Help with fustrating power windows - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-17-2008, 01:33 PM   #1

Region: Florida
Help with fustrating power windows

I recently started having problems with my driverside power window sticking up, and it got to the point where I wasn't able to roll it down at all. Figuring the motor went bad I pull it out of the door to surprisingly find it works and wasn't shot at all. I put it back in the door and the window continued working just fine untill a couple days ago when it stopped working all together again.

Could it the regulator or the track hanging up? This is really bizzare because when it was working it refused to work during the middle of the day when temperature inside the car can reach 115F+. I'm thinking maybe the heat has something to do with it, but I've never had a problem with the passenger side window. I'm looking for any adivce or help I can get.
r3dline is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2008, 02:10 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan
Re: Help with fustrating power windows

Does it make any noise at all when you try this?

At night, do the lights dim when you hit the button down?

It could possibly be the button itself - try moving it around (pressing in slightly different spots) while holding the switch down - If it still fails, pull door panel off again and tap the motor with the handle of a hammer or screwdriver while holding the down switch

Failed/stuck regulators usually make a crapload of noise (grinding/popping, or windows dropping into the door)
Old 09-17-2008, 03:01 PM   #3
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana

if this is a 94-04 car i would bet its the switch
SimplyOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2008, 11:12 AM   #4

Region: Florida

Yeah Its a 2004 40th Anniversay 3.9.

As for the lights dimming everytime I click the button to move the window down, it does dim the lights a little bit as well for the dashboard. I did notice that the other day. It also makes a loud clicking sound coming from the under dash fuse box which I can only figure might be the circuit breaker that controls both windows as well as the locks. But I doubt its the swtich because I switched the switches around; moving the driveside side switch to the passenger slot and the passenger switch to the driver side slot, and theres no effect.

Another thing is the switch gets really hot, enough to burn, when I hold it down like you suggested.
r3dline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 06:15 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona

I had this same thing in my 40th. Window would get stuck up only. Went through two motors until I figured it out.

When you take off the window sash or rubber moulding. You will see the upward limit brackets (Thats what I call them) If your window goes to high, the gears reach the end of the cycle, and the motor binds up on the last gears. The motor has a circuit breaker, so it shuts off so you dont burn it out. I adjusted mine down about 1/4 inch. been fine for months now. mine started doing this at 22,000 miles.
Foxone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 12:09 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

if you hear the motor trying to work and the window wont move then its stuck, it could be electrical (the motor not getting power) or just the motor
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang