torque converter worth it? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-18-2008, 04:40 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
torque converter worth it?

i am in the market for a torque converter for my 2002 auto v6 mustang. mods will soon include all of these:
mac long tube headers
mac o/r h-pipe
flowmaster 40 series catback
k&n fipk intake
sct livewire
4.10 gears
posi-trac differential
asp pulley
rear seat delete
upr control arms
tps dyno tune

now my goal: id like to at least break into the high 14's. my hope is around a 14.5-14.6, but i know that probably isnt likely. so what do you guys think? i was told this torque converter would be just roght for me: TCI 433500 - TCI Saturday Night Special Torque Converters - summitracing.com
would it be worth it? id be installing it with the help of a few friends, but i just wanna make sure that i will see some gains before i spend the money.
tigerfan2771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2008, 10:38 PM   #2
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Re: torque converter worth it?

Simple response...no....not worth it. Spend the money elsewhere.

Better yet, come up with a complete list of parts you want to buy and then buy them. That way you won't be buying parts you end up selling without installing again. Figure out what you want, then start getting the parts.

BUt yeah, that converter seems like the $455 could be much better spent elsewhere.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:48 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

i wont be making that mistake again. i was thinking about an aluminum driveshaft, but after trying and failing to get mine off, im kind of discouraged.
im just trying to find my best options. i wanna do some appearance stuff, but there are so many other things to think about. like i cant do the eibachs and kmember because of the long tubes. im just trying to find a nice median between a nice looking car and a peppy, not fast, car. you know the mods im looking into so let me know what you think i should do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
Simple response...no....not worth it. Spend the money elsewhere.

Better yet, come up with a complete list of parts you want to buy and then buy them. That way you won't be buying parts you end up selling without installing again. Figure out what you want, then start getting the parts.

BUt yeah, that converter seems like the $455 could be much better spent elsewhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2008, 01:15 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Pennsylvania
Send a message via AIM to Kiljosh

Well I think Its a waste of time to mod an auto past the point of a shift kit and tune. Just get what needed to swap to a 5 speed. You'll get the gain you want on top of the potential to get better shifting....

My torque converter blew on my automatic. Instead of just replacing that and having a boring automatic that performs I am switching to a 5 speed with a stage 2 clutch, aluminum flywheel and driveshaft all on top of a new tune. Only a little more $$ and time to have MUCH more fun.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:43 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

honestly, i hear from everyone who has done a torque converter that they noticed a huge difference. most people tell me that it compares to putting gears in the car. is it just the one that i have the link to? what about a 3000 stall from pi? would that be a good investment?
Old 09-19-2008, 10:17 AM   #6
Road Trip!

i wouldnt run a 3000 stall if you want it drivable but i would put one1500-2000 but if you decide to have a shop install it after you realize you dont want to attept it, then the labor will cost you a bit
SimplyOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 12:20 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

well i would only do it if i installed it. i already got a quote for $500 which i really dont wanna pay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyOrangeTPS View Post
i wouldnt run a 3000 stall if you want it drivable but i would put one1500-2000 but if you decide to have a shop install it after you realize you dont want to attept it, then the labor will cost you a bit
Old 09-19-2008, 12:22 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

If you don't hit 14's with the mods listed you need to learn how to put the foot to the floor. Torque convertor is not needed IMO and the money can be better used elsewhere.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang