Zex vs. NX - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-10-2004, 04:39 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via MSN to Shahrum
Zex vs. NX

Many of you already know my next few planned mods for my car... but for those that don't here they are (in order)

- OEM Ford SVT 10th Aniversary Cobra 17x9 Wheels in Gunmetal w/ tires
- Steeda Sport Springs
- Saleen S281 Spoiler
- Invader Side Skirts (the ones that came w/ my kit)
- Interior repainting
- nawwwssss!

Ok... so everyone seems to be hating on Zex, but I went into a shop last weekend that was preaching them. And these people were quite knowledgable, not to mention their company sold products from both NX and Zex, as well as the Venom kit -- so it's not like they were trying to sell me one particular brand. Oh, and let me add in that I spoke with two owners of Roush mustangs

I've also done a fair bit of research online. Zex has a much cleaner installation and is definately less visible since they have designed a special unit which contains many of the pieces which the NX kit has installed separately.

Here's links to both kits:

NX Ford Stage 1 Kit
Zex Ford Wet Nitrous Kit

Both are wet nitrous kits and will allow me adjustable sprays varying from 30-125. Although since I have no previous nitrous experience, I plan on running a 50 shot till I'm confident enough, and then eventually run 75 shots.

Why nitrous? Why not! Not only will it cost the less, but this is also something I can install. It's the easiest way for me to add power into my car for many reasons. Not only is it cheaper than buying a supercharger and having it installed, or buying gears and having them installed, but I'll be able to get this now, instead of waiting and saving up for something that might produce similar results. Not to mention, things like gears I definately plan on doing, but this is something I can get done now, the rest can wait till later!

Basically the point of this thread is to get some more feedback on the two kits. I know there are a lot of opinionated people out there who will jump on Zex by calling it a ricer/import brand, but when it comes down to facts, both kits are practically the same -- performance and usage wise. I'd really like some genuine unbiased input on this, but any input (in the end) will be appreciated. Thank you.
Shahrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2004, 05:15 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to tire
I don't know why a store that carries both NX and ZEX would prefer ZEX. That's, well, wierd. ZEX has quality issues early on with splitting of their braided steel hoses and cracking of their jets... which would lead to about a 500 or more shot of nitrous... kaboom. I'm sure they have been addressed and corrected. ZEX hp ratings are not accurate (some say off by approx. 60%) and don't hit nearly as hard as an NX or NOS. I have NX but haven't used it much. I hate to say it, but get on the bandwagon. The guys that endorse NX are knowledgeable car guys. I haven't heard anyone, ever, speak good things about ZEX.
tire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 05:35 PM   #3
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I say go with NX.... purple and letting the computer spray just dont set well with me lol

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2004, 06:27 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

NX has a computer module as well which controls the spray. So as far as how both are used, they are used the same way. Flick on a switch, and go WOT, and the nitrous sprays itself within a select RPM range. Please correct me if I'm wrong on that, but I've read NX works that way as well. I'll go with NX if it does indeed work this same way... I just don't wanna kill my car and I want something easy to operate. ZEX was appealing because of the ease of use (floor it and it kicks it), so if NX is the same way, I'll go NX.
Old 02-10-2004, 06:44 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Nitrous is nitrous. Zex has the computer modules and the cleaner installs and stuff to make it all in one little box. that is nice. i believe that helps and will ease the install. however, the box contains a window switch. something i dont think you need on an auto. i am pretty sure that you can just not use it, but then it takes away from the whole "floor it and it turns itself on." Zex has been an up and coming brand for a while now. It is mainly geared towards the import scene right now, but like i said, nitrous is nitrous. Zex's shots can be rated at the wheels or at the crank. not 100% reliable

NX is a good too. the install is really straight forward. the only things you install are the WOT swtich, the two solenoids, (a purge if you want it), and the wires. you can make it clean if you want. its not hard. NX has a lifetime guarentee on its solenoids and hoses. That is a benefit i like. NX's shots are rated at the wheels, which is a nice benefit. you can get a window switch for NX and then you get the "floor it and it shoots" feeling. you will need a tach adapter for either window switch though

all in all, go with which one ever makes you happy or you can get a good price on. personally i would at least choose the NX solenoids because of their lifetime guarentee. Just remember, most nitrous parts are interchangable with other brand's parts. i even had some NOS products on my setup. so if you want a little from column A and a little from column B, go for it.
Old 02-11-2004, 10:04 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I guess my only concern was how the nitrous is actually used. How is the stock NX kit used? I know Zex works by turning on the system, and then by going WOT. How does the standard NX system work?

Thanks a lot Monkey for your very information reply (and that great article you wrote!) :thumbsup:
Old 02-11-2004, 10:53 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to tire
NX: arm with a toggle ("light switch) and a WOT button.
tire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 10:54 AM   #8
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahrum
I guess my only concern was how the nitrous is actually used. How is the stock NX kit used? I know Zex works by turning on the system, and then by going WOT. How does the standard NX system work?

Thanks a lot Monkey for your very information reply (and that great article you wrote!) :thumbsup:
With the NX kit, there is a WOT switch that you install either under your gas pedal or in your engine compartment where the throttle cable attaches to the throttle body. When you floor it, this swith is essentially "turned on." Nitrous isnt used like they portray it in the movies with just a standard setup. Yeah, you can set it up so that youre always pushing a button when you want the nitrous to spray, but its just more work. The way I have mine set up is like this: My Wide Open Throttle (WOT) switch is located in my engine compartment right here

If that thing is not depressed all the way, then the nitrous system wont work period. (its a safety thing that makes sure your car is under full accelleration) Then inside my car i have a toggle switch that when i turn on, the nitrous starts spraying and will keep spraying as long as the pedal is floored and i have that toggle switch armed. Those are the only two "switches" that are involved in feeding my car any nitrous. Basically, i just have to watch my RPMs and make sure that when i start spraying im in a safe RPM range. I would highly recommend NX... my kit works great and it really was pretty easy installing (i didnt even have good instructions) Just my 2 cents

psst... id like to thank monkey for teaching me almost everything i know about nitrous

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 10:56 AM   #9
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

oh yeah, its easier to find a used cheaper nx kit then a zex kit

I like toys
Old 02-11-2004, 11:07 AM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

like Mike said - with the NX kit, you turn on a switch to arm the system. then you can floor it and it will spray automatically.

to answer how nitrous is actually used, its mainly electrical. the open nitrous bottle flows the gas to the solenoid. it is stopped there until the solenoid opens. from there it runs into the intake. to get an idea of how the solenoids open, you have to give it electrical power. however, the WOT switch opens the circuit until you are at WOT or it is closed. this allows the electrical circuit to flow to the solenoid allowing them to open. thats the way nitrous works on both nx and zex. (if thats what you were asking)
Old 02-12-2004, 08:43 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to v6stanger
Nitrous Express no question.
v6stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 08:57 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

v6stanger, what other mods have you done to your car to get it running 13.42? That's not just the nitrous is it? That's one crazy fast v6 Nice man.
Old 02-12-2004, 12:20 PM   #13
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

shahrum go to that website in his sig and check out his car... his names Zach... hes done more then just the nitrous... ive got his nitrous kit now though

I like toys
Old 02-12-2004, 03:29 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Ok... since NX and ZEX work the same way and will both be easy for me, I'm going to go with NX. Thanks guys for the great input and help.

Do you all recommend any specific stores to order from?

Also, will I be fine w/o getting a purge valve? What exactly does this do and what are the downsides of not having one? Thank you.

P.S. Basically I need the kit, new sparkplugs, and a bottle warmer. Anything else?
Old 02-12-2004, 06:11 PM   #15
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

there are no downsides to a purge... what it does is this: When you open the valve to your nitrous bottle the nitrous will fill the line however there will be some air that gets trapped between that nitrous and the solenoid, so the purge valve shoots that air out so that as soon as you arm your nitrous, there is no delay in it giving you the power. that make sense?

I like toys
Old 02-12-2004, 06:18 PM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

purge is a plus, but i would just get the kit and a bottle warmer and the .035" autolite 764 copper plugs. purge is $100 and if youre trying to save money, you can just put it in neutral and floor it and arm it to purge the line.

justin00stang on 3.8 and v6p is an authorized dealer and has great prices
Old 02-12-2004, 07:43 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, I meant downside of not having the purge, but apparently I can get arround that for now. Thanks guys!
Old 02-12-2004, 08:03 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Why does NX have such crappy looking bottles?
Laser02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 09:02 PM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

doesnt matter. you can get any bottle you want. you can buy the kit w/o the bottle if you want a chrome zex bottle or something.
Old 02-12-2004, 09:05 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Oh really.... I did not know this. That is what has kept me from getting nitrous in the past. The NX bottle. I know, I know.. I'm very vain. And a ricer. Sorry.
Old 02-12-2004, 09:12 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

... :
Old 02-12-2004, 09:17 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahrum
... :
What? Would you want this going in your car? It looks so cheap and tacky.

Old 02-12-2004, 09:32 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

I just can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not... that's all heh.

You'd prefer this huh?

Old 02-12-2004, 09:38 PM   #24
Regular

Region: Tennessee
the bottle not the kit is what he is saying I think

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 09:47 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, I see. Even if the Zex bottle is purple, it still looks better imo, chrome valve, etc. And if you get the chrome bottle... bling blang!
Old 02-12-2004, 10:29 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

I do like Zex's bottles better. The chrome or purple look good. So would black. The white just doesn't do it for me. If NX had a chrome bottle I would have been all over it.
Old 02-12-2004, 11:01 PM   #27
Legacy Member
Legacy

the label is usually covered up by the bottle heater so you dotn see that. you can get the white or purple or whatever bottle powder coated whatever color you want. NX does have a composite bottle that is almost like a carbon fiber looking bottle. it is very light too.

you could just get the NX kit and have it painted to match your car or same with zex. just search ebay for "nitrous bottle" and you will find all sorts of billit brackets, NOS, edlebrock's silver/gray, NX, zex, venom, etc bottles on there. you can customize the bottle and brackets however you want. theyre all interchangable. same AN fitting for the nozzle and same size

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang