Cat-Back Exhaust - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-15-2004, 11:13 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to StalkinStang
Cat-Back Exhaust

I have a question....Right now i have stock gt mufflers so it sounds pretty decent but its quiet...Now if i wanted to go with something with more sound preferring deep tone what exhaust would you all recommend the most? I have heard flowmaster.....magnaflow any suggestions please?
StalkinStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2004, 11:29 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via MSN to Shahrum
I have Magnaflows on my car, and while they're definately louder than the stock GT muffler, they are no where near as low as Flowmaster 40's. As far as noise, you're best getting the Flowmasters. Magnaflows are better performance wise (or so I've heard) just because of how they're designed. But because of the Magnaflow design, the sound is not as loud.
Shahrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 11:29 AM   #3
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Mac Flowpaths. Flowmasters on V6 Mustangs tend to be annoying at Highway speeds

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2004, 11:32 AM   #4

Well I mean i want good performance as well but i just want a little more sound...I know with a v6 you wont get alot but anything will be more that what i have ....i just want what would sound the best for a v6? Thanks
Old 03-15-2004, 12:07 PM   #5
Regular

Mac flowpaths sound the best to me. Let me get you a link to the exaust article we have

Reddit
Old 03-15-2004, 12:12 PM   #6
Regular

http://www.mustang-forums.com/forums...ead.php?t=4003

and check this one out to

http://v6stangs.com/index.php?page=a...aust/index.php

Reddit
Old 03-15-2004, 01:45 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
It alldepends what you want in sound

Do you want to wake the dead
Have people put their windows up at stop lights
Piss neighbors at 1 AM
have a nice agressive growl
Be a sleeper and let no one know you are coming

Any performance muffler will sound better than stock. I had a great article up on the types of mufflers but with no spin. But it seems to be gone But I will hijack it from another forum. I have Dynomax Ultraflows and they also sound good. but the best thing for you to do is find what is best for you.

There is so much confusion on what mufflers people shoud get I thought I would discuss the different types of Mufflers and brands to look at.
The type of muffler determines the sound and performance you get. The brand is more for sound.

There are a few catagories of mufflers to choose from

Glass Packs: these are common among some of the older crowd they are like cherry bombs and they are very loud

Turbo mufflers; These are common amongest the general public they are made by many companies and are usually inexpensive and are offered at any muffler shop The best in this catagory is Dynomax Turbo Mufflers They have a nice overall sound.

Flow thru mufflers: These these are mufflers like Glass packs and that exhaust flows straight thru the muffler for less restriction and are mellower then glass Packs but have a great overall sound and really light up when punching the gas pedal. Dynomax Ultraflows, Magnaflow and Borla are in this group. these are all great mufflers but the borla can be pricey. None of these mufflers (Drone) at highway speeds.

Dynomax Ultraflows: they come in welded or stainless. they have a great sound I have them.

Magnaflows:I would also recommend they have a great sound

Borla: I would only use Borla's if I had performance heads and cam they are great on V8's but unless you got great mods they tend to get ricy at high RPM but they are a great quality but at a high price.

Chambered, Baffled, walled or deflecting mufflers: These are mufflers that have a maze of walls built in them to redirect exhaust gasses thru the mufflers to generate some backpressure but mostly to manipulate the sound giving you a deeper tone. Some of these are quite loud inside the car. The low exhaust pulse traveling thru these chambers or diverging walls will actually cause a druming effect giving you a (Droning) sound that penetrates the floor of the car and can make your driving on the interstate unpleasurable. there are a few mufflers in this catagory.

Flowmaster: unquestionably the most popular in the US. They have several series the most popular being 40 2 chamber, 40 3 chamber and 50's. Of all the mufflers 40's are the most popular and the loudest they are the Drone standard for all mufflers. The drone is especially bad in 94-98 mustangs. People either love them or hate them.
40's 3 chamber have somewhat less drone but not by much. 50's are quieter but are more expensive but have a good overall sound.

MAC Flowpath: they do not drone and is my favorite in this group. I would highly recommend them and they have a great overall sound.

Spintech: is another good sounding muffler in this group they also offer a nice side exhaust system but it to can be pricey.

These mufflers are what 90% of the people on this and most 3.8
forums have. There are others but they are less popular.

I hope this helps

Corey(Danger Dude)
Old 03-15-2004, 01:54 PM   #8

well thank you all very much yeah im just working towards getting something that sounds decent and i dont wont to wake the dead or piss off the neighbors i just want to hear a rumble when the car starts and some kind of a nice tone when taking off, but thanks for all of your help and i will keep all of it in mind...
Old 03-15-2004, 03:37 PM   #9
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri
thrush turbo mufflers are what I'm looking at. Theyre made by dynomax and all the clips ive heard of them have turned me towards those.

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 08:36 AM   #10
RGR
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Send a message via AIM to RGR
I can help with sizing, tell me what year and what U want for future mods
and we can select a good size. Unlike Justang2K who has had 9 different
exhaust arrangements and is still having seconf thoughts
Old 03-16-2004, 08:44 AM   #11

hmmm...well i have a 2000 and as of right now a cold air kit on right now and for furture engine mods im not lookin at anything right now so what would you say now? =)
Old 03-16-2004, 09:23 AM   #12
RGR
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StalkinStang
hmmm...well i have a 2000 and as of right now a cold air kit on right now and for furture engine mods im not lookin at anything right now so what would you say now? =)
I'd get a nice 2.25" system with your choice of muffs.
At this level of mods you will make as much HP with
subdued muffs (and more Torque!) as with big, loud,
nasty sounding ones. Also the 2.25" setup will support
300 BHP (about 240 RWHP auto and about 260 RWHP 5-speed)
so barring a big SC kit you are good to go forever as far as
exhaust is concerned. SC and porting like 2.5" pipes.

2.25" = good up to ~300 BHP
2.50" = good up to ~400 BHP
3.00" = good up to ~600 BHP

All of these are for duals, so it is 2- 2.25" pipes, etc.
Kinda make you wonder why the factory uses single
2" piping
Old 03-16-2004, 04:45 PM   #13

Thumbs up A Thought on Exhausts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StalkinStang
I have a question....Right now i have stock gt mufflers so it sounds pretty decent but its quiet...Now if i wanted to go with something with more sound preferring deep tone what exhaust would you all recommend the most? I have heard flowmaster.....magnaflow any suggestions please?
I am also thinking about putting an exhaust on my v6 stang. I am considering a magnagflow dual exhaust and a flowmaster dual exhaust. I have heard from several people that the magnaflow will give your stang about 20 more horsepower, the flowmaster will give it about 10 horsepower. I prefer flowmaster because they have been around longer and yes, they are the trusted exhaust for the american hot rod. I personally would get a flowmaster dual exhaust conversion kit. They run about $300.00 dollars. The magna flow is about $259.99.
V6Rob38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 05:03 PM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

Actually both Hp numbers are way off for V6 stangs. Flowmaster being a Chambered muffler will give a stock V6 almost zero HP. Magnaflows, Dynomax ultraflows or Borla's are flow thru design and will give you a little hp in the 2 to 5 HP range at best. Dont get confused by HP claims with V8 motors some like Cobra's can see a 15 or more HP gain.

As far as trusted Dynomax has been around the longest, both Magnaflow and Flowmaster started in the early 80's
Old 03-16-2004, 05:55 PM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Rick0636 Send a message via Yahoo to Rick0636
Why would you pay more for an exhaust system built by Flowmaster than one built by Magnaflow? Flowmaster has not yet discovered the art of building exhaust components from stainless steel and their mufflers and other components will therefore rust right off your car in a few years, thereafter known as RUSTmasters, lol.
Rick Kilpatrick, AAS Automotive Systems Tech, Alamance Community College, Class of 99. 06 5 speed manual Mustang with Pony pkg : GT Mac Mufflers, true duals with one custom pipe. 2.5" system. GT bumper cover, all installed March 7&8 2006. AFE Stage 1 CAI, Motoblue Underdrive pulley, GT aluminum shifter knob, honeycomb rear blackout panel,and dash kit installed. Roush hood scoop and side window louvers installed. SS taillight trim has been installed, new alum. GT steering wheel installed.
Rick0636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 06:18 PM   #16

Lightbulb A question about exhausts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Dude
Actually both Hp numbers are way off for V6 stangs. Flowmaster being a Chambered muffler will give a stock V6 almost zero HP. Magnaflows, Dynomax ultraflows or Borla's are flow thru design and will give you a little hp in the 2 to 5 HP range at best. Dont get confused by HP claims with V8 motors some like Cobra's can see a 15 or more HP gain.

As far as trusted Dynomax has been around the longest, both Magnaflow and Flowmaster started in the early 80's
Is it true the when you get a dual exhaust conversion on a mustang it is only like putting a dummy exhaust on because it cpnnects to a y-pipe and not an h pipe. what exhaust do you prefer. i want the loudest exhaust out there but also also durable.
V6Rob38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 07:00 PM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

If you want loud and Durable go with Mac Flowpath or Dynomax Turbos (found on Roush cars till 2002) they are chamber so they will be loud and they are stainless. Also Thrush which is owned by Dynomax makes a stainless glass pack that is loud as hell.

I would also go and get a muffler shop to make a custom set up for you or go get some GT take off and have a shop install them. Unless you can weld and have access to a lift.
Old 03-16-2004, 07:18 PM   #18
RGR
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Dude

He's right! Most any 2.25" true dual exhaust system on a V6 will make the
same HP, since they are designed for more like 302 cubic inch instead of 232.
Most louder systems will develop less backpressure as well, which generally
reduces low-end torque. I personally like Warlocks for a dual-personality setup
because they are relatively quiet until you remove the caps and then they
are really loud! And they make great power at the track with a 5 speed
(since you can launch higher and will not miss the low end)

A bigger or less restrictive system will not make more HP on a V6, but it may
very well reduce low end torque as most dual exhaust systems are geared
towards V8's that are 281 cubes and bigger.

So choose your sound and get it in a 2.25" size, and you will be set!
Old 03-16-2004, 07:27 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to Suprman
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR
He's right! Most any 2.25" true dual exhaust system on a V6 will make the
same HP, since they are designed for more like 302 cubic inch instead of 232.
Most louder systems will develop less backpressure as well, which generally
reduces low-end torque. I personally like Warlocks for a dual-personality setup
because they are relatively quiet until you remove the caps and then they
are really loud! And they make great power at the track with a 5 speed
(since you can launch higher and will not miss the low end)

A bigger or less restrictive system will not make more HP on a V6, but it may
very well reduce low end torque as most dual exhaust systems are geared
towards V8's that are 281 cubes and bigger.

So choose your sound and get it in a 2.25" size, and you will be set!
yeah i have the warlocks and i love being able to be quiet when i want or loud and obnoxious! i am thinking of getting electric cutouts so i can turn from quiet to loud with a flick of a switch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a232stang
SUPRMAN KICKS ***.
Suprman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 07:30 PM   #20
Legacy Member
Legacy

Once again Robert speaks TRUISM!!!

I keep forgetting Warlock mufflers capped they have a nice growl, uncapped you will wake the dead!!!!
Old 03-16-2004, 07:56 PM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Pennsylvania
I've heard bassani sounds good on a 3.8. Does anyone know anything about them Sound or performance?

-Denver
2002 Mineral Grey GT, 5-speed: MGW short throw, JLT CAI: SOLD
2002 Electric Green V6, Auto: SOLD
greenpony02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 08:49 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

i love my flowmasters. they are nice at idle and low RPM's, tend to get a little ricey as the RPM's go up (~2500), but then get mean again near redline.

if you want to deepen your exhaust note you can get an H pipe fabbed for you by any muffler shop. the H pipe tends to make your exhaust note lower and deeper and more rumbly. dont bother getting glass packs, they are just plain loud but dont offer any low end rumble. some people dont like the sound of flowmasters at highway speeds but i love it. its such an awesome sound. i couldnt be happier with my flows.

another choice that i highly recommend is the warlocks from holley. i have heard these mufflers in person and i have to say they sound kickass. they are some of the best sounding mufflers ive ever heard.

http://www.mizzoustud.com/pics/conc.png
Concordium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 10:19 AM   #23
Legacy Member
Legacy

3 inch FMS Catback for IRS BADASS
Rick Kilpatrick, AAS Automotive Systems Tech, Alamance Community College, Class of 99. 06 5 speed manual Mustang with Pony pkg : GT Mac Mufflers, true duals with one custom pipe. 2.5" system. GT bumper cover, all installed March 7&8 2006. AFE Stage 1 CAI, Motoblue Underdrive pulley, GT aluminum shifter knob, honeycomb rear blackout panel,and dash kit installed. Roush hood scoop and side window louvers installed. SS taillight trim has been installed, new alum. GT steering wheel installed.
Old 03-22-2004, 09:44 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick0636
3 inch FMS Catback for IRS BADASS

cant see your setup at all because its too dark. maybe i just have sh1tty vision

Old 03-22-2004, 10:01 PM   #25
Legacy Member
Legacy

Did you click on the thumnails and enlarge them?
Old 03-23-2004, 06:25 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick0636
Did you click on the thumnails and enlarge them?
yeah but i still cant seem to make out the exhaust. maybe it was the lighting or the sh1tty monitor i was viewing them on.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Tags
exhaust