Hey all, exhaust question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-10-2004, 11:49 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to Sublime782 Send a message via Yahoo to Sublime782
Hey all, exhaust question

Hey, first off I'd like to say hey. I'm new to this forum so i really don't knwo anybody yet, lol. Anyway, I'm driving a stock 2002 V6 with a manual transmission. I'm looking to get a new exhaust system for my car and just have a few questions.

1. The exhaust system I'm looking at is the Magnaflow system that they make for the V6. On the directly from Magnaflow they want about 600 for it, but on www.rpmoutlet.com they want 367 for it after tax and what-not. The system bolts on directly to the stock Y pipe (which I don't mind because I don't ever plan on adding a turbo or supercharger anytime soon). What do you guys think of Magnaflow? What do you think of systems that bolt directly to the "y" pipe.

2. What do you guys think of GT take offs in terms of both sound and performance? What kind of hp/torque gains have those of you that have take offs noticed(if you've dyno'd your car afterwards)? How would take offs compare to the Magnaflow system I've mentioned above? Also, what kind of prices would I be looking at if I went with the GT-take offs. I honestly haven't researched GT-take offs so any detailed info that you guys could give would be appreciated .

Also, keep in mind I probably won't be adding a supercharger or turbo....and I still have about 16,000 miles and a year left on my warranty, lol.

P.S. would a CAI void my warranty? Also, I've found some cheap ones on E-bay(30 - 60 bucks) what do you think of these?
Sublime782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2004, 11:52 AM   #2
Regular

Region: Tennessee
http://v6stangs.mustang-forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=5015

There you go for the gt takes offs.

Personally I would take the gt take offs. They are stainless steel and true dual exaust.

I would never put a dual set up on my car that bolts to the existing y pipe. Thats just me tho

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 12:26 PM   #3

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to 01mineralgrey6
I haev a mac cat back on my car, that uses the y pipe. If i was going to do it again, i would have saved some money by getting the GT take offs and what ever mufflers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2004, 12:26 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via MSN to Shahrum
That's what I have on my car, GT dual exhaust takeoff except I'm not using the OEM GT mufflers, I put two stainless steel Magnaflow XL mufflers on. That's what I'd recommend doing.
Shahrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 03:22 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Falcon Send a message via MSN to Falcon Send a message via Yahoo to Falcon
yes those ebay cais are good there the same as macs ur just payin for the mac name...also the filter is smaller but u will get the same gains from it... when buying tho make sure the person has alot of feedback for them...dont wanna get scammed o and btw welcome
Full Stainless Magnaflow Exhaust, Stainless Longtubes/Off Road Y-Pipe, QTP E-Cutout, HP Tuners, Super Sucker Ram Air Kit, BMR Tunnel Brace/Driveshaft Safety Loop, Hotchkis Panhard Bar, Hypertech 160 Thermostat, CF Whisper Air Lid, Corvette FRCs, K&N, !AIR, !EGR
Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 03:56 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to 04V6STANG
Ihad a muffler shop here cut out the y pipe and install 2 40 series mufflers by flowmaster. Cost $378 w/ tax. It sounds pretty good and I've been told by friends that have GT's that is doesnt sound that much different than theirs.
Old 03-11-2004, 04:04 AM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to sonic04edge
I went with an exhaust shop and got 2x1/2in piping into dual glasspack mufflers with 3.5x18in chrome tips and got it all done for like 230-240 and all I get is compliments on how mean it sounds. Although when I start getting into the performance stuff seriously i'm going to me getting a magnaflo system. Right now they have the best performance gains out of any of the systems. If thats your goal then get it. If you just want exhaust for the sound then get an exhaust shop to do it for you or get the gt takeoffs.
1998 Ford Ranger-The DD
sonic04edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 10:53 AM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Hey sonic, how those glasspacks sound? I'm thinking bout putting dual glasspacks on my car here soon...just can't decide. Where is madison by the way..I'm just across the state line here in MS
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 12:21 PM   #9
Regular

Region: Tennessee
right next to Huntsville

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 01:43 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

So the "y" pipe magnaflow system would be alright? Well, assuming I wouldn't want to get a supercharger or turbo? Also, if there is any way I could cut off my stock "y" pipe and replace it with an H or and X with without voiding my warranty, what would it be?
Old 03-11-2004, 02:04 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Hey brent, ppl keep popping up over there. We aught to plan a meet sometime somewhere in Bama. I'll drive a reasonable distance to meet up. Just an idea there.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 02:08 PM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
Actually Magnaflows and Dynomax Ultraflows have the same exact performance gains!!!!!
Old 03-11-2004, 02:15 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

cool

Yeah, but whta about those crazy "y" pipe bolt on systems? lol. heh. Also, if I were to decide to just buy a new H or X pipe, then can I go ahead and get pretty much any system, even if it was made for the GT or another model mustang as long as it has 2.5 inch pipes?(I don't wanna go any bigger than that)
Old 03-11-2004, 02:55 PM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Rick0636 Send a message via Yahoo to Rick0636
Get a Pacemaker H adapter and you can use any system made for a GT or pre-99 Cobra.
Rick Kilpatrick, AAS Automotive Systems Tech, Alamance Community College, Class of 99. 06 5 speed manual Mustang with Pony pkg : GT Mac Mufflers, true duals with one custom pipe. 2.5" system. GT bumper cover, all installed March 7&8 2006. AFE Stage 1 CAI, Motoblue Underdrive pulley, GT aluminum shifter knob, honeycomb rear blackout panel,and dash kit installed. Roush hood scoop and side window louvers installed. SS taillight trim has been installed, new alum. GT steering wheel installed.
Rick0636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 04:03 AM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to sonic04edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn
Hey brent, ppl keep popping up over there. We aught to plan a meet sometime somewhere in Bama. I'll drive a reasonable distance to meet up. Just an idea there.
Huntsville is a GREAT place for a meet. I know some good places we could go and snap some pics. Plus we got plenty of places to hang out.

As far as your question on the glasspacks. I LOVE them sounds better then the one's i've heard with flomasters. Not to mention half the price and louder. From a distance it almost sounds like a v8 just not quite as low toned. Sounds awesome though you can ask SpectorV he's heard it. He has flo's on his car and he said mine had a deeper tone to it.
1998 Ford Ranger-The DD
sonic04edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 12:47 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Are glasspacks street legal in Texas?Wasn't sure about it so wanted to toss that out there.
BlueThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 12:56 PM   #17
Road Trip!

Send a message via AIM to kaper232 Send a message via Yahoo to kaper232
WOW, this is a really old thread...

I believe glasspacks are 50 state legal...

If you are driving a mustang, glasspacks will probably sound like sh^t
kaper232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 03:06 PM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner
I love my Magnapacks... true dual exhaust is the way to go... do it right, or don't do it at all.... also, go big or go home

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Tags
exhaust