My Y config exhaust, is it really restrictive? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-22-2004, 06:28 PM   #1
Registered Member
Send a message via AIM to BrooksPS
My Y config exhaust, is it really restrictive?

I have the Y to Y bolt up exhaust. I see articles where people say statements like"If your not going to get true duals then its not worth it." I'm just wondering how much truth there is to that. The 15.1@93 I ran was before the FMS Drive Shaft and I have a hard time finding anyone who runs a speedtrap with the modifications I have. Would it be worth it for me to have my Borlas converted over to the "true dual". I personally don't know?

__________________ 3.8L Lazer Red 5spd---Performance- Nitrous Express 75 Wet Shot, MAC Cold Air, Borla Dual Exhaust, ASP Underdrive Pulley, Jacobs Ignition/Wires, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter. *FMS Aluminum D/S*-Appearence- Razzi Full Body Kit, American Racing Rims.-Times--N/A-15.1@93mph--75Shot-14.2@101 - awful 60' times
BrooksPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 08:56 PM   #2
Registered Member

the exhaust restriction is in the Y pipe. the reason true dual exhaust gives you added power is because it removes the restriction point (Y pipe) from the exhaust system and allows the gases to flow faster and better. with the Y to Y conversion you do have dual exhaust, but you have not gotten rid of the restriction point, thus you are not going to see any power gains. the ONLY way to get power gains from your exhaust system is if you remove your Y pipe and either run 2 separate pipes through the mufflers or you can get an X or H pipe. either one of these 3 ways will give you power gains. the X and H pipe will change the sound of your exhaust though. the X pipe will make your exhaust a little higher pitched and raspier while the H pipe will make your tone deeper. anyway, thats your exhaust system in a nutshell. i could write a couple of pages explaining it all in detail but i dont feel like doin that so i hope you can get the idea from this.

Silver '96 V6
Mods: True Dual Exhaust, Flowmaster 40's, Cobra Diamond Clear Headlights and Side Markers, Shortened Antennas, Blue Dome Light, Metallic Blue Painted Calipers, 4.10's w/ T-Lok coming in a few weeks.
Concordium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 09:09 PM   #3
Registered Member
Region: Wisconsin
Send a message via AIM to 232SCstang
I fully agree with concordium. True duals breathes much better. If it isnt full length true duals, it isnt worth it to modify your exhaust in my opinion. I dont know how much you spent for your exhaust setup, but if you spent a little extra and got true duals, you would be a lot happier. They sound a little better too. Especially with a balance pipe.
1988 Ford Mustang LX
306ci 5 speed

1990 Isuzu Pickup
2.3L 5 speed

1990 Acura Integra
1.8 5 speed

All vehicles in color of text k:
232SCstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 11:56 AM   #4
Registered Member
Region: Indiana
Send a message via AIM to RGR

I say NO if he never plans on a cam, or porting.
We did a single 2.25" to duals exhaust setup on a ~190 RWHP
98 Mustang and only got 2.0 RWHP (that is TWO)
and no perceptible gains over ~ 2-3 TQ in any RPM range.
But then again, our tester then strapped on an ATI 11#
SC kit and needed the duals. But it was an interesting
test, and apparently even around 190 RWHP the single
was adequate, but borderline. Most stock cammed SPI's
are running @ 170 RWHP MAX and maybe 180 RWHP with a tune.
Single exhaust with a good muffler (2.25" size) should be plenty
for a stock car. But most people are not stopping at simple
boltons, and duals are a great idea.
Originally Posted by Flex:
You are the true cam master dude...
RGR is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang