Time for True Duals - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-20-2004, 01:02 AM   #1

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to 01mineralgrey6
Time for True Duals

Ok since I put the headers on the car I have noticed the floorboards are getting a little warm. Maybe the headers are too efficent for the y pipe set up I have. Anyway I am thinking of getting a custom fabbed, O/R H or X, what do you guys think I am leaning torwards the X pipe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2004, 02:34 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to tire
if you are feeling warmth from the exhaust, something is wrong. go check clearances and if any pipes are touching your floorpan, have it fixed immediately. many a car has gone up in smoke because of ghetto exhausts causing carpet fires. same for n2o systems with no fuse.

6 bangers don't benefit from the cross over effect like the v8's do, and i'm sure you can find the tech behind it if you search around, but i don't feel like spelling it all out. the firing order is different and hence we don't gain that much from h and x pipes. personally, i think they still help a little more than physics say because all the quick n/a v6 guys have o/r h's but maybe that's just a coincidence.

until you are deep into mods and you go cam/heads/intake and whatnot, i'd just get a gt take off and be happy. honestly, it's all you need unless you decide to go with a blower or n2o. what are your plans, budget, etc.?
tire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 04:46 PM   #3

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to 01mineralgrey6
I think I may get a head/cam/intake kinda thing, but im still not sure if I just want to get a GT, anyway, Thanks and ill check everything out tomorrow!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2004, 08:42 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

V8 have a dual firing order while V6's dont. because of this we dont need to crossover tube to equalize exhaust pressure. thus getting an X or H pipe wont really offer any power gains. instead what they do for the V6 (as well as V8's) is change the sound. the X pipe will give your car a higher, more raspy tone to it. its a pretty aggressive sound IMO. the H pipe will give it a lower, deeper tone and is more of a "dont think about messin with my car cause i got some power under the hood" kind of sound.

honestly, i would rather go with the H pipe because the V6 has a raspy enough exhaust note. the H pipe will help to balance it out. plus, instead of buying a H pipe from a manufacturer, just have a muffler shop fab one for you in like 20 minutes for a total of $30 or so. it majorly cheap and does the same thing. thats just my $.02

http://www.mizzoustud.com/pics/conc.png
Concordium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 08:51 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to tire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concordium
plus, instead of buying a H pipe from a manufacturer, just have a muffler shop fab one for you in like 20 minutes for a total of $30 or so. it majorly cheap and does the same thing. thats just my $.02
note that only experienced welders can fab a beneficial h pipe.... and that a true h pipe is BEFORE the cats. an "equalizer tube" (let's call it) is after the cats and doesn't have the same effect a real h can.

the fastest n/a 3.8 guys run o/r h's... coincidence or is something still fishy?
Old 03-22-2004, 08:59 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

granted that its not a TRUE H pipe. it still does the same thing as a regular H pipe. it will still change the sound a bit. for $30-$50 id say go for it. but thats just me.

http://www.mizzoustud.com/pics/conc.png
Concordium is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang