V6 vs SRT4! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-06-2008, 10:46 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
V6 vs SRT4!

I was asking this ?s on other forums but want to see what you guys think. Would you change a V6 for a SRT4? I've been really thinking lately and I think I might do this. Faster, better on gas, easier and cheaper to mod...why not? And the fact that it's just a Neon wouldn't really bother me as much as that it's not a Stang...lol!
SerbStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2008, 10:50 PM   #2
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Re: V6 vs SRT4!

Hell no.

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 10:53 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri

Thats a tough question ive owned both and enjoyed both to a great extent. I would keep the Mustang. Imo i enjoyed driving a rear drive vehicle. more than a front drive. The enjoyment for me is more than enough to keep the car.
So in other words NO
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2008, 11:07 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Well now that you own GTs I'm pretty sure you would all say no. But, I'm just tired of getting smoked from almost everybody...there's even a video on youtube of a Sixer losing to a van. Anyways, I put so much in my Sixer and still SLOW! And SRT4, from what I heard, with few mods can out run a new edge GT. The only thing I wouldn't like is FWD, but it's ok!
Old 10-06-2008, 11:40 PM   #5
Regular

I'm a Mustang person only so I'm biased. I wouldn't be caught dead in a Neon. There is more than just going fast for me.

Reddit
Old 10-06-2008, 11:49 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to sonic04edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
I'm a Mustang person only so I'm biased. I wouldn't be caught dead in a Neon. There is more than just going fast for me.
Well maybe if you owned a fast car you would think differently.

If your car is an automatic I say go for it. If it's a manual I say keep it.
1998 Ford Ranger-The DD
sonic04edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 11:51 PM   #7
Regular

I've driven fast cars. Rode in fast cars. Ford makes fast cars last time I checked.

Reddit
Old 10-07-2008, 12:10 AM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to modular2valve Send a message via Yahoo to modular2valve

i would research both options for a while before deciding. yes the turbo car is easy to mod, but fwd is not optimal for traction and the car is not safe in a accident. the six , yea its underpowered, but u have alot of options to make it quicker. hell, u can swap in a pi 4.6 in for cheap, its not impossible. i would stick with the stang, but its your call. good luck

96 GT- Who knows what's in it.
modular2valve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 07:48 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

negative ghostrider. Have you driven one yet? Cant look behind you to back up or change lanes you have to FULLY rely on your mirrors, interior is just BLAH!! you think you care now but it just that bad (only thing nice is the front seats), o and my fav is that the shift knob isnt even screwed on, it CLIPS ON i went to do a quick shift 1-2 (im a little harder than i need to be with shifting ill admit that) and the knob ended up in the back dash. I was like WTF did i break this piece, BTW thats not a uncommon problem with the knob I here. interior just KILLED the sale for me.

March 2010 Mustangevolution Mustang of the Month 1st eva biatch!
DarkShadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 11:50 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

I personally would keep the stang, even thought its not the fastest ride out there, it is still better than owning a souped up Neon. Its like owning a SHO Taurus, but then i don't like them or any of the owners i've met so far.The 3.8 has a lot of potential after some time and money, or else do like modular2valve said. You can find tons of 4valve DOHCs for cheap if you look around.

I have a friend that has a SRT4, and though it is somewhat fast, he's always running into problems with it. But then its up to you. On the positive, at least its half American.
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:03 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

If you don't like how fast the Mustang is, sell it and get the GT. Then do some mods to that. Better starting place and it responds to mods very well.

I know you said it wouldn't bother you, but still, at the end of the day, it's just a Neon. It isn't going to turn any heads. It isn't going to make you look at it and be happy that you own it. If you've gotten to the point where you're like... I hate my car, then perhaps it's time for a new one. But if speed is all that matters for you, get a crotch rocket. If you want something that's very classy and "sporty", stay with the Mustang.

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:13 PM   #12
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Also, remember, in a skittle, if you run into anything bigger than a shopping cart (buggy for those of you in the south), the car is going to be totaled and you will be in the hospital assuming you were lucky enough to survive.

Um, no, I would not trade my 100 hp 4 banger mustang for a skittle, let alone a 6.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:25 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

If you just HAVE to get rid of the mustang for something else thats quick and gets good gas milege, then look at the WRX. fantastic car, with not many issues, and can be had for cheap now. much more of a head turner, its pretty quick, you would want to look at it instead of pretend your driving something else.

March 2010 Mustangevolution Mustang of the Month 1st eva biatch!
DarkShadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:51 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to Mustang GT HO

Buy a helicopter, then you'll get all the ladies.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:54 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I don't know guys, sometimes I'm like wtf?! So much put in this car, so many problems so far, and I decide I want something new...but than I park next to SRT4 and looking at both I just can't get rid of the Stang. It stands out! And what sux the most is the fact that I have a complete Vortech kit, but just can't afford to put it on. So I decided to sell it. If I stay with a Sixer my plans would be sell Vortech, get power pack from SSM (another 30-40HP to the wheels would be enough for me), than do a little on exterior, maybe a cowl hood, and bumpers! And getting a GT now is not really affordable for me, considering that I had total before. Well, plans are one and reality is other, so I'll just let the things go and see what comes up. I'm definately ready for a new ride, and when I hear SRT4 owners talking I'm like oh yes I want one...but than I come here and just realize how much I love my slow Sixer!
Old 10-07-2008, 12:58 PM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

keep the vortech, save up until you can put it on. You don't want to lose money on that investment.

Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
Old 10-07-2008, 01:18 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

for the dollar they can be made fast but in the end you will have a cheap POS thats not worth anything. I would get a DD thats reliable and slow and have a fun car for the weekend.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 01:24 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, Sixers are losing their value so fast, and no matter how much you put in it you can never get it back. And when it comes to selling my s/c, I will have to. I'm planning on getting about 2700 for it...and with that money I can get a powerpack like I said, have it tuned and maybe do some more (pullies, exterior...).

And I never drove SRT4, so I was thinking of test driving one. That might help me decide.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:52 PM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerbStang View Post
Yeah, Sixers are losing their value so fast, and no matter how much you put in it you can never get it back. And when it comes to selling my s/c, I will have to. I'm planning on getting about 2700 for it...and with that money I can get a powerpack like I said, have it tuned and maybe do some more (pullies, exterior...).

And I never drove SRT4, so I was thinking of test driving one. That might help me decide.
he was talking about the skittles I think. Neons weren't meant to go fast.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:58 PM   #20
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_beaner View Post
he was talking about the skittles I think. Neons weren't meant to go fast.
Or meant to bump into anything and survive.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:11 PM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
Or meant to bump into anything and survive.
ever seen a bus tap one? I have, they disintegrate

Old 10-07-2008, 02:18 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Well, than they are the same! I'm not sure about the SRT4 but it should be like 03 for 10-12k, and a decent 01-02 V6 now is like 5-7k.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:22 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

I haven't driven my friend's srt4, but i have ridden in it a few times, and it doesn't have the feeling of the mustang. It doesn't even sound good, and it has a magnaflow catback. 5spd Mustangs, even sixxers, have that powerful feel, being rwd, and having a heavier clutch. A 3.8 with decent exhaust sounds way better inside than a neon srt4 in my opinion.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:49 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
I haven't driven my friend's srt4, but i have ridden in it a few times, and it doesn't have the feeling of the mustang. It doesn't even sound good, and it has a magnaflow catback. 5spd Mustangs, even sixxers, have that powerful feel, being rwd, and having a heavier clutch. A 3.8 with decent exhaust sounds way better inside than a neon srt4 in my opinion.

I think mine is too loud inside, plus everything vibrates. Especially those stupid little a/c opennings, they are all lose and buzz all the time! But yeah even a Sixer with a decent exhaust and rwd seems very cool sometimes!
Old 10-08-2008, 05:57 AM   #25
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to modular2valve Send a message via Yahoo to modular2valve

thats the joy of owning a mustang, wouldnt be a real mustang without the squeaks and rattles lol.

96 GT- Who knows what's in it.
modular2valve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 01:33 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Ibanezplayer272 Send a message via MSN to Ibanezplayer272

Like Brent said. I wouldn't be caught dead with a Neon. Put the same size turbo on the six and you'll be pulling away on the srt-4. I hate everything about the srt-4's. I can see the nicest, cleanest one drive past me and I wouldn't even take the energy to turn my head. They sound like ****. I hear people have problems with them ALL the time, for example foul spark plugs way to much. They are basically set to blow up no later then 50,000 miles. And they don't have power windows in the back, they're friggin roll down! Please, do yourself a favor and keep your six. Your saying you have so much done, I don't think exhaust, T-loc, gears and intake is really THAT much. THAT much would be heads, cam, ported intakes etc. or Exhaust, intake, tune, UDP, and some kind of forced induction. Or Nitrous. A 75 shot with the mods you currently have will give a decent srt-4 a run for its money.

2007 Windveil Blue Mustang GT
Mods : Intake, Stubby antenna
Rolls are for fat chicks
Ibanezplayer272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 01:36 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanezplayer272 View Post
Like Brent said. I wouldn't be caught dead with a Neon. Put the same size turbo on the six and you'll be pulling away on the srt-4. I hate everything about the srt-4's. I can see the nicest, cleanest one drive past me and I wouldn't even take the energy to turn my head. They sound like ****. I hear people have problems with them ALL the time, for example foul spark plugs way to much. They are basically set to blow up no later then 50,000 miles. And they don't have power windows in the back, they're friggin roll down! Please, do yourself a favor and keep your six. Your saying you have so much done, I don't think exhaust, T-loc, gears and intake is really THAT much. THAT much would be heads, cam, ported intakes etc. or Exhaust, intake, tune, UDP, and some kind of forced induction. Or Nitrous. A 75 shot with the mods you currently have will give a decent srt-4 a run for its money.
When I said so much I was thinking $$$$. I spent maybe 4-5k so far, I know that might look little comparing to others, but still it's a lot of money, especially nowdays. But I'm getting ready to put about $3k more, this winter-spring. And that's gonna be all from me.....untill I decide to go bigger...you know once you start moding, it never stops...lol!
Old 11-06-2008, 02:12 PM   #28
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Do you have more stuff done than what is in your sig? You have no where near 4-5k worth of parts in your sig...unless someone else installed it all and charged some serious labor. Or does it include the vortech you are selling or sold already?
Old 11-06-2008, 02:25 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
Do you have more stuff done than what is in your sig? You have no where near 4-5k worth of parts in your sig...unless someone else installed it all and charged some serious labor. Or does it include the vortech you are selling or sold already?

Yeah including labor, off course, which is not cheap at all. I also have show mods: both heads and tail lights, chin spoiler, tints, put new tires recently (not really a mod) than I upgraded the brakes...anyways it adds up! I should've kept all my receipts. For example only the exhaust cost me about a 1000, maybe more, I cant remember. Well I think with the s/c it should be 5.5!
Old 11-07-2008, 06:33 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

I would spend the 3-4k on either a power adder or internals to beef up the engine.
You have a nice bolt-on base to make the next step into the engine. Then i would focus on matching that in the tranny and suspension.
A six with a nice power adder or a built 3.8 will give a srt-4 a hell of a time.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:23 PM   #31

Region: North Carolina

if it was me i would stick with the sixer! i've got a 99 mustang with 3.73 posi gears and kn cold air and hedmen headers and stage 1 2 3 jet performance superchips with a upgraded cam in it. and the lambo doors and the interior is completely chromed out! i raced a 2001 GT auto with a cold air and i jerked his **** all over that road. i think the sixer has a lot of potential if you get your statistics right. the srt4 is a great car and all but my friend had one and in my oponion the pistons in the car wasn't the right compression for the turbo cuz he was racing and tached it at bout 5500 and it blew a rod wit only 55k miles on it. so i would stick with the stang! jus keep workin on it.
Mustang=Passion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 02:33 PM   #32
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang=Passion View Post
if it was me i would stick with the sixer! i've got a 99 mustang with 3.73 posi gears and kn cold air and hedmen headers and stage 1 2 3 jet performance superchips with a upgraded cam in it. and the lambo doors and the interior is completely chromed out! i raced a 2001 GT auto with a cold air and i jerked his **** all over that road. i think the sixer has a lot of potential if you get your statistics right. the srt4 is a great car and all but my friend had one and in my oponion the pistons in the car wasn't the right compression for the turbo cuz he was racing and tached it at bout 5500 and it blew a rod wit only 55k miles on it. so i would stick with the stang! jus keep workin on it.
Wow...a worthless post...thank you.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 02:36 PM   #33

Region: North Carolina

yeah screw you there buddy. jus tryin to give sum advice! maybe you should try it sumtime!
Mustang=Passion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 04:00 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Um, if you hadn't noticed, he as over 24,000 posts...you have 4.
Bashing someone who has spent ample time on this forum is not smart.
He has helped me with a lot of issues and given a lot of advice to me and many others on this forum.
Lambo doors and a chromed out interior doesn't do jack s**t to contribute this post, and your "opinion" about the srt4 is pure bulls**t.
Now, lowflyn may have seemed a little harsh, but the truth hurts, a worthless post is a worthless post.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:10 PM   #35
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Well, his post did give his assessment to stick with the 6er which was on topic of this thread...so, it was kind of harsh for brad to call his post completely worthless.

Yes, lambo doors and chromed interior are pretty cheesy, but I think his post was on topic...just had additional info pimping his car.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang