Better Investment? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-18-2004, 03:37 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via MSN to Shahrum
Better Investment?

For those who don't already know, I just received a promotion at work and am now making $18 an hour instead of $15. I talked to my mom a bit and she agreed to help get me a loan now that I have the money to be able to pay for it. I'm looking at getting a 4k dollar loan -- which I wanted to a while ago to pay for a supercharger and installation. But now that all of this news about the Venom kit is going arround, I was wondering what would be the better investment. I know I want to have my supercharger professionally installed by a local shop called SpringfieldMotorsport.com. They'll do everything for $3300 including tuning and dyno. But what will the venom kit cost including rough install and will I receive as noticable of gains?

If this loan really does go thru, I'm going to forget about nitrous completely. I'd much rather prefer a constant 85 hp from a Vortec than a 75 shot from an NX. heh
Shahrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2004, 04:03 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

the venom kit will give you about 60rwhp with a good tune. (20 - cam, 20-heads, ~15-20 intakes). but youre looking at about $1000 for the install. i got quoted $800 for labor on installing a cam one time. its because so much of the engine has to be disassembled.

personally, i would get the vortech. you will see more gains, and then if you want more hp, just spend $60 and get a new pulley. the MAF will be calibrated for any pulley, so just put the 12psi one on, and run that. then later down the road, get the Vortec after-cooler.
Old 02-18-2004, 04:07 PM   #3
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Well your going to make better use of that supercharger with the venom kit.

If it was me I would do the venom kit first.

When I build my engine I am doing it right. Screw instant power i want the best possible results regardless of time. Thats why supercharger is last on my list.

Its all what you really want in the end.

I would go with a Head | Cam | Intakes | Forged Pistons and stroke it to 4.2l

Then add a supercharger

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2004, 04:08 PM   #4
Regular

But I am going all out on my engine so it just depends how far you want yours to go

Reddit
Old 02-18-2004, 04:35 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Too bad I've already done so much modification to my car already. The ideal option would be sell the 99 and go out and get an 04 Mach 1 (and ask the parents very nicely to pay v8 insurrance!!!)
Old 02-18-2004, 04:36 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

But no... I'd never get rid of my car after all of the work that's been done to it now.
Old 02-18-2004, 04:39 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Edit: Ok... just kidding about a Mach 1... just realized they're 30g's new lol
Old 02-18-2004, 04:42 PM   #8
Regular

haha

Reddit
Old 02-18-2004, 04:43 PM   #9
Regular

So what do you want from your car???

My Goal is to build my car up as much as I can NA and still be street drivable.

Then Supercahrger it tune it and get 400 to the wheels

Reddit
Old 02-18-2004, 07:56 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
This is the dumbest idea I've heard in a long time. Taking out a loan to pay for a mod??? Give me a break. You are devalueing your car AND paying a premium for it.

If you make $18/hr you could save and have it in two months.
Laser02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 08:27 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to NavyStang05
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laser02
This is the dumbest idea I've heard in a long time. Taking out a loan to pay for a mod??? Give me a break. You are devalueing your car AND paying a premium for it.

If you make $18/hr you could save and have it in two months.
muthafvckin' :werd: Just save up, a loan for a mod is not a smart thing to do. Bide your time, work some overtime, its much better to be spending YOUR money than a bank's
NavyStang05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 08:29 PM   #12

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to 01mineralgrey6
I would just wait, and save. You've gone this long with out a blower whats a few more months?Just my .02cents
Old 02-18-2004, 10:10 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

The question isn't how to pay for it - although you're all right, financing a mod is simply unwise - the question was one of comparing the overall cost/benefit ratio between the 2 options - supercharger or the venom kit.

Based on an assumption of 60 ponies out of the venom kit or roughly 85 or so from a supercharger, and assuming the overall installed cost is comparable... sounds like the you have a decision to make... short term, instant gratification and a few more ponies from a charger or long-term strength and a little less power (until more mods are the made in the future)?

I think most people are looking for instant gratification and the ability to add power quick and cheap. That being the case, you're probably a good candidate for a supercharger.

If, however, you're into this for the long haul - meaning you're willing to wait for more power later, then doing the cam and bottom end stuff is the smarter choice.

The reality is, either way you'll be temporarliy content. Ask anyone that's been doing this long enough and they'll tell you about the law of diminishing returns - the more you get, the more you want. Do the supercharger now and the rest later (most likely after you blow it up) or build the foundation now and add the boost later. Either way, you'll end up doing it all if you're really into it.

Or, you'll do what I'm doing - scrap it all and buy a vette.
Mac CAI
Powerslot Rotors / Hawk Pads
Steeda Sport Springs
Steeda CC plates
Steeda HD rear sway bar
17x9 Bullets
Nitto 555s (275 rear, 245 front)
ericstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 12:29 AM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Rick0636 Send a message via Yahoo to Rick0636
Won't catch me driving around in any fiberglass misguided missle, mine at least has a little bit of metal in the body, lol I would recommend the route that Brent has said to go, build the engine up first, with the venom kit and forged , dished pistons, stroke it to 4.2L maybe over sized valves, what ever you want, then if you want even more, go for an intercooled supercharger when the engine can take it. Then let me know which way you are going so I will know to get my GT out of the way, lol.
Rick Kilpatrick, AAS Automotive Systems Tech, Alamance Community College, Class of 99. 06 5 speed manual Mustang with Pony pkg : GT Mac Mufflers, true duals with one custom pipe. 2.5" system. GT bumper cover, all installed March 7&8 2006. AFE Stage 1 CAI, Motoblue Underdrive pulley, GT aluminum shifter knob, honeycomb rear blackout panel,and dash kit installed. Roush hood scoop and side window louvers installed. SS taillight trim has been installed, new alum. GT steering wheel installed.
Rick0636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 09:09 AM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

i still say the supercharger now. you can run 9-12psi on a vortech stock and yes it would be nice to build the engine first, but why not add 80whp instead of just about 55-60. you can get the venom pack later down the line if you want. it all depends on how fast you wanna go.

it will cost you about $5k to build up the engine first, plus install. (forged bottom end is expensive) then, would you have the money afterwards for a blower? you wont get any hp from forging the pistons or anything. go with the blower now
Old 02-19-2004, 10:26 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

First off before everyone jumps down my back and asks me to save save save... I'm a 17-yr-old high school senior who works 12 hours a week tops because I work 30 minutes away from my house and it takes me another hour in the evenings just to commute during rushhour. I basically get $600 a month at this point (after taxes). That's two paychecks a month (bi-weekly). My carpayment that I pay for is $285 a month, and then that leaves me with about $300 spending money. That $300 has to be allocated for gas and any other random things. At this point, if I want a $3500 (installed) supercharger, at $300 a month... well, $200 a month (putting $100 away for gas, etc.) I'll have to wait 17.5 months (give or take). So... hmm... Maybe if I was working full time I cold afford it in a month, but at this point, I'd rather get it this year than in 2.
Old 02-19-2004, 10:45 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

for one, the venom kit isnt even out for singleport, let alone splitport.

Why not just talk to SSM, RGR, or Mik and have them get you parts right away.

Second, if you take out aloan, you wont be able ot mod for the next 2+ years. you'll always be in debt, and at 17, thats kinda dumb.

I say, piece together a N/A monster(what Im doing). Save up for a little, and do the hardest first (cam/heads). Then get intakes down the road, a tune, gears blah blah blah.

The stock bottom end can take about 11psi intercooled if you have a good tune, for a LONG time. I say get it as high N/A as you can, then add 9psi too it if you want to be safe, 11psi if you can afford a new shortblock *just in case*.

1999 V6 5-speed
14.6 @ 95 w/ 2.22 60'
Wrecked
stangin99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 03:18 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

What are you talking about, not able to mod for 2+ years?! LOL. I already said I am making arround $600 a month, $300 goes to my car payment, another $100 to gas. That leaves me with $200. If the monthly payment on the loan is under $100 or even if it is $100, I can EASILY afford that, and still have $100 left for savings or modding each month. Two years... yea
Old 02-19-2004, 03:47 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahrum
What are you talking about, not able to mod for 2+ years?! LOL. I already said I am making arround $600 a month, $300 goes to my car payment, another $100 to gas. That leaves me with $200. If the monthly payment on the loan is under $100 or even if it is $100, I can EASILY afford that, and still have $100 left for savings or modding each month. Two years... yea
Because if it was me I'd try to pay it off as soon as possible. Why carry a loan on your back for only $100/month...

1999 V6 5-speed
14.6 @ 95 w/ 2.22 60'
Wrecked
Old 02-19-2004, 04:11 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

That's a good point. I guess my real problem is being impatient. But at the rate it'd take me to save up for that ammount... I'd end up finding something else for a smaller price and buy that instead (ie. nitrous).
Old 02-19-2004, 04:45 PM   #21
Ken
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Hampshire
I know it's impossible to try to convince you younger guys that some things just are not that important right now.

Back when I was 18-21 everything was so important and dramatic and significant...

Honestly, I can't remember much other than it was important.. I don't even remember what it was..

The point is, you don't want to carry financial burdens into your future when you have nothing to show for it.

$18/hr sounds awesome.... right now..

I have to side with the "don't finance a mod" argument. If you can't afford it now, just wait. give it a year, or two, or five.

Be smart with your money now, and it will be there for you to enjoy when you REALLY want it.
Old 02-19-2004, 11:26 PM   #22
Dom
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to Dom
Shahrum, just remember, you already have a car payment. Then you add another payment to that. You won't have anything left at the end of the week after paying out. I say just keep saving and go after the looks for now. I know going fast is cool, but sh*t breaks when you start pushing the limits. Can you afford to go fast?
Old 02-20-2004, 05:31 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

No one's listening. I said in one month, I get $600. I spend $300 on car payment, $100 on gas, the monthly payment for the loan is $100, and that leaves me with $100 each month. Plus this is how much money I earn before I got the raise... not after!
Old 02-20-2004, 05:52 AM   #24
Ken
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Hampshire
But if you pay $100/month to the loan it's going to take you 4 years to pay it off.

In 4 years, do you expect to be paying for an apartment? Utilities? Insurance? Food?

You are planning your finances around having $100/month of spending money? What about when you absolutely need a pair of jeans, or shoes, or a shirt and tie for a job?

What about when that hot chick down the street wants you to take her out?
Old 02-20-2004, 08:55 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken
But if you pay $100/month to the loan it's going to take you 4 years to pay it off.

In 4 years, do you expect to be paying for an apartment? Utilities? Insurance? Food?

You are planning your finances around having $100/month of spending money? What about when you absolutely need a pair of jeans, or shoes, or a shirt and tie for a job?

What about when that hot chick down the street wants you to take her out?
exactly. There's always going to be more expenses than you think. "Don't count your chickens before they hatch" is what my dad always reminds me with..

$100/month of spending money is very little room to play with. A trip to the movie, some food, mall, date.... your broke.

1999 V6 5-speed
14.6 @ 95 w/ 2.22 60'
Wrecked
Old 02-20-2004, 01:20 PM   #26
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri
have as few payments as possible when you start college. trust me... youll want all the money you can get

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 02:28 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

I hear you guys, and I appreciate the advice, but in 4 months I'll be out of high school, and in college I'll have much more time to work. I'll be doing more like 20 hours a week instead of 10.
Old 02-20-2004, 02:52 PM   #28
Legacy Member
Legacy

and you still wont have any money. trust me, i was making $400/wk and i was still broke. trust me, i didnt think it could happen to me cause i always had money from working in high school and put a lot away. you will spend a ton of money and not know hwere it goes.
Old 02-20-2004, 03:49 PM   #29
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey
and you still wont have any money. trust me, i was making $400/wk and i was still broke. trust me, i didnt think it could happen to me cause i always had money from working in high school and put a lot away. you will spend a ton of money and not know hwere it goes.
listen to the people that have been there and done that.

school is going to take up a lot more time then you think it will. 20 hours of working on top of 15 hours or so of classes per week will give you no free time. TRUST ME!!!!

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 03:59 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZimStang
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey

school is going to take up a lot more time then you think it will. 20 hours of working on top of 15 hours or so of classes per week will give you no free time. TRUST ME!!!!
yep.

Im opposite of that actually.

I have 20hrs of class a week, and am lucky if I can work enough to pay rent/bills/gas...

1999 V6 5-speed
14.6 @ 95 w/ 2.22 60'
Wrecked
Old 02-24-2004, 06:03 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

I'm doing the "build the engine first, supercharge it later" thing, it it seems like it's going to work out. I bought a used 01 complete engine (minus accessories and trans) and took it apart, so that when I get new cam, heads, etc, i have cores to send in to save money. The motor was only $500 off ebay, and $160 shipped half way across the country. I'm getting forget internals, ported everything, big valve heads, better cam, fuel goodies, new clutch, and a few small things i'm forgetting for $4000. That way i can still drive my car, and work on the engine, then swap them when i'm ready. It'll make pretty good power for the time that it's N/A. Then i'm going to save up for the supercharger. You're lucky to be getting $18/hr depending on where you are. I'm in San Diego and the cost of living is high, and I make $9.45 at the stupid Home Depot. Luckily I live at home, so I don't pay rent, but I do pay about $400 a month for insurance and car payment. I also have a girlfriend that I have to juggle in, along with college (thank god I'm almost out). I too would recommend not getting a loan for a mod. I was thinking about doing it for the supercharger, or putting it on my credit card, but that's not a good idea, just costs more, you might as well wait until the money's saved up.
speedpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 06:33 PM   #32
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to Black95GT
Quote:
I hear you guys, and I appreciate the advice, but in 4 months I'll be out of high school, and in college I'll have much more time to work. I'll be doing more like 20 hours a week instead of 10.
Damn I am in High School pulling 40 hours a week.
2003 DSG Cobra -2.2L KB, 60lbs Injectors, Single Blade TB, SCT2400 MAF, Kook's LT's, Kook's High-Flow Catted X-Pipe, Magnaflow CB, JLT RAI, MGW Short-Throw, H&R Race Springs, MM CC Plates, MM Bumpsteer, BF IRS Brace, BF Idlers, and AFS 18 Chrome Reps w/ R888s
Black95GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 12:24 PM   #33
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Falcon Send a message via MSN to Falcon Send a message via Yahoo to Falcon
Quote:

no free time? u seem to find time to drink quite easily lol jk but shahrum, yea i know ud want the sc but do u really feel like goin in debt then havin more debt when u have to pay off college??
Full Stainless Magnaflow Exhaust, Stainless Longtubes/Off Road Y-Pipe, QTP E-Cutout, HP Tuners, Super Sucker Ram Air Kit, BMR Tunnel Brace/Driveshaft Safety Loop, Hotchkis Panhard Bar, Hypertech 160 Thermostat, CF Whisper Air Lid, Corvette FRCs, K&N, !AIR, !EGR
Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 12:27 PM   #34
Regular

He would have the Loan paid off by the end of the summer more than likely. when he gets more hours

i vote get supercharger

Reddit
Old 02-25-2004, 12:52 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by White95Stangv6
Quote:
Damn I am in High School pulling 40 hours a week.
I also commute 30 minutes to work in the afternoon and one hour home in the evening. If it wasn't for the fact that my job is in such a busy commuting place in the D.C. metro area, I'd be working much more often. And plus, the office closes on weekends, so that rules out about 16 additional hours per week. Office closes by 7 PM weekdays btw, so there's no late night working.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang