5.0 TB conversion how to? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-17-2004, 05:55 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via ICQ to TheSarge Send a message via AIM to TheSarge Send a message via Yahoo to TheSarge
5.0 TB conversion how to?

Oes anyone out there have a site or set pf instructions to do this mod? I have both TB's with their linkages out and wondering what I need to do next to get this done. I will be swapping heads/p&p upper lower and new cam in about three weeks and would like to get this done..
Also, anyone have the wiring conversion for 98 to 91 TPS?

SEMPER FI!!
TheSarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2004, 09:59 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to NavyStang05
Don't know about this one, but I want to do it, and I just wanted to say oorah and Semper Fi
NavyStang05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 11:07 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Rick0636 Send a message via Yahoo to Rick0636
Flex used to sell a kit to do that conversion, but not sure what became of him, think he has been kinda scarce for a while now. Corey has a 5.0 tbody on his, he might be able to fill you in. Danger Dude that is.
Rick Kilpatrick, AAS Automotive Systems Tech, Alamance Community College, Class of 99. 06 5 speed manual Mustang with Pony pkg : GT Mac Mufflers, true duals with one custom pipe. 2.5" system. GT bumper cover, all installed March 7&8 2006. AFE Stage 1 CAI, Motoblue Underdrive pulley, GT aluminum shifter knob, honeycomb rear blackout panel,and dash kit installed. Roush hood scoop and side window louvers installed. SS taillight trim has been installed, new alum. GT steering wheel installed.
Rick0636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2004, 09:54 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
Actually Flex got burned out having to defend his spacers from the unslaught of personal attacks from another sites, nazi self proclaimed gurus!!!

I email him from time to time. you might try contacting him. He might help you out!! His name is Branko, He is a terrific guy.

now my 60 MM T/B is modified with the holes elongated to accept the stock stud setup!!!. I also modified my harness by using a 5.0 harness and a extra 3.8 harness. But Robert RGR knows the stock number to a factory adapter.

I hope that helps you.
Old 02-18-2004, 06:37 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Rick0636 Send a message via Yahoo to Rick0636
Oh, everyone knows that those people are the absolute authority on Mustangs, just ask Sean, I mean that guy had a freakin' fit when he was afraid I might scare one of his recruits from there off and he might loose him as a moderator, he didn't need me, I had only been moderating most of his tech forums for over 2 years for like 12 hours plus a day, what good was I to him?
Rick Kilpatrick, AAS Automotive Systems Tech, Alamance Community College, Class of 99. 06 5 speed manual Mustang with Pony pkg : GT Mac Mufflers, true duals with one custom pipe. 2.5" system. GT bumper cover, all installed March 7&8 2006. AFE Stage 1 CAI, Motoblue Underdrive pulley, GT aluminum shifter knob, honeycomb rear blackout panel,and dash kit installed. Roush hood scoop and side window louvers installed. SS taillight trim has been installed, new alum. GT steering wheel installed.
Rick0636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 08:53 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to v6stanger
No reason to argue about something in the past guys.

Can't we all just get along

Zach
v6stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 08:03 AM   #7
RGR
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Send a message via AIM to RGR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Dude
Actually Flex got burned out having to defend his spacers from the unslaught of personal attacks from another sites, nazi self proclaimed gurus!!!

I email him from time to time. you might try contacting him. He might help you out!! His name is Branko, He is a terrific guy.

now my 60 MM T/B is modified with the holes elongated to accept the stock stud setup!!!. I also modified my harness by using a 5.0 harness and a extra 3.8 harness. But Robert RGR knows the stock number to a factory adapter.

I hope that helps you.
Here's my text document for doing the swap/conversion!

FORD Part # M-9989-A1 converts V6 TPS plug to 5.0 TB's!!! (no splicing of wires) Supposedly this works...

1. Re-drill bolt pattern for V6 TB pattern (a gasket helps alot)
2. hack off MOST of the throttle arm, leaving the return spring portion,
the shape will resemble a diamond.
3. grind the remaining surface FLAT.
4. weld on MOST of the 3.8 throttle arm, less the return spring portion, just reuse the part the throttle cable hooks to.
5. making the crossover tube larger is a MUST and a big job! 54-55mm at least... that matches the flow rating of the 60mm TB (remember, no shaft to block airflow) The crossover tube must be tapered to 60mm @ the TB.
6. Re-use your 3.8 IAC (idle bypass motor)
7. SPLICE in the 5.0 TPS to your 3.8 wiring harness. The 3.8 TPS is "clocked" 90* off from the 5.0 TPS... and does not bolt on to the
5.0 TB. Use the wiring chart below.

Other than that, it is a "simple bolt-on!" (haha)

60mm is also the practical limit for the 3.8 Upper, the "choke point" can only flow about 550 CFM and the 5.0 TB is rated by FORD to flow 535-540 CFM. However you can weld the exterior of a crossover tube and port it
even more, figure about 2 to 4mm smaller being the minimum size for a
given TB. (65mm would need 61 to 63mm, etc.)

5.0 TPS to 3.8 wiring harness wiring schematic: (for use without the Ford adapter)

5.0 TPS colors.................goes to..................3.8 harness

Green/Green..............................................Gray/White
Black/White..............................................Gray/Red
Orange/White.............................................Brown/White

base color/tracer (stripe) color
**** Note! Not all 5.0 TPS's have the tracer color, but it is listed
for those that do.****

When cutting the 3.8 harness wires, leave enough wire on the plug to reinstall it in the future
if the car is ever returned to stock condition. Use butt splices and shrink wrap to connect wires.

Hope this helps Sarge!

BTW, U still buying those heads?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang