What is pinging? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-22-2004, 03:58 PM   #1

What is pinging?

what is it? How is it caused?

decsribe in great detail?
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2004, 04:05 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Rick0636 Send a message via Yahoo to Rick0636
It is a noise made by an engine caused by too low octane fuel. This can actually cause severe engine damage in worst cases, up to and including holes in your pistons. You shouldn't have to worry about this unless your car has a performance chip or high compression pistons or possibly shaved heads. A stock Ford 3.8L engine is designed to run on 87 octane fuel and any higher than this can actually be bad for your car.
Rick Kilpatrick, AAS Automotive Systems Tech, Alamance Community College, Class of 99. 06 5 speed manual Mustang with Pony pkg : GT Mac Mufflers, true duals with one custom pipe. 2.5" system. GT bumper cover, all installed March 7&8 2006. AFE Stage 1 CAI, Motoblue Underdrive pulley, GT aluminum shifter knob, honeycomb rear blackout panel,and dash kit installed. Roush hood scoop and side window louvers installed. SS taillight trim has been installed, new alum. GT steering wheel installed.
Rick0636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 09:00 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

actually there is more to it than that. pinging can be cause by detonation. detonation is when unburned fuel spontaneously explodes. this will pretty much destroy your engine and will cost you a pretty penny. detonation can be brought on by using high compression with low octane fuel or using a blower of some kind with low octane fuel. the thing is, if you have been putting premium fuel into your car and then revert back to 87 octane, your car will start to ping. simply continue putting premium fuel in your car and it should go away. but remind yourself to not put any higher grade than what your car needs.

if your engine detonated then you are gonna need to buy a new motor. so i hope it was just brought on by the fuel thing.

http://www.mizzoustud.com/pics/conc.png
Concordium is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2004, 09:14 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to tire
concordium pretty much has it. never go below the octane your car is designed to use or your chip specifies.
tire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 09:23 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Wrong dude, pinging, is detonation, just a milder form of it, and I think I already pretty well explained what causes it. Its not caused by going to a fuel that is too low of an octane, though it could be. In the case of a stock 3.8 Mustang the engine is designed to run on the lowest octane that is sold, if you are running more than that, you are just waisting money, and maybe damaging your engine. The only things that can cause the engine to need higher octanes are increasing compression, or advancing the timing with a performance chip, or if you have a 4.6 with a timing adjuster. The ways compression can be increased are with high compression pistons (domed) shaving the heads to increase it, or as you said, adding boost with a supercharger, turbo etc. If you increase the pressure in the cylinder then you will need more octane to slow down the burn, slower burns from higher octane stop detonation from fuels. Also I believe when I said detonation could damage an engine to the point of holes in the pistons, that pretty well destroys it.
Rick Kilpatrick, AAS Automotive Systems Tech, Alamance Community College, Class of 99. 06 5 speed manual Mustang with Pony pkg : GT Mac Mufflers, true duals with one custom pipe. 2.5" system. GT bumper cover, all installed March 7&8 2006. AFE Stage 1 CAI, Motoblue Underdrive pulley, GT aluminum shifter knob, honeycomb rear blackout panel,and dash kit installed. Roush hood scoop and side window louvers installed. SS taillight trim has been installed, new alum. GT steering wheel installed.
Old 03-22-2004, 09:35 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

the way you explained it seemed that running premium fuel would cause the damage to happen to your car. you did not mention the word "detonation" in your post at all. running high compression/boost in your car along with low octane causes detonation. but you didnt specify that detonation was the direct cause of pinging. maybe it was a typo, but i didnt see the word "detonation" at all in your post.

Old 03-22-2004, 09:39 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

I did specify that running higher octane fuel than necessary can damage your engine, and it can. I didn't say it caused pinging at all, I didn't mention detonation, he didn't either, he asked about pinging, and pinging is detonation, it doens't cause it at all, its just a mild form of it. Check my signature, I know what I am talking about here.
Old 03-22-2004, 09:41 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

so do i. nothing personal. because your car pings when it detonates. but whatever dude. its all good on this end

Old 03-22-2004, 09:45 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

pinging is just the slang for pre-detonation. It sounds like your car "pings", it really sounds like you have some bibi's in a metal can and your shaking them around.

Pre-detonation is just that, when you car is detonating in the combustion chamber too early. This is caused by too high compression with low octance fuel, contaminants in the fuel/combustion chamber that would make it harder for the fuel to ignite, and similar problems.

To picture it, think of your piston going up and the fuel ignites before the piston has gone all the way up its stroke......hence pre-detonation.

1999 V6 5-speed
14.6 @ 95 w/ 2.22 60'
Wrecked
stangin99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 09:51 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Pinging to me would be milder detonation, but I could have my facts mixed up here too. Ever see one diesel when you cut it off? Used to be more common back in the mid 70s, things would sit there and run for a couple of mins sometimes after you killed the switch. I am 53, and I have always done a lot of my own car repairs and tinkering, I got my Associates in Applied Science in Automotive Systems Technology in 99 after I was already retired on 100% disability and have never really worked as a mechanic so I enjoy helping out on the Mustang forums as much as I can, I have been driving Mustangs off and on since I got my first one in 67.
Old 03-22-2004, 09:57 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Nicely worded Stangin99!
Old 03-25-2004, 10:07 AM   #12

Is this pinging?

After i shut my 1994 mustang off. I can hear these "ding, ding" noises afterwards comming from the engine bay.

Is that pinging?

Thanks for your replies, you guys are really helping me.
Old 03-25-2004, 10:54 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
That's metal contracting as it releases heat, no?
Old 03-25-2004, 11:12 AM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

Correct, the exhaust system, or the cats most likely, one thing I remember seeing a lot was the a/c condesation hose dripping water on there making a racket.
Old 03-25-2004, 11:25 AM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick0636
Correct, the exhaust system, or the cats most likely, one thing I remember seeing a lot was the a/c condesation hose dripping water on there making a racket.
Yep that does make a racket especially if you park in a garage. Ford did a nice thing designing a A/C condensation hose to drip on the exhaust pipes. helps prevent water puddles on the garage floor in the summer with the A/C on.
Old 03-25-2004, 11:50 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Dude
Yep that does make a racket especially if you park in a garage. Ford did a nice thing designing a A/C condensation hose to drip on the exhaust pipes. helps prevent water puddles on the garage floor in the summer with the A/C on.
lol...

you'll hear pinging in the 2-3k RPM range usually, under load of course.

Sad thing is my car's so damn loud I wouldn't know if I was pinging like a mofo or not.

1999 V6 5-speed
14.6 @ 95 w/ 2.22 60'
Wrecked
stangin99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 12:12 PM   #17
I liek gramer
Legacy

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to WhiteStang99
yeah, the noise ur describing is most likely the ac condensation dripping on the hot exhaust. i park in a garage and hear it all the time.
WhiteStang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 01:02 PM   #18

ok thats good that nothigns wrong.

I never use the AC just to let you guys know. Its cold where i live.
Old 03-26-2004, 08:51 PM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

If you use your defrost, your a/c kicks in periodically. If you dont' think so, just let the car run with the defrost on and watch the a/c compressor, with the hood up of course, lol.
Old 03-27-2004, 12:34 AM   #20
I liek gramer
Legacy

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to WhiteStang99
Quote:
If you use your defrost, your a/c kicks in periodically. If you dont' think so, just let the car run with the defrost on and watch the a/c compressor, with the hood up of course, lol.

hmm. didnt know that. guess ya learn somethin new everyday.
WhiteStang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 09:27 PM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy

Yeah, I forget exactly why, I think it has something to do with keeping the windshield from fogging.
Old 04-07-2004, 11:55 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to Horse Send a message via Yahoo to Horse
How would using an octane rating that was higher than 87 damage your engine? Also Why would running premuim fuel for a while then require you to run premium fuel from then on?
4.2L , CAI, BBK 65MM throttle body, 30lb injectors, SSM ported intakes, FLEX 1/2" spacer, RPM big valve heads, Comp roller rockers and cam, ASP-underdrive pulley, GT rear swaybar, & Quad Shocks, Full MM Coilover conversion, 17" Grey Torque Thrust wheels, FMS Aluminum driveshaft 8.8 rear w/ 3.73 gears, Tri-Ax Shorthrow shifter & SPEC stage II clutch w/ aluminum flywheel
Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 10:27 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to Crispy
Question

Quote:
A stock Ford 3.8L engine is designed to run on 87 octane fuel and any higher than this can actually be bad for your car.
How bad, and what can happen? I started out using 87 but my car seems to go through it like water, and since gas prices are going up, I've been buying 89 which is only $0.07 more, and I get way better gas mileage. Mods done on the car are intake headers and 2.25" H pipe with flowmasters.
Crispy is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang