GT-Take Offs Compared to name brands - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-15-2004, 07:49 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to StangDoo98
GT-Take Offs Compared to name brands

I am going to be buying a dual exhaust system for my car soon. I hear about this GT-Dual Exhaust take off system. Now comparing that to other systems out there such as magnaflow, borla, etc., is the performance about the same? Is it mainly just a matter of diffferent sound out of different mufflers?

I'd actually rather have the muffler sound quiet except a boost in idle sound would be cool. As long as the performance would be there. (I know I won't get much out of it now, but maybe when I get my CAI, Ported Intakes, Heads it should

Plus I would like to go with the ultimate sleeper look for my car. I don't want any mods at all to my exterior or interior really... if I'm going to spend any $$ for my car it's going to be in the engine... even though its only a v6. Some of these cars won't expect it

Thanks
StangDoo98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2004, 08:07 PM   #2
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Gt take offs are stainless steal so they wont rust. Others like MAc arent and tend to rust. Other than that its mainly sound. besides you can always put new mufflers on a gt take exaust if you want something louder

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 08:19 PM   #3
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri
you could get turndowns right after the mufflers... thatd be sleeperish

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2004, 08:43 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via MSN to Shahrum
Yeah, I saw got with the GT takeoffs just so you can get all of the hardware you need and such -- plus the stainless pipes do help. And then go ahead and get yourself a pair of Magnaflows or Flowmasters. Me, myself, I went with a GT takeoff system and then tossed out the mufflers for dual stainless steel Magnaflow XL mufflers along with stainless dual DTM exhaust tips.
Shahrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 07:54 AM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to dark Send a message via Yahoo to dark
gt takeoffs aren't really a system per-say, just a set of catbacks taken off of a gt mustang. they are pretty good, and while the mufflers are quiet on our cars (less displacement = less air volume) they are stainless steel, and the tailpipes and tips are polished, so they look very sharp. they also tend to be very cheap, usually taken off by GT owners that are upgrading to custom exhaust themselves...

as for other systems, bassani and borla catbacks are also stainless steal, but they are extremely expensive, and not really recommended unless you'll be building a new engine

mac, flowmaster and magnaflow are alright, but as was stated, they aren't stainless steel, so they WILL rust, probably sooner as opposed to later. so if you just want dual exhaust, go with the GT takeoffs, you can always replace the mufflers later on
Old 03-16-2004, 10:25 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Your wrong there. Flowmasters, Macs, and Magnaflows are available in stainless steel. I have stainless steel Magnaflows.

I will agree all the Mac and Magnaflow mufflers I have seen were stainless

All the Flowmasters I have seen were Aluminum but that is not to say you cant get them in stainless
Old 03-16-2004, 10:53 AM   #7

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to 01mineralgrey6
I belive the mufflers themselves are available in stainless but not the whole cat-back, aside from magnaflow.
Old 03-16-2004, 12:35 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Oh ok... yeah, you could be right. I'm not sure about the pipes, but certainly the mufflers are available in polished stainless steel.
Old 03-16-2004, 07:25 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to dark Send a message via Yahoo to dark
^i stand corrected
Old 03-21-2004, 06:49 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

get the GT takeoffs. they are cheaper than buying a whole system. i recommend trying to find a GT takeoff system from EBAY or from the classifieds of any mustang forum. i bought mine for $150 from a guy off of Mustang World. thats a hell of a lot cheaper than any brand name system out there.

http://www.mizzoustud.com/pics/conc.png
Concordium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 06:54 PM   #11
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concordium
get the GT takeoffs. they are cheaper than buying a whole system. i recommend trying to find a GT takeoff system from EBAY or from the classifieds of any mustang forum. i bought mine for $150 from a guy off of Mustang World. thats a hell of a lot cheaper than any brand name system out there.
I agree

Welcome to the site

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 08:36 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to tire
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkling
gt takeoffs aren't really a system per-say, just a set of catbacks taken off of a gt mustang. they are pretty good, and while the mufflers are quiet on our cars (less displacement = less air volume) they are stainless steel, and the tailpipes and tips are polished, so they look very sharp. they also tend to be very cheap, usually taken off by GT owners that are upgrading to custom exhaust themselves...

as for other systems, bassani and borla catbacks are also stainless steal, but they are extremely expensive, and not really recommended unless you'll be building a new engine

mac, flowmaster and magnaflow are alright, but as was stated, they aren't stainless steel, so they WILL rust, probably sooner as opposed to later. so if you just want dual exhaust, go with the GT takeoffs, you can always replace the mufflers later on
a "system" includes headers, midpipe and catback. gt take offs are just another catback. the best thing you can do dollar for horsepower is to get gt take offs. if you don't like the sign, find some used or cheap new muffs.
tire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 09:46 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon
Thumbs up

StangDoo, go to http://www.3.8mustang.com/midwest/index.shtml Terry has GT take-offs for $130 to your door, about a $100 for installation and you have a nice rumble that will improve with time, mine did.

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/666/the_stang_005.jpg
Red "98" coupe V6 AT. Saleen boby kit, 18" replica Saleen rims, FMC "C" springs, Mach 1/Tokico shocks/struts, GT sway bars, GT STB, Sequential turn signals, Euro head lights and clear corners, BBK CAI and GT take-off exhaust.
OR_Red98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 08:22 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
I agree

Welcome to the site
thanx

http://www.mizzoustud.com/pics/conc.png
Concordium is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang