Mass Air Meters - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-04-2004, 07:58 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to BrooksPS
Mass Air Meters

Looking into getting a Mass Air meter, but want to know which is the best one. C & L (http://www.rpmoutlet.com/cnl1mustangv6.htm) is one option Im looking at, but its in a 73mm size. The other is a Pro-M Univer, there are so many options im not sure which to go with (http://www.pro-flow.com/Mustang%20Files/Mustang%209603%2038.htm). If anyone has any input or could tell me which to go with, I would really appreciate it.
Thanks,
-Brooks
BrooksPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2004, 08:04 PM   #2
Regular

Region: Tennessee
What other mods do you have done to your car? Mass Air Meters on a near stock car yeild very little

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 08:07 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Rick0636 Send a message via Yahoo to Rick0636
I personally have had very good luck with C&L mafs. Some people think they are only good for paperweights though and say you are better off to stay with a ford maf and just have a chip burned for whichever ford maf you use. 6 of one half dozen of the other, they recommend the lightening mafs, some even the 02+ GT mafs. Like I said, I like C&L, some people like Pro M, I heard long time ago they couldn't make two mafs that ran the same, so I never bought one.
Rick Kilpatrick, AAS Automotive Systems Tech, Alamance Community College, Class of 99. 06 5 speed manual Mustang with Pony pkg : GT Mac Mufflers, true duals with one custom pipe. 2.5" system. GT bumper cover, all installed March 7&8 2006. AFE Stage 1 CAI, Motoblue Underdrive pulley, GT aluminum shifter knob, honeycomb rear blackout panel,and dash kit installed. Roush hood scoop and side window louvers installed. SS taillight trim has been installed, new alum. GT steering wheel installed.
Rick0636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2004, 02:59 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I just put in the sig what is done. The reason I am asking is because there was a recent 5.0 where they did a bunch of bolt-ons for the 3.8 and dyno'd. The Mass Air Meter showed some impressive gains with the NO2.

edit- It was the february issue of 5.0 mustang, with the pro-m univer mass air, the car dyno'd 25hp and 19 tq gain. Its alot, but its in the article.
http://www.mustangmods.com/data/8448/v6stangscom.jpg--2000 3.8L Lazer Red 5spd---Performance- Nitrous Express 75 Wet Shot, MAC Cold Air, Borla Dual Exhaust, ASP Underdrive Pulley, Jacobs Ignition/Wires, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter. *FMS Aluminum D/S*-Appearence- Razzi Full Body Kit, American Racing Rims.-Times--N/A-15.1@93mph--75Shot-14.2@101 - awful 60' times
Old 03-05-2004, 07:37 AM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
I would personally not go with a different MAF and buy 3.73 or 4.10 gears and get a chip or SCT tune especially with the nitrous
Old 03-05-2004, 02:54 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Yes I would too danger dude, thats whay I have a 8.8'' 3.55 in the basement so thats taken care of. I also have a diablo chip I will get reburned when Im done. Thanks for the input but What Im asking is does anybody have any information on these mass air meters.
http://www.mustangmods.com/data/8448/v6stangscom.jpg--2000 3.8L Lazer Red 5spd---Performance- Nitrous Express 75 Wet Shot, MAC Cold Air, Borla Dual Exhaust, ASP Underdrive Pulley, Jacobs Ignition/Wires, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter. *FMS Aluminum D/S*-Appearence- Razzi Full Body Kit, American Racing Rims.-Times--N/A-15.1@93mph--75Shot-14.2@101 - awful 60' times
Old 03-05-2004, 03:43 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

OK then Rick has had good success with C&L but some programmers have had some problems while others have not. ProM is one that alot more programmers have had little problems with. It is a toss up. I would talk to the people who are going to reprogram your chip and ask if they have had any problems
Old 03-05-2004, 09:55 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Dennis Reinhart told me my C&L was a junk MAF before he made my SCT chip, he had never said a thing about it before until then, I told him I had not had any problems with it or another one I had prior to it, and he said ok and burned my chip for it, its been doing great, maybe its a requirement with the "Jerry" programming, LOL.
Rick Kilpatrick, AAS Automotive Systems Tech, Alamance Community College, Class of 99. 06 5 speed manual Mustang with Pony pkg : GT Mac Mufflers, true duals with one custom pipe. 2.5" system. GT bumper cover, all installed March 7&8 2006. AFE Stage 1 CAI, Motoblue Underdrive pulley, GT aluminum shifter knob, honeycomb rear blackout panel,and dash kit installed. Roush hood scoop and side window louvers installed. SS taillight trim has been installed, new alum. GT steering wheel installed.
Old 03-05-2004, 09:59 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

I like the fact that C&L uses Factory Ford electronics and you can recalibrate by changing the calibration tube. ProM makes their own electronics, and from all I hear they have never made two sets of electronics the same yet.
Old 03-09-2004, 09:09 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to v6stanger
Wait until later down the road to upgrade to a new MAF because the hp/tq gains are extremely small and your set-up is not enough to justify a new one.

But if you really do want one just buy a Lightning or 99+ GT Stock Ford MAF and get a chip along with it.

Zach
v6stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 09:17 AM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

That is why you won't get much gains from it Zach, go to www.cnlperformance.com they have the specs on what gains you will get on a stock v6 with their mafs and the dyno sheets to back them up I believe. http://www.cnlperformance.com/73mm_V6.html I didn't see any dyno sheets, but this is what they have to say, its pretty interesting. Also as near as I can see C&L still only makes the V6 maf to fit up to a 2000 model, I think that is pretty interesting since that article someone linked to on here the other day had a 2003 model v6 with a C&L maf and Mac CAI, this isn't recommended by C&L at all btw. I think it was from RPM not redlined but that other outfit.
Old 03-09-2004, 05:33 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to v6stanger
Yeah we've heard it all before about the whole C&L MAF. Some people like it and others don't. I will never run one on any of my cars. i know how they work and what they do to make power. Been at many dyno places while cars with C&L intakes and maf's were on the dyno.

The ford maf's are much easier/safer to tune and more reliable.
v6stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 09:20 PM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

All of you people try to make such a big thing out of C&L mafs, in reality its only a maf body, it is still using the stock ford mass air sensor, geez.
Old 03-14-2004, 07:23 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

so let me get this straight...a gt maf or lighting maf is a direct replacement for my '94 v6?
Old 03-15-2004, 01:48 PM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by widowvirgin
so let me get this straight...a gt maf or lighting maf is a direct replacement for my '94 v6?
Not without a chip or tuning.
Old 03-15-2004, 02:32 PM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Rellik Send a message via Yahoo to Rellik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Dude
Not without a chip or tuning.
Correct. A different MAF will change your A/F ratio and the MAF readings. Only a reburn/new chip will compensate for the change.
Rellik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 06:15 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

but the connector is the same right? and will it improve anything on a stock engine?
Old 03-15-2004, 06:34 PM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

Not really without mods it is sort of a waste. But if you had P&P heads , intakes or a cam it would help. If you had nitrous it would also help.
Old 03-15-2004, 06:39 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

ok, so stock it is, thanks!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang