Mustang V6 Problem. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-04-2008, 01:45 PM   #1

Region: Florida
Exclamation Mustang V6 Problem.

I have a '99 Mustang V6
Ok so this is how the problem started. And pardon my non-technical terms for im new to this.

First my AC compresor fried.
- Had it replaced for a new one.

Now the car is "fine" when the AC is not on. But when I turn it on. Even though the AC is is blowing cold air. The car idles and RPMs drop below normal including a bit of shaking and a ticking sound just like old chevy trucks.
This causes the AC compresor to turn off and on as the RPM goes up and down. When I accelerate everything is just fine. The only thing is when im above 60mph I hear the ticking sound again as if there was a gasket loose in the pipe or something.

My car has a dual exhaust adaptation with Flowmasters but they removed the catalytics, so it has a straight pipe installation. Also the Check Engine light is always on. (im guessing because of the missing catalytics)

I don't know if this is a vacuum leak or a gasket being worn out. Any one that has come across this issue please help.

Thanks in advance.
nexuslair is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2008, 04:29 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Re: Mustang V6 Problem.

Yeah no cats will throw a light .Clean your MAF and check for leaks Who did the A/C install ?? If a shop did it have them check for vacuum leak If you did it re check your install

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 04:38 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Yeah no cats will throw a light .Clean your MAF and check for leaks Who did the A/C install ?? If a shop did it have them check for vacuum leak If you did it re check your install

check the ac belt tension. adjust the ac idle speed there's a idle adjustment when ac is on (rpm goes up).Check your freon level if it's low the idle will go up and down

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2008, 01:50 PM   #4

Region: Canada

Without the Cats in place, (A) the exhaust passes by the sensors so fast that they don't have time to properly get a true reading, and (B) with the OBDII system you will have pre and post O2 sensors. They will read the same thus probably throwing a TWC (3way cat) inefficiency or below threshold codes. The only way to turn the light off is to install high flow cats.
1RNKPNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 12:40 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri

Or get MIL elimantors. Or a tuner and turn the back sensors off.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang