Cobra Front Brakes, MM Rack Bushings, and PICTURES added... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-11-2004, 01:39 PM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Rick0636 Send a message via Yahoo to Rick0636
Cobra Front Brakes, MM Rack Bushings, and PICTURES added...

Got the brakes in from Crossroadz Direct.com yesterday, going to tear it down tomorrow and try to get it all done this weekend, figured it was all in the same neighborhood so I saved it all to do at one time. I will try to get some pictures.
Rick Kilpatrick, AAS Automotive Systems Tech, Alamance Community College, Class of 99. 06 5 speed manual Mustang with Pony pkg : GT Mac Mufflers, true duals with one custom pipe. 2.5" system. GT bumper cover, all installed March 7&8 2006. AFE Stage 1 CAI, Motoblue Underdrive pulley, GT aluminum shifter knob, honeycomb rear blackout panel,and dash kit installed. Roush hood scoop and side window louvers installed. SS taillight trim has been installed, new alum. GT steering wheel installed.
Rick0636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2004, 02:02 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
Sweet keep us informed to your progress and take pics.
Old 03-11-2004, 02:10 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Will do Corey! Hope I don't run into any snags and everything fits like its supposed to. I really didn't want those cross drilled rotors, would have rather had just slotted or slotted ones, but getting them like this in the kit was the least expensive way and hopefully they will will hold up, have just heard horror stories about cracking etc. I like the way they look as long as they don't do that. These are Canadian made, hopefully they are ok, you know the Cobra calipers were made in Australia? LOL
Rick Kilpatrick, AAS Automotive Systems Tech, Alamance Community College, Class of 99. 06 5 speed manual Mustang with Pony pkg : GT Mac Mufflers, true duals with one custom pipe. 2.5" system. GT bumper cover, all installed March 7&8 2006. AFE Stage 1 CAI, Motoblue Underdrive pulley, GT aluminum shifter knob, honeycomb rear blackout panel,and dash kit installed. Roush hood scoop and side window louvers installed. SS taillight trim has been installed, new alum. GT steering wheel installed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2004, 08:53 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

I GOT pictures!! not sure how great they are, but here are over a dozen...still working on the installs.
Old 03-12-2004, 11:34 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to Black95GT
looks good, nice big brakes
2003 DSG Cobra -2.2L KB, 60lbs Injectors, Single Blade TB, SCT2400 MAF, Kook's LT's, Kook's High-Flow Catted X-Pipe, Magnaflow CB, JLT RAI, MGW Short-Throw, H&R Race Springs, MM CC Plates, MM Bumpsteer, BF IRS Brace, BF Idlers, and AFS 18 Chrome Reps w/ R888s
Black95GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 11:45 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to Black00GT
nice

Mods:
K&N filter, Black diamond plate toolbox, and billet grille on the way.

Future mods:
6" lift kit, rims and tires, Catback, Rhino lining, System
Black00GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 09:18 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

I hope this is the last time you guys shut down for days to change anything and wipe out my pictures again, lol. The reason she is still up on the stands is I lost part of my SS brake line kit, so I had to order another set from Steeda thru Crossroadz Direct and now it will be at least Tuesday til they get here. So this evening I started on the rack bushing install, got everything apart but the sleeves, got to get ahold of those with my vice grips and try to pull them like stubborn teeth or something, then cut them off and put it all back together, then when the lines get here, put them on, bleed the system and she will be ready to put the wheels on and roll.
Old 03-16-2004, 06:33 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
be careful not to crack those rotors with alot of hard braking, i would so love to have the looks of cross and drilled rotors....but for handeling and autox they are not good
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 08:27 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

I am a little bit worried about that, but hopefully they will be ok. If not I will go with slotted only ones, I only got these because they came in the kit at a better price than I could get stock ones. I also like the look but have heard the stories about the cracks too. These were made by some company in Canada.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:39 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to v6stanger
Everyone makes a big deal about drilled rotors cracking. They only crack under extreme pressure and heat in conditions like road racing. They are perfectly fine for normal street driving/racing.
v6stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 11:26 AM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Zach speaks the truth !!!!!!!!
Old 03-17-2004, 11:54 AM   #12
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Dude
Zach speaks the truth !!!!!!!!
wouldnt expect anything less

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 02:00 PM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

Well then, thank-you Zack, that eases my mind, I don't plan any all out road racing any time soon, so I should be ok. I am still waiting for my Steeda SS brake lines to get here, and we have another darned rainy day here in Central North Carolina, so I guess no great loss. I have a few different pics up in the V8 section if you haven't looked at this post there. Here are some I took when I did the MM alum. rack bushing install too.
Old 03-17-2004, 04:27 PM   #14
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri
dammit rick, are the engine shots really necessary??? you dont have to rub in the fact that we're all missing 2 cylinders lol

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 06:14 PM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Thought you might like to look at my 4.6L Mike .
Old 03-17-2004, 06:28 PM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

Hard *** Rick making the V6 guys feel insecure!!!!!
Old 03-17-2004, 07:06 PM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

Gosh guys, I didn't mean to.
Old 03-17-2004, 07:49 PM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

HAHAHHAHAHAHHAHHAHHAHAA

Well Zim I think I got him back MUHAHHAHAHHAHAHAH

Hey Rick ol Buddy I was just janking your Leg

Old 03-18-2004, 09:20 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to v6stanger
V-What? Rick

Car is looking good these days.
v6stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 07:58 PM   #20
Legacy Member
Legacy

Got it all back together today and took it out for a test run with the top down all over town, did real well, I could tell that I do need a front end alignment, other than that its all cool!!

I also put on these FRPP Bullitt Pedals, the gas pedal was a real PIA, getting that pin out, and back in especially was something else, in fact its still sticking out about 1/4 inch, never did get it in all the way, the heck with it!
Old 03-26-2004, 09:08 PM   #21

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to 01mineralgrey6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick0636
I also put on these FRPP Bullitt Pedals, the gas pedal was a real PIA, getting that pin out, and back in especially was something else, in fact its still sticking out about 1/4 inch, never did get it in all the way, the heck with it!
you can say that again. Mines sticking out a little too. been that way for a few months, Streching the brake pedal over was a little tricky too. But it all looks good
Old 03-26-2004, 09:23 PM   #22
Legacy Member
Legacy

Tell me how you did it man? I stuck a piece of 2x4 behind there after I got the pin started in a little, then I put a small body hammer up against the pedal frame thing, and pounded it with a 2lb ball peen, lol. The brake pedal one I worked it on as far as I could with my hand and then prized it on the rest of the way with the nail file thing on my little swiss army knife. lol
Old 03-26-2004, 09:35 PM   #23

Corey told me to use some pliers to press it out and press it back in. So I used a pair of small channel locks to press it out a bit then used some side cutters to pry it out of the pedal arm thing. then just lined it up and used the channel locks again and pressed it back in. I think its a 4 out of 5 stars on the PITA scale!LOL
Old 03-26-2004, 09:48 PM   #24
Legacy Member
Legacy

the SVT GT strikes again

the cobra brakes are a great upgrade to those cheapy stock brakes
Old 03-26-2004, 11:16 PM   #25
Legacy Member
Legacy

I like that shot of you cruizing in your new car Monkey! Cute man. Yeah, well, with the IRS rear end came Cobra rear brakes, so my rear rotors were about the same size as my front ones, which I thought looked a tad odd, and I wanted Cobra front brakes anyhow, sooo.

I had some channel locks and vice grips out there, but I couldn't get ahold of that pin with them, I just destroyed the stock pedal to get it out of my way. Tore it all to pieces. The only one I didn't tear up was the brake pedal cover, and it was worn out anyway. So I just threw what was left of them all in the trash.
Old 03-27-2004, 06:27 AM   #26

I mutelated (sp?) my factory pedals. they were'nt exactly made to come off...lol
Old 03-28-2004, 05:24 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Dude
Hard *** Rick making the V6 guys feel insecure!!!!!
It ain't the size of your package, it's what you do with it, lol.

Gimme 8 anyday.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by slvr2000stang
Holy crap he's right.
Ponycarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 06:15 PM   #28
Legacy Member
Legacy

I have had so many V8's I took it as a challange to build a V6 and have been very happy. I am not yet capable of running down a 99+ Gt but I can more than hold my own to any stock Fox body GT all the way to 98 GT especially a automatic!!!
Old 03-28-2004, 07:25 PM   #29
Legacy Member
Legacy

Corey,
I am sure you can man, hey buddy, did you go off for the weekend man? You get my email that you had a priority mail package on the way?
Old 03-29-2004, 06:43 AM   #30
Legacy Member
Legacy

Yes I got your email. I was away from the computer all weekend. Very busy and knee deep in home projects, Car show saturday and more home projects. Oh you will have a visit from paypal today also
Old 03-29-2004, 09:13 AM   #31
Legacy Member
Legacy

Thats good, the Mail woman should have that package with the hoses, its one of those Priority cardboard envelope thingys, they are inside a plastic bag inside that. If they dont' get there I have the postal tracking number thing for it too.
Old 03-29-2004, 09:25 AM   #32
Legacy Member
Legacy

Very good thanks Rick !!!!
Old 03-29-2004, 09:46 AM   #33
Legacy Member
Legacy

Red face

I just had them email us a track and confirm with future updates. Should be interesting, lol.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang