v6 nitrous question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-28-2004, 09:22 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to blk2kconvstang
v6 nitrous question

aright, what plugs should i use for my v6 when i put on my 75shot? and what would be safer, an rpm switch or just a puch button activation switch? i dont want to use a WOT switch because i dont want to spray in first. i used to have a push button on my del sol but think an rpm switch would work better. (thats right, i'm a honda guy, well used to be, i bought a 2000 mustang v6 and sold my del sol)
blk2kconvstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2004, 10:36 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Rick0636 Send a message via Yahoo to Rick0636
Welcome to the board! Good to see you have come back from the dark side, lol. I won't try to advise you on nitrous, its not a subject I know about or really want to know much about, so I will defer that question to one of the guys here that do, but again, we are glad to have you here!
Rick Kilpatrick, AAS Automotive Systems Tech, Alamance Community College, Class of 99. 06 5 speed manual Mustang with Pony pkg : GT Mac Mufflers, true duals with one custom pipe. 2.5" system. GT bumper cover, all installed March 7&8 2006. AFE Stage 1 CAI, Motoblue Underdrive pulley, GT aluminum shifter knob, honeycomb rear blackout panel,and dash kit installed. Roush hood scoop and side window louvers installed. SS taillight trim has been installed, new alum. GT steering wheel installed.
Rick0636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 11:15 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to tire
an rpm window switch would be safer. you need at least one for a mild shot, but for 75 i would go two stages colder plug wise. i got motorcraft awsf 22c (stock are 42's), but some would recommend autolite, but i doubt anyone has any real proof either is better.
tire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2004, 11:18 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Re: v6 nitrous question

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk2kconvstang
aright, what plugs should i use for my v6 when i put on my 75shot? and what would be safer, an rpm switch or just a puch button activation switch? i dont want to use a WOT switch because i dont want to spray in first. i used to have a push button on my del sol but think an rpm switch would work better. (thats right, i'm a honda guy, well used to be, i bought a 2000 mustang v6 and sold my del sol)
plugs, run copper plugs, one heat range cooler than stock. autolite used to make the 764, and i forgot what the motocraft plug of the same heat/copper is but autolite stopped making the 764. just goto a place and say i need the autolite 764 or a plug similar. tell them it HAS to be copper and one heat range cooler than stock.

as for WOT vs. window switch.
i HIGHLY recommend using the WOT switch. it is a safety measure. it ensures that if something goes wrong, you let up on the gas a tad (natural reaction) and the nitrous stops spraying. if you dont have it, nitrous still sprays. there are a couple ways to prevent not spraying in first. the window switch cannot tell what gear you are in, and will still spray in first gear.

the push button is too Fast and furious for me. who wants to hold a nitrous button down? i suggest Nitrous Express or Nitrous Works for the kit. the easiest way to run it is a toggle switch. i had mine to where one toggle switch was the master switch. if i had it floored and the switch was off, nitrous = no spray. if i had it armed and not floored, nitrous = no spray. that way, i could floor it while racing, wait til i shifted into 2nd and then hit the power switch, and have nitrous activated. since the hand is already by the shifter anyway (i had my switch located by the cig lighter), it was just easy to shift and flip. (this applies to manuals, i have an auto, but my hand stayed right there for when i wanted to spray).

lastly, read the sticky at the top of the page. it is everything you wanted to know about nitrous. since you have had nitrous before, you pretty much know about it, but i wrote it with the v6 mustang in mind, so it might help you with some small tidbits of info.

oh, and welcome to the board
Old 02-28-2004, 11:32 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

thats a good point with the rpm switch that it still sprays when i let off the gas. maybe i'll use a WOT switch to controll the power to the rpm switch so that the rpm switch only kicks in if i got my foot to the floor. thanks for the help (btw, i know alot about nitrous and have the kit that i had on my sol, i just dont want to have to deal with the push button switch anymore and bon want to spray on take off)
Old 02-29-2004, 12:38 AM   #6
Regular

Region: Tennessee
http://www.v6stangs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1041

Here is the link to the nitrous article

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 12:56 AM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk2kconvstang
(btw, i know alot about nitrous and have the kit that i had on my sol, i just dont want to have to deal with the push button switch anymore and bon want to spray on take off)
i didnt doubt that you did, i was just pointing out there are a couple difference than a higher revving del sol engine vs our pushrod engines. like we can spray at a lower rpm range. i have actually sprayed a 75 shot off the line before on my engine.

but about the window switch. it doesnt say if you have auto or manual. if you have manual, i would get a window switch. if you have an auto, i would save your money. the auto will never drop below the rpms needed to maintain nitrous and will never over-rev.

dont forget, you will need a Tach Adapter for running a window switch with the stang
Old 02-29-2004, 06:09 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

i wasnt sayin you doubted me, or tryin to sound like a dick. iwas just letting you know. but yea, i have a manual.
Old 03-02-2004, 08:01 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to v6stanger
For up to a 100 shot use Autolite 764's with a .035 gap.

I'd recommend a Nitrous Express Kit.

The window switches can be a pain to hook up and really aren't needed unless you don't trust yourself to control it all by yourself.

Some like the Fuel Pressure Safety Switch that turns the nitrous off when your FP drops below safe levels.
v6stanger is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Tags
nitrous