engine rebuild - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-18-2004, 01:49 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to tire
engine rebuild

i will be getting a backup shortblock so i can test the roots blower with confidence. later this week i may pick it up and i want to basically play mechanic with it and rebuild it. where is a good how-to site for a rebuild, or can someone guide me? it is unfortunate but i have little exposure to this stuff except what i persue. the only motorheads i know are on the phone consulting about our project.

if i can find heads and intake for cheap or free i'd like to get it in "ready" mode should my stock motor go kaput. then i can just bolt the acces. on and drop it in.

i know i need to invest in an inch-lbs tq wrench, but what else? an engine stand is neccessary i'd guess? (i guess i could squat on the ground )

btw it's a '94 v6 shortblock with 80k miles on it.

thanks.
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2004, 03:14 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to NavyStang05
Get yourself a Chilton's Repair manual for the 94-89 stang. Tells you how to disassemble every part of the car, including the entire engine. Most of the pictures are of v-8's, but it gives the specs for v6, gt and cobra. good luck, and we're all lookin forward to the roots blower kits. Rock on man
NavyStang05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 03:16 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to NavyStang05
also, for parts you need, go to www.stangparts.com
NavyStang05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2004, 03:29 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

thanks navystang, i already got a chiltons for 94-98.

i want to be "one" with the motor, i'll post pics of my "unique" transportation of the shortblock.
tire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 04:07 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

i got $5 says Austin gets the heads off and then either loses a part, or gets further into the engine and breaks a rod or crank seal
Old 02-18-2004, 06:47 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Rick0636 Send a message via Yahoo to Rick0636
I am a little confused Austin, why are you building a 94 model single port engine for your 99+ car?
Rick Kilpatrick, AAS Automotive Systems Tech, Alamance Community College, Class of 99. 06 5 speed manual Mustang with Pony pkg : GT Mac Mufflers, true duals with one custom pipe. 2.5" system. GT bumper cover, all installed March 7&8 2006. AFE Stage 1 CAI, Motoblue Underdrive pulley, GT aluminum shifter knob, honeycomb rear blackout panel,and dash kit installed. Roush hood scoop and side window louvers installed. SS taillight trim has been installed, new alum. GT steering wheel installed.
Rick0636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 07:25 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

its just a shortblock, which means no heads/intake. i need a backup motor in case the roots blower crap decides to port my piston or fubar something else up. if i don't find more heads/intake i would just put the splitport heads/intake from my '00 motor and fuel rail onto the old one.
Old 02-18-2004, 07:34 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Send a message via Yahoo to plstktnkr2
tools needed:
1 complete metric and SAE socket set
Ft Lb torque wrench
asst feeler guages both flat and wire (for plugs)
rubber mallet, hammer, wrenches(SAE and metric), torx bits (for some ford headbolts)
engine stand
engine picker (to install)
assembly lube,cam lube, silicone(both blue and copper)
and a torque to yeild dial(degree wheel)

That should get you pretty well there
rick
1985 Lincoln Town Car Hearse
Local "10-hole Mafia" Don
member of the "Anti-Cowl" club
plstktnkr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 08:42 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

I doubt there are any SAE bolts in the 3.8, but then again, anything is possible. I went pretty far into mine and never found anything but metrics there.
Rick Kilpatrick, AAS Automotive Systems Tech, Alamance Community College, Class of 99. 06 5 speed manual Mustang with Pony pkg : GT Mac Mufflers, true duals with one custom pipe. 2.5" system. GT bumper cover, all installed March 7&8 2006. AFE Stage 1 CAI, Motoblue Underdrive pulley, GT aluminum shifter knob, honeycomb rear blackout panel,and dash kit installed. Roush hood scoop and side window louvers installed. SS taillight trim has been installed, new alum. GT steering wheel installed.
Old 02-20-2004, 01:17 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

here is my goal:

1) to get it running, and well
2) to improve performance WHERE CONVENIENT (aka where i can do it myself and cheaply)

i have:

'94:
shortblock needing new pistons, rods are good to go, cam good, all of that intact
u/l intakes
one good head (other one was ****ty and threw away)
crank pulley, water pump pulley, water pump, harmonic balancer
misc. stuff i don't know what it is.

should i take the shortblock apart first and have someone look at it and inspect it? what do they measure, warpage of cyl walls, thickness of cyl walls, or what?
Old 02-20-2004, 12:28 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Check for out of round, see whether it can be corrected with an overbore, how much overbore to correct, etc. If you are going to use this with the SC blower you might want to get dished low compression pistons? SC crank maybe, just my thoughts?
Old 02-20-2004, 12:32 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

yeah, an SC or a 4.2l crank. i will tear it apart this week and see how it looks. honestly, i'm not sure what to look for, but i know for a fact that the rods are good. they are beefier supposedly in 94-95 than 96+, but i'd want to go with forged 351w rods anyways. i'm sure i can sell these.
Old 02-27-2004, 07:54 AM   #13
RGR
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Send a message via AIM to RGR
I have 4.2 and SC cranks here now, not cheap but
the good stuff never is! I am deciding on my engine size
and I may go big bore stock stroke...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang