the TMA kit look poorly made. there's a million welds. looks like real nasty hack job. Makes me glade i am going pro charger.
thank you so much for your observations...for a while i though i was the only one seeing this.. i though about going to an eye doctor.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:41 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

welds like were first posted look horrible, sanding them down and powder coating the pipe would be a MUST for me... but I like perfection. I am sure they function fine... but I want my stuff to look good and perform good.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 01:58 PM   #31
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to DarkShadow

I sport a TMA kit and have by no means said they look good. However, I didn't and still don't have access to tools to clean them up. Once I start Phase 2 for the pony...that is all getting fixed. It bothers me, the kit is entirely functional...but it still bothers me.
Old 09-16-2008, 02:17 PM   #32
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

Quote:
flawless welds???? are you blind???im looking at garbage welds right now on your kit... im not biased, it was my idea to order the kit from them, then was dissapointed

that manifold in the second pic, you think it could have a few more sections pieced in there??/ why not mandral bend that into one piece? your tma manifolds look way better than the ones ive been looking at for sure but those welds are nowhere near flawless and your wastegate location is much better than the kit at our shop.although your kit does look better than the one i recieved, its not flawless but i would have been much happier with that then what im working with.and wtf is up with the spot welds to hold the boots on? most kits have a ribb rolled in the pipe, install a granatelli, turbonetics, or hellion kit and look at the quality...it puts tma to shame, dont call me biased because i have installed a variety of kits and am unhappy with one.compared to the rest it really is crummy.....i dont suppose you are biased considering it is the ONLY turbo kit you have ever installed?????

how much of that spraypaint has peeled off so far??
I welded for 7 years !!!!! I would have gotten my *** laughed off the work site for that bubble gum mess

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:28 PM   #33
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnMan8227 View Post
I think I'll take the welds over being slower
Old 09-17-2008, 04:22 AM   #34
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to modular2valve Send a message via Yahoo to modular2valve

that mach one/ v6 turbo comparison, is that v6 twin turboed or has a upgraded bottom end? im not bashing the hp numbers but i dont see a v6 reaching the mach one's power level at almost the identical boost being that the mach one has a more efficient motor. just curious

96 GT- Who knows what's in it.
modular2valve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 07:38 AM   #35
Road Trip!

i agree the kit is totally functional, i just know there are lots of ocd people out there that would have a problem with it so i brought attention to it, kyle noticed that at first glance, when i drop a chunk of change i like to open the box and feel happy about the upgrade, it sucks opening the box and second guessing yourself...also i like to build fast cars with show stopping appearance, i will never own a 8 sec car that is rigged like others ive seen, if i can afford to go 8's then im sure i can afford to do it cleanly

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang